• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about house batteries - M1083A0 with a 17ft Winnebago on the back

I have a 17 ft Winnebago mounted on the back of the M1083 instead of the bed. Used spring mount, just like tanker trucks. I need to build a battery bank to run the AC. I have a 24 volt military diesel generator for charging them. I looked into FeLiPO4 (Lithium Iron phosphate) and so called "Lead crystal" aka Lead-calcium-gallium plate batteries with SiO2 based electrolyte. I don't like the limited temperature range of the Lithium iron phosphate batteries. The only downside of the "lead crystal" battery seems to be lack of suitable charger options. Does anybody in this forum have experience building battery banks?

Last year's pic. Since then the frame got extended in the back to make towing possible. The tank got upgraded to a larger one from M939 (without the PTO notch) and the cab was insulated with dynamat and painted from the inside. I have air ride Bostrom seats in the cab. I'll post more pics in a week or two, once the cab is painted and alpine sound system is installed.

Attachments

coachgeo

24 volt military diesel generator for charging them. I looked into FeLiPO4 (Lithium Iron phosphate) and so called "Lead crystal" aka Lead-calcium-gallium plate batteries with SiO2 based electrolyte. I don't like the limited temperature range of the Lithium iron phosphate batteries. The only downside of the "lead crystal" battery seems to be lack of suitable charger options. Does anybody in this forum have experience building battery banks?...
Similar boat as yourself.. but little further along..... actually committed pretty much now to a system since have most parts. Here is some food for thought in all your batt and charging quest for info.

Before reading below.... if your familiar with Lithium batts you likely know what a BMS is. Below info is NOT a typo... BBMS is NOT same thing as a BMS so do not confuse yourself as you read on.

REDD's charging system

. diesel Aux Power Unit to be generator plus some ... will swap it to 100amp 24v alt. to charge Aux/House batts. Will start on its own batt or truck engine start bat?? Will have step down to 12v for its own components (has engine preheat, cab heat and cab AC built in)
. 1000w solar.... Each 100w panel to be paired with another for 24v output. May put more panels on the tow behind Jeep as well.
. multiple weatherproof (IP68.) 24v MPPT solar chargers. (one per panel pair) Multiple is for redundancy mostly. If one panel gets damaged ... full output from others still maximized. MPPT sorta does this anyway... but even more so with multiple controllers. Also it might give me smidge better charge in clouds/shadows
. 110v PowerMax 50amp 3 stage smart lithium or lead (will be on lead) RV converter/charger.
. alternator (200amp neihoff dual volt) if it last.. came off a hummer
. NATO will stay intact allowing to charge EVERYTHING lead and lithium off another 24v Military truck or generator.
. BBMS (Battery BANK Management System)... invented for live on sail boats that already have good large lead House Banks... and owners wanted to add lithium to the mess most efficient way as possible.
. 24v Battery charge isolator.. Common item in RV's etc. When "start bank" is full by alternator it flicks alt charging to another bank .... in my case will be (#1) Aux/House bank. This particular one though is more like DC-lead/DC-lead charger with a switch to not allow charging to house bank till start bank is full. Also has a button you can use to jump start batts from house batts. More common type literally switches alternator output between start/house banks.
. 100amp Battery equalizers for each lead bank
. pulse de-sulfators on each lead bank.

Battery system Plan. NOT TYPICAL- can not, recommend this setup NOR not recommend against it either.. just what I will be trying. 3 banks of batts, each own reason and purpose . Two are House banks and work as team though.

. House Reservoir bank 400 ah at 24VOLTS (two 200ah 24v LiPo4 rack batteries (alibaba) ( #2 in details)
. Aux/House bank (#1 in details). four 12v common walmart like lead acid batts- 200ah total? Maybe AGM.
. Start bank (two 12v generic walmart lead acid batts? arragned in FMTV 12v/24v OEM-ish arragement to operate truck.

More-detail on banks

(#1)- Aux/House bank w/Lead chemistry 24v. This is main use bank. Numerous reasons why
A.- Winching, welding, etc. are harsh on battery. Lead more robust.
B.- These tools are not yet commonly designed for how fast lithium can pump energy into them so it is hard on them too. TOOLS is the "Aux(ilary)." reasoning in this bank's makeup and name.
C.- charging 24v lead is what I have on hand already..... especially the costly Neihoff 200amp or upgrade to civy alt.
D.- what need to buy still is less costly way went about it... BBMS less costly and opens higher amp charging abilities than most Dc/Dc per dollar . 24v lithium charging $tuff is ouch expen$ive per potential amp charge.
E. short term cost lower.

(#2)- Lithium Reservoir Bank 24v. This will be like a HUGE reservoir behind a damn. Like water release from damn; electricit released from lithium will be managed by BBMS when solar, APU, etc etc is outputting to little/not at all- BBMS will flow energy from #2 Lithium "Reservoir" into the #1 Lead Aux/House bank in attempt to keep it topped off at all times.
------Lithium bank will be mounted in a heated area of camper .... and may have additional heat when needed for charging thru Solar (managed by BBMS). Thus in winter/ but camper not in being heated mode.. may put heater on them. Maybe?? lots of van lifers find interior mounting is sufficient and not need to heat batts. ESP. if chargers etc. are set do not allow charging below certain temps..... which 99.9% of all solar chargers do via battery temp sensor or via mounting the solar charge controller in same area as battery to keep its temp sensor dongle near batts.

What is BBMS- It is a charging manager between a WHOLE lead bank and a WHOLE lithium bank that manages electrical flow between them. BBMS does charge managing in BOTH directions very smartly between both battery banks (each of different chemistry- one bank lead. one bank lithium) It manages the flow within the charge parameters for each chemistry. BBMS caries out its management programing via amperage sensor which gives it smarter management ability than Dc/Dc chargers (and many others) which go by voltage settings. BTW a battery with a BMS is for a that single battery only, and typically is housed inside each single battery. It sole purpose is PROTECTION not usage/charge managing.

Thus in general REDD's charge set up it will go like this: EQUILIZER(s) balances Lead Banks and a pulse desulfator comes into play as well.
: additional isolated small 24v solar panel charges Lead Start Bank directly when sitting
: alternator charges Lead Start Bank when CAT is running
: ---Battery isolator opens when Start Bank is charged and begins charging Lead Aux/house bank instead
OR / Anything else that might be charging Aux./House bank like APU, grid tie or solar.... which is also hooked to Aux/House bank too
:--- energy flows from Aux/House batts immediately to lithium thru the BBMS till it is full.
:--- when Lithium full..... final full charge done to Lead Aux/House gets completed.

NOTE- as I understand it..... By design of typical charge regulators/controllers combined with mother nature's flow of electrons- any bank with multiple chargers will accept (in general) charging only from what is pumping most significant electrons into them. Charger gizmo with less charging output will sense the more powerful incoming charge from other gizmo and back off..... Example.... Alternator charging at available 140amp or so will force solar charging at 60amp, when both on same bank, to dial back to mostly not be charging.

In Detail- How CHARGING works with BBMS managing lithium Reservoir BANK & partnering Lead Acid Aux/House BANK .
:------incoming charge (solar, APU, alternator, grid etc.) will flow thru Aux/house Lead batts to Lithium Reservoir. Mostly due to path of least resistance. It moves right on thru lead batt bank to the BBMS which manages that flow into the lithium batt bank. Maybe slows a little as it goes thru lead?? with lead chemisty slowing it down some??
:-------- Multi stage charging managed by BBMS into Lithium when energy flows from lead to it. It does same in other direction of Lithium to lead.
: ---------------When Lithium BANK is Full BBMS.. disallows* any more charge in. Should be fairly quick with alternator/grid.. matters how discharged it got.
:--------------- Once lithium full; any/all charging gizmos in action then charge ONLY the Aux/House Lead batt Bank till it is full too......during this phase charge parameters for the lead is controlled by gizmos be it Alternator regulator , solar charge controller, Grid charger etc. Again this should be quick with alternator/grid.

How POWER DRAW works when BBMS is managing lithium Reservoir Bank, AND Lead Aux/House Bank . Does not matter if power draw is for House use or Aux. use... all power is drawn from the Lead Aux/House Bank. (except start and vehicle operation power which has it's own bank)

A power draw happens- comes out of Aux/House. When charging is happening at same time (Alt, solar, APU, grid....) and charge output matches/exceeds draw ... its a match... Lithium reservoir stays at it's level or goes up in charge if charge in, exceeds draw out.

If draw out exceeds charge in like say at low light hours, engine off, APU off so not to bother Mother Nature or other Campers when at boondock camp site??? Yet the refrigerator, cooking pot, Air Con, and tools etc. all in use- BBMS will send charge from the lithium Reservoir Bank into the lead Aux/House Bank (multi stage charging happening based on Lead charge parameters programed in the BBMS) will replace any electrical storage drawn out, (up to a point) Hence why I term this lithium bank as a "Reservoir". So in essence when no /not enough charging is going on- the BBMS opens managed flood gates so Lithium reservoir can flow into the Aux/House's Lead Acid bank to keep it full all the time (up to a point .. BBMS wont allow over discharge of lithium).

So again- benefits of two different chemistry making up the house bank system- Any hard stuff on batts like winching with 24v winches, 24v tools, Welder ... etc. is ONLY beating up on robust less expensive to replace, lead batteries. The Lithium keeping the lead Aux/House bank most always at full charge; makes lead last longer than typical. Lithium is happy to be discharged more often... so all good there too. Team work.

So that is REDD's plan. Maybe some of this drivel helps you make decisions.

*either DC/DC charger or BBMS is a must between lead and lithium batteries; esp. when alternator charging. When a lead battery bank system that has an alternator on it..... it eventually gets fuller and regulator tells it to STOP putting out energy. This typically is a tapered slow down to stop. All is good.

Issue here though is when Lithium banks are hooked to a typical alternator .... A lithium batteries internal BMS has set point(s) that say STOP- might be for it reached full charge, or there is a cell imbalance or, too hot or too cold etc. BMS says STOP "do not allow any more charging". This stop is at the battery side at its BMS and NOT from Alternator regulator... Alt. does not know a stop is coming... BMS stop is FAST and sharp, alternator's regulator ability to recognize need to stop sending charge output is micro seconds slow in compensating for the denial of charge output by lithium BMS....... during those micro second; Alternator is still pumping out juice full bore... and that will near instantly kill an alternator cause that high voltage output packs up inside the alternator components with no where to go and bricks the components..

Hence why DC/DC chargers of some sort.. or BBMS arrangement is must when alternator charging lithium. Lead recieves charge from Alternator "foremost" with either device. Protects the alternator designed for lead charging. There is other reasons too...... such as lithium accepts charge so fast it will overheat a typical alt. Dc /Dc might help here some. That is still debated. BBMS will not help that part says inventor... that said he has a video out on how to add temp. sensor to a typical alternator to dial their output down protect them form overheating. Otherwise you need a specialized smart alternator/regulator. I "think" an appropriate sized Military Neihoff alt. and regulator will be Smart enough here. It does have an Alternator temp sensor like Smart Alts too. Am contemplating forced air additional cooling on my alt just in case.

NOTE- DC lead to DC Lithium chargers are a more tried and true system for lead charging lithium in campers etc. It became industry standard and is what 99.9% of all information out there talks about... standard cause it was invented first??? BBMS is tried.. but not near as much. Future new standard???

Last edited:

coachgeo

Side note: for those with 12v systems

There is a work around for NOT overheating common non smart alternators when using it to charge lithium . BUTTT it is only available for 12v Alts. !!! It is a battery isolator with a timer in its circuitry. When Lead start batt bank is full it will switch alt. charging instead over to the 12v lithium house bank user installed.. Very common charge battery isolator like device.... BUTTT with an added feature in that it only allows charge for a short time. In theory it stays there only long enough for alt to NOT get overheated. A "timer" flips it back to lead start bank for a while. ... such as 15 min charge allowed into lithium..... then timer switches charging back to lead for allotted time (5min?) allowing for alt to have time to cool off some; then via timer it flips back to lithium bank again ( if start lead bank still full) .... wash rinse repeat till house lithium bank is full-

So it is NOT smart..... just manufacture assumes how much charge time wont cook an alternator, and how much time an alt. needs to cool. Manufacture then has a a timer to flip it back and forth based on that.

Again; so far, this device only available for 12v charge systems.

Last edited:
I found the following options for 24V to DC battery chargers:
Victron buck-boost 50 amp DC to DC converter $672

Sterling power 35 Amp DC to DC converter, for charging LiFePO4 batteries:

Sterling alternator to battery charger:
For some reason sterling claims that their alternator to battery charger is not ideal for lithium batteries. I will call and find out why. I suspect that it has a regulator built in, but no step-up converter. So if your alternator puts out 27.8 volt, that's all you get to play with. And the lithium battery bank may want a 28.4 volt. And if you make a habit of undercharging your lithiums they may develop a "memory". I will call sterling to find out.

Another option would be to remove the voltage regulator from Niehoff and wire an external regulator. I am not sure I want to mess with Niehoff, though.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side note: for those with 12v systems

There is a work around for NOT overheating common non smart alternators when using it to charge lithium . BUTTT it is only available for 12v Alts. !!! It is a battery isolator with a timer in its circuitry. When Lead start batt bank is full it will switch alt. charging instead over to the 12v lithium house bank user installed.. Very common charge battery isolator like device.... BUTTT with an added feature in that it only allows charge for a short time. In theory it stays there only long enough for alt to NOT get overheated. A "timer" flips it back to lead start bank for a while. ... such as 15 min charge allowed into lithium..... then timer switches charging back to lead for allotted time (5min?) allowing for alt to have time to cool off some; then via timer it flips back to lithium bank again ( if start lead bank still full) .... wash rinse repeat till house lithium bank is full-

So it is NOT smart..... just manufacture assumes how much charge time wont cook an alternator, and how much time an alt. needs to cool. Manufacture then has a a timer to flip it back and forth based on that.

Again; so far, this device only available for 12v charge systems.
You can also get a DC->DC charger which regulates both incoming and outgoing voltage/amperage.

So, for example, you get a 50A charger, and it'll only draw 50A, not max out 200A and trickle down.

I plan on getting the biggest alternator I can find, as I plan on at least 20kwh @ 24V, and want to be able to recharge the bank with the truck engine when driving and if solar isn't the greatest (winter).

coachgeo

I found the following options for 24V to DC battery chargers:
Victron buck-boost 50 amp DC to DC converter $672

Sterling power 35 Amp DC to DC converter, for charging LiFePO4 batteries:

Sterling alternator to battery charger:
For some reason sterling claims that their alternator to battery charger is not ideal for lithium batteries. I will call and find out why. I suspect that it has a regulator built in, but no step-up converter. So if your alternator puts out 27.8 volt, that's all you get to play with. And the lithium battery bank may want a 28.4 volt. And if you make a habit of undercharging your lithiums they may develop a "memory". I will call sterling to find out.

Another option would be to remove the voltage regulator from Niehoff and wire an external regulator. I am not sure I want to mess with Niehoff, though.
yes Sterling seems to have the best 24v stuff. Next best on amp/dollar I think too. One thing I like about the BBMS..... since my alternator at 24v side is around 130-to 140amps available ...... I can use as much of that to charge lead or lithium as want... not limited to 30-50 amps. BBMS will control that.

coachgeo

you won't find any other dual 12v/24v regulator to run a Neihoff. Ron has experimented with running Neihoff on just one voltage and a few other experments in different ways to use the alt..... (all still with OEM regulator.).. some works.... but very poorly... poor enough to be a waste of time if I recall right.

besides that.... the Neihoff regulator is smarter than others already with it having a deregulation based on temps already to help not damage alt.

yes Sterling seems to have the best 24v stuff. Next best on amp/dollar I think too. One thing I like about the BBMS..... since my alternator at 24v side is around 130-to 140amps available ...... I can use as much of that to charge lead or lithium as want... not limited to 30-50 amps. BBMS will control that.
I would be careful with how much I draw from the alternator on the 24 volt side. I would build in a healthy safety margin. While the alternator may be rated for peak 140 amps, it is not designed to put out that amperage for hours. It can do that for short periods, but if you force it to put out close to max output for hours, the alternator will overheat and burn. Remember, the alternator was designed primarily for charging the starter batteries. Which, under normal circumstances, don't get discharged more than 10-15 %. Which in turn means that the alternator was never expected to work hard. If you look at alternators used in transit buses, you'd be amazed at how much bigger they are. That's because they need to run all the lights. Which, prior to LED adoption, was quite a lot.

you won't find any other dual 12v/24v regulator to run a Neihoff. Ron has experimented with running Neihoff on just one voltage and a few other experments in different ways to use the alt..... (all still with OEM regulator.).. some works.... but very poorly... poor enough to be a waste of time if I recall right.

besides that.... the Neihoff regulator is smarter than others already with it having a deregulation based on temps already to help not damage alt.
I read more on the UK site of Sterling and their AB24100/24200 is not recommended for lithium, because the device does not limit current. Which is unfortunate if the battery bank can consume more than the alternator can produce. I am wondering if I can rig a current limiting device, and whether it is worth the trouble as opposed to multiple sterling BB242435 DC to DC battery chargers running in parallel.

Or may be I should just go with a Lead Crystal battery + AB24200 and call it a day.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note about using battery power to run A/C . An A/C unit will kill a huge battery bank very quickly. A/C takes a lot of power. I only have experience with a 12Volt. System but I had a 43 ft Triple E ( Canadian built very well made and insulated and efficient ) RV set up for boondocking with a single furnace/A/C unit not several rooftop units. This system was much more efficient than several rooftop units and I had 8- 120 Watt solar panels and 8- 6 Volt Golf cart house system batteries set up to give me 12 Volts and through a Converter Charger system to run the 120 Amp system. If the temps got over 85 to 90 degrees the A/C unit would bring the batteries down to 20% in as little as 2 to 2 and half hours and that would be in bright sunlight with all Solar panels working well. I had a 10.000 watt Diesel generator it would kick in automatically when the Battery's were at about 20 to 25% and it would always kick in in hot weather every 2 to 2 and half hours and you knew it was working to recharge the system. I eventually set it up to kick in when the Battery's were at 50% as it was better for everything. If I was not using A/C I do not think I ever had to start the Genset once no matter how long we were boondocking. We always ran out of water or filled the black tank and had to go dump or fill but never had energy issues. Even in cold weather using the furnace Sat TV microwave coffee maker ect. I had 2 large 12 Volt batteries for the coach system that could not be drained by the house system. This information is worth just what you paid for it and is only my experience and opinion.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note about using battery power to run A/C . An A/C unit will kill a huge battery bank very quickly. A/C takes a lot of power. I only have experience with a 12Volt.
Yes, and no.

A lot has changed, even in the last 5 years.

LiFePo4 is actually more cost effective (and lighter) than SLA.. It used to be ~$1K for 100AH of Li battery.. That number is now lower than $300 (for the basic, no frills batteries). A Lithium battery can be discharged 100%, whereas conventional SLA batteries could only be discharged 50%-80% depending on model, before doing damage, and with much fewer recharge cycles.

So, you can have much more battery these days, for less weight, that lasts longer.

Then you pair that with some super efficient mini split units, units that draw 500-600W when running, instead of the 1500W+ of conventional roof-mounted A/C....

Then you add in the advancements and cost reduction in solar.... and it's an entirely new ball game.

Let's say you had a 'massive' 8 battery bank of GC2s...

65lbs * 8 = 520 lbs
~$150 * 8 = $1200
~6V @ 200AH ea = 12V @ 800AH / 50% Depth of discharge = 400AH usable
3000-5000 cycles when maintained properly

Compare that to 4 LiFePo4 batteries.

25lbs * 4 = 100 lbs
~$300 * 4 = $1200
12V@ 100Ah ea = 12V @ 400Ah / 100% Depth of discharge = 400Ah usable
4000-7000 cycles with virtually zero maintenance - 80% usability remaining at the end of the cycle life. So, even if they 'die' at 5000 cycles, they're not dead, they're just reduced in capacity to 80Ah ea, and will continue to degrade after that.

There are only 2 things that LiFePo4 has issues with, which are easily mitigated.

1. High current. It's not uncommon for GC2s to be used as a backup to start the engine. Unless you have a LOT of Lithium batteries, that's not really feasible, as most only come with 100A charge controllers, that limit current to 100A for both charging and discharge. You can, however, bridge them to the starting battery, provided it's not shorted or completely dead, and use your lithium battery back to boost/charge your starting battery.

2. Cold weather. While LiFePo4 batteries can be used below freezing, CHARGING THEM below freezing is a big no-no. Most batteries have a low temp shutoff, which will prevent it from being charged if it's below freezing. Also, higher end batteries have heaters, and you can add them to virtually any battery setup. They should be mounted in the cab or in a compartment that's protected from the elements. They're not like GC2s or other SLAs that you can just dump in a holder outside and expect them to work no matter what.

---

So, cheaper and more efficient batteries, solar panels, and A/C units, means running A/C off the grid is a lot easier, a lot cheaper, and a lot more sustainable than it used to be, even just 5 years ago.

I am contemplating "Lead crystal" vs. building a battery bank out of LF280K prismatic LiFePO4 cells. I can get 4 Lead crystal batteries (12V 180 Amp hr each) for a grand. That's 360 Amp hr at 24volts, or 18.4 Kilowatt hours, if I got my math right. My mini split supposedly draws 750 watt per hour. If I set the DOD (Depth of Discharge) to 50%, I should have over 8 hours of AC running. They say that at 50% DOD I am looking at cycle life of approximately 3000 cycles. Well, batteries are like brake pads, they wear out if you use them. And the more you use them, the faster they wear out. I can spend another grand after I wear them out. 3K cycles should last me a while, I am not planning on living in the RV full time and 3000 cycles is 8 years at one cycle per 24 hours. The downside of lead crystal is size and weight, but my truck is an M1083, so I don't care.

If I go lithium, I can get automotive grade A LF280K cells for $150 a piece. I will need 8 in series to get a 24 volt system that has approximately 280 amp hr. figure $1200 for cells, $150 for BMS, $150 for hardware, odds and ends. $1500 for 6.72 Kilowatt hours with Lithium. Granted, I can discharge lithium deeper (80%) and still get the 3000 cycle life. For an apples to apples comparison, I have lead at 9.2 KW (18.4*0.5) and lithium at 5.4 Kw (6.72*0.8). So it's 11 cents per KW for lead and 28 cents per KW for lithium. The difference is that Litium will retain 80% capacity after 3000 cycles, and lead will be either completely shot or close to it.

The next question is the charging system. It looks like with Sterling AB24XXX (24100 or 24200) and lead everything should be plug and play. With lithium I will either need some current-limiting device in addition to AB24200 ($800), or I need to go with DC to DC battery chargers like BB242435 which are pretty expensive ($434 per 35 Amp). I am still unclear on the details, will try to contact Sterling to find out more.

Aside from capacity I must consider the rate of withdrawal. For lead, on the most aggressive 10 hour cycle I will get 36 Amps. That's 860 watts per hour. I have not verified how much the mini split draws, especially when it starts up the compressor. Lithium has the advantage here, because at 1C you have sustained discharge rates up to 280 amps. Lithium will supply more juice per unit of time than you will ever need.

Recce01

So, we have an AO 1083 as well. We elected to do 4 Battle Born GC3 batteries wired in Series / Parallel to make for a 24V system with 540Ah . We decided on a DC air conditioner (24V). We have 2kw of solar on the roof to keep them topped up, or to run the AC on standard setting all day from the sun. We are regularly producing 35 amps at 24v from our solar. In the case that we need to use the trucks alternator to charge that battery bank, the Victron Buck Boost will be used. We will have to limit the output of the buck boost to 17 Amps to keep the factory alternator happy. Once we swap to a dual conventional alternator system, we will be able to produce 50 to 70 Amps @24v.

The lithium is very worth the investment, some of them even have built in heaters if you are in very cold climates (we do not have these). Our box is extremely well insulated, so we haven't had any issues with Temps being too low. The box is currently in the stage of interior construction, so we have been using it like a 20' insulated fiberglass tent for now 😀.

We have been running all our temporary appliances all day, and it doesn't even touch the battery bank. Solar, solar, and more solar is the best way in my opinion. An inverter/charger from victron would be a good way to make use of the generator, or more simply a DC to DC converter if you have 24V out on the generator. Best of luck, your rig looks awesome!

Scott
Screenshot_20230612_004744_Instagram.jpg

Recce01

I am contemplating "Lead crystal" vs. building a battery bank out of LF280K prismatic LiFePO4 cells. I can get 4 Lead crystal batteries (12V 180 Amp hr each) for a grand. That's 360 Amp hr at 24volts, or 18.4 Kilowatt hours, if I got my math right. My mini split supposedly draws 750 watt per hour. If I set the DOD (Depth of Discharge) to 50%, I should have over 8 hours of AC running. They say that at 50% DOD I am looking at cycle life of approximately 3000 cycles. Well, batteries are like brake pads, they wear out if you use them. And the more you use them, the faster they wear out. I can spend another grand after I wear them out. 3K cycles should last me a while, I am not planning on living in the RV full time and 3000 cycles is 8 years at one cycle per 24 hours. The downside of lead crystal is size and weight, but my truck is an M1083, so I don't care.

If I go lithium, I can get automotive grade A LF280K cells for $150 a piece. I will need 8 in series to get a 24 volt system that has approximately 280 amp hr. figure $1200 for cells, $150 for BMS, $150 for hardware, odds and ends. $1500 for 6.72 Kilowatt hours with Lithium. Granted, I can discharge lithium deeper (80%) and still get the 3000 cycle life. For an apples to apples comparison, I have lead at 9.2 KW (18.4*0.5) and lithium at 5.4 Kw (6.72*0.8). So it's 11 cents per KW for lead and 28 cents per KW for lithium. The difference is that Litium will retain 80% capacity after 3000 cycles, and lead will be either completely shot or close to it.

The next question is the charging system. It looks like with Sterling AB24XXX (24100 or 24200) and lead everything should be plug and play. With lithium I will either need some current-limiting device in addition to AB24200 ($800), or I need to go with DC to DC battery chargers like BB242435 which are pretty expensive ($434 per 35 Amp). I am still unclear on the details, will try to contact Sterling to find out more.

Aside from capacity I must consider the rate of withdrawal. For lead, on the most aggressive 10 hour cycle I will get 36 Amps. That's 860 watts per hour. I have not verified how much the mini split draws, especially when it starts up the compressor. Lithium has the advantage here, because at 1C you have sustained discharge rates up to 280 amps. Lithium will supply more juice per unit of time than you will ever need.
When doing your figures for KW storage use 13.6V for Lead, and 14.4 for Lithium. Our system is 1080Ah @12v, so 28.8V x 540Ah@24V =+/-15.5 KW. Batteries with integrated BMS were roughly $8400 delivered with 10 year warranty. Spendy, but we plan to live in ours once completed. I think I did my math right... 😬

When doing your figures for KW storage use 13.6V for Lead, and 14.4 for Lithium. Our system is 1080Ah @12v, so 28.8V x 540Ah@24V =+/-15.5 KW. Batteries with integrated BMS were roughly $8400 delivered with 10 year warranty. Spendy, but we plan to live in ours once completed. I think I did my math right... 😬
Thank you, excellent point about lithium being 14.4V. I got the lead crystal figures from the manufacturer's documentation, but now that I am looking at them, I realized that I made a mistake and 4x 180 Amp-hr batteries are going to be 9.2Kw-hr. So, my actual price per kw is 11 cents before pro-rating for 50% DOD. And my pro-rated capacity would be 4.6 kW-hr. If we take the 50% DOD into account, lead becomes more like 22 cents per watt-hr.

If we use 27.2 volt for lithium, that's 7.6kW-hr. Prorated for 80% DOD is 6.1 kW-hr. Given $1500 build cost (8x LF280K grade A cells with BMS and misc hardware) the price comes out to 24 cents per watt-hr. If you build your own FeLiPO4 battery using top quality cells, the price per watt hour is almost the same as lead crystal.

From the economy standpoint LiFePO4 makes sense. The only issues now are technical. BMS can "dump the load", if it decides to abruptly disconnect from the alternator. To protect the expensive alternator from a voltage spike I will need alternator protection device, which is under $100. I will need multiple DC to DC converters ($360 for 35Amp 24v to 24v version). Figure $1100. But it's best practice to use them even with lead batteries. Consequently, if you build the system for reliability, the cost is the same for unheated FeLiPO4 and lead crystal. Which is surprising.

So, we have an AO 1083 as well. We elected to do 4 Battle Born GC3 batteries wired in Series / Parallel to make for a 24V system with 540Ah . We decided on a DC air conditioner (24V). We have 2kw of solar on the roof to keep them topped up, or to run the AC on standard setting all day from the sun. We are regularly producing 35 amps at 24v from our solar. In the case that we need to use the trucks alternator to charge that battery bank, the Victron Buck Boost will be used. We will have to limit the output of the buck boost to 17 Amps to keep the factory alternator happy. Once we swap to a dual conventional alternator system, we will be able to produce 50 to 70 Amps @24v.

The lithium is very worth the investment, some of them even have built in heaters if you are in very cold climates (we do not have these). Our box is extremely well insulated, so we haven't had any issues with Temps being too low. The box is currently in the stage of interior construction, so we have been using it like a 20' insulated fiberglass tent for now 😀.

We have been running all our temporary appliances all day, and it doesn't even touch the battery bank. Solar, solar, and more solar is the best way in my opinion. An inverter/charger from victron would be a good way to make use of the generator, or more simply a DC to DC converter if you have 24V out on the generator. Best of luck, your rig looks awesome!

Scott
View attachment 899638
Awesome rig! I love it! Total composites box?

Do you have the original A0 alternator (Niehoff N1506) still in place? I believe the original alternator is rated 100 Amps total for 24V and 12V sides combined. Which isn't a lot, so 17 Amp DC to DC charger is a prudent choice. Are you using an alternator protection device, or is the buck/boost converter taking care of the load dumps by lithium BMS? Which 17 amp DC to DC are you using?

I upgraded the alternator to 260/140 version. Marine guys suggest using no more than half of alternator's max rated amperage for charging house batteries. If I go with two 35 Amp Sterling BB242435 DC to DC chargers, I will be able to charge the house battery at 70 amps. With three I could even do 105, but I am not sure I want to be this aggressive. I also have a MEP-016D 3KW 28V DC diesel generator, I intend to use that for charging when parked. I need to look up the specs on the alternator head on that generator, but it's probably in the 100 amp range given 3KW rating. I will need to decide whether to charge at conservative 35 amps or aggressive 70.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind Mini-Splits use an inverter compressor system which ramps up the compressor gradually to whatever load the called temp is needed to be.

No more 600% system shock with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks