• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about dually to single?

bigbird189

I looking to buy a deuce but I don't like dually wheels. My question is can I just use the outside wheel to make it a single? I have seen deuces using the inner wheel but I saw a picture of a deuce using what looks like the outside wheel. I know I would need to flip the hubs. Any info what is needed. I don't what to buy single wheels or super single wheels but just want use with what I will have. I want to buy some nice bigger tires then whats on it but thats about it? Do I have to buy single wheels? aua

rattlecan6104

OK bigbird... I am gonna try and not beat you up too bad as you clearly are a newbie with only two posts, both of which in this thread. First off, check out the new members forum and post up a greeting there. Next before making a post like this one, utilize the search function. It will help you learn more without asking a question that may have been asked several times before. Some of the guys that have been here for a long time tend to get really irritated by that.

On to your question. First off, on a dual wheel setup all the wheels are the same, the front axle ones, the rear inners, and the rear outters. All the same rim, all the same size tire. The original tire size is 9.00x20. The biggest tires you can go with before rubbing issues occur are 14.50r20's or 395's. However these tires typically require wider rims. Apparently 14r20's will not fit as they are taller than the 14.50r20's. I dont understand how that can be, but then again thats the way some things are. The largest MILITARY tires I personally have seen on these rims were 11.00x20's. I'm sire if you look in the civilian market you can find taller. 46 inches is literally the tallest you can go before the rear tires start to rub against each other. If you are wanting to just stick with the tires you have but run them "singled" you have a few options. Since you want the deep side of the rim facing out, that narrows it down a little more.

The first option is simply pulling the wheels off and remounting one wheel per hub deep side out. This will keep the rear stance as wide as it was, however it will put additional strain on the bearings.

The second option is to flip the hubs so that the mounting flange is centered inward more, then install one wheel per hub deep side facing out. This is better on the bearings than the first method. Really the only special tools required to flip the hubs are a 3 inch hub socket and a Budd socket with a socket turning device of your choice powerful enough to break those lug nuts loose, the rest basic hand tools can cover.

Either way you are running 4 less tires thus reducing your potential maximum load capacity. Me personally, I would just leave them be until I got the super singles I wanted. Hope this helps, and before you ask how to flip the hubs, use the search feature :wink:

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would add that, given the load rating of even the 9.00-20 tires, you will find that the maximum rated weights of the truck are still supported/exceeded by the tires run as singles.
If you go to 11.00-20 or equivalent, the combined load ratings of the tires far exceed the rated weights of the truck.

DeucesWild11

Here's a visual for ya with stock rims, first pic is rear hubs flipped and the next the rear hubs not flipped. I like the Not flipped for me as when it is flipped the 395's can rub the inside of my wheel wells on the M105 trailer bed that's on it. Unflipped will give you a wider profile in the back vs. front so the tires won't track in the same line as the front. I will not get into the debate of putting larger tires on stock rims, there are plenty of threads on that discussion.

Attachments

bigbird189

Thank you very much for the info, I did check a little on the search forum section before posting but not much, so sorry about that, as the for the tire question I was just wondering how big can I go on the stock wheel before I have to change them out to a different wheel, so that was answered thanks, I will still have all three axles but just don't like the dually wheels on each axle. :D I'm very new to the deuce world. The day I joined all I did was look around. Well Now I have finally decided to buy one and will be hopefully be picking one up next week and when I do I will post pics. By the way I found this website by accident and glad I did.

m109a2

Wait till you have a driver side rear flat like I did on a 1,200 mile recovery.I found it a lot easier to drive to a truck stop have a meal while somebody else grunts.When the Temperature is below zero and a frozen road or any surface why risk it.A stock deuce wheel and tire is just a bit different from a pick up.I too thought the 395 would look cool,Not any more.If I was you research more,load,traction,handling,towing and everything else.Now I have a buddy that put 11s,tranny kit and a lds and brother this beast does 74 mph,I know i was there we tried it out late night on the I10 we were lucky enough to not see a another vehicle for miles.Safety first.Must admit that was the fastest I have ever seen a deuce go.Now my old deuce will do 52 mph with a m35a2w/w,air assist,hardtop, m105 tong matted with a m35 frame and a 109 box.Al

KsM715

You guys realize this thread is from 2012. That being said, I had a flat on one of the inner tires about 150 miles from home years ago when I was driving my deuce home from Oklahoma. Since I was unloaded I just kept going watching the mirror for any signs of trouble. Got it home and was able to change it in the comfort of my own driveway and a much better supply of tools

dmetalmiki

If you look up pictures of the M34 you will be able to see the 'flipped' version as the Army had them. (and a lot of Swedish versions). Note,however the wheels on the rear are not deep side out.
I did mine, but did not like the stance being too much inboard. Tried the deep-side out, looked even worse, so i made my own adaptors and put A.E.C. 1200x20 wheels on the truck. (flipped) Ace! good M.P.G. and nicer cruising speed at lower R.P.M.s. Steering improved, as the rears where not 'pushing on' the fronts in corners, ESPECIALLY in the wet!.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks