• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about house batteries - M1083A0 with a 17ft Winnebago on the back

Recce01

Awesome rig! I love it! Total composites box?

Do you have the original A0 alternator (Niehoff N1506) still in place? I believe the original alternator is rated 100 Amps total for 24V and 12V sides combined. Which isn't a lot, so 17 Amp DC to DC charger is a prudent choice. Are you using an alternator protection device, or is the buck/boost converter taking care of the load dumps by lithium BMS? Which 17 amp DC to DC are you using?

I upgraded the alternator to 260/140 version. Marine guys suggest using no more than half of alternator's max rated amperage for charging house batteries. If I go with two 35 Amp Sterling BB242435 DC to DC chargers, I will be able to charge the house battery at 70 amps. With three I could even do 105, but I am not sure I want to be this aggressive. I also have a MEP-016D 3KW 28V DC diesel generator, I intend to use that for charging when parked. I need to look up the specs on the alternator head on that generator, but it's probably in the 100 amp range given 3KW rating. I will need to decide whether to charge at conservative 35 amps or aggressive 70.
We haven't installed the buck boost as of yet, but the plan is to program it to pull/distribute a max of +/- 17 amps with the stock alternator. I can see the voltage drop on the gauge by switching on the red dot AC system we installed in the truck 😬. We will be considering the dual alternator option as soon as time and $$ permits. You should look into the buck boost, as it was explained to me, it should isolate and protect the base vehicle while programmable to extract the desired juice from said vehicle. Sort of a "smart" all in one solution.

Thanks for the compliment on our project. It is a total composites box. Our build process is documented on IG @EndlessAtlas.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built a LifePo4 battery for mine.
8 cells
24v 280Ah 100a BMS

3 - 330watt panels (one is deployable)
And a Sterling DC-DC charger if needed 24v 35a

I have a 5000btu window rattler in place of the original box AC

With good sun I was still seeing 8-11 amp charging with the AC on off the three panels.

Attachments

Third From Texas

I have a 24 volt military diesel generator for charging them
I'm curious about this as I have a 10hp diesel 24v charger.

Early on, a buddy told me in no uncertain terms not to attempt to charge a lithium or LiFePo4 battery with any charging system not specifically designed to allow for such. So I replaced the charging head with a generator head (that failed miserably one cold night). I took his word for it, but now I wonder "why not"?

I know that 24v wall chargers (NOCO, etc) have a setting for the various types of battery. Can you just slap a military charger on a bank of 24v lithiums and be done with it?

Electricity isn't my forte. I normally just attempt to not let the magic smoke out of electronics. but smoking a bank of $1500 batteries would be a bad thing.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont they have to be charged like agm batts thru pulse charger ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question.

Only way for me to find out would be if the magic smoke escapes....then I know it was wrong.
Theres got to be some SMART folks in here that would know about the ion batts i have no idea but seems like i remember someone said it was a pulse type charger just get online and call one of the litium battery websites they should fix you up with info ! I just dont want to spend that kind of loot on batteries the agms have worked under me for 20 yrs with much success and alot cheaper and you dont need that much juice to run one of these trucks/habitats unless youve got a tanning bed and a house stove in it lol

Mavcaster

Worth noting that LiFePO4 batts should not
be charged below freezing. I work with this battery chemistry a lot in HF communication systems and even my charger I have for them has a temp sensor so to inhibit charging when ambient temp is below 32 deg.

Last edited:

ToddJK

I'm not good with all this electrical stuff and batteries, but I know when I get around to making my camper like I want too from a M105 trailer, I plan on just using a good size power bank from Jackyl or Ecoflow and charge it from a power inverter on the truck or even from a wall outlet, but they also make solar chargers to keep them charged. The ones from Ecoflow are pricey but they seem to have a good output range and hold substantial charge for long periods of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks