• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about insuring a 1987 AM General (Harder to get insured)

Lonesome715

I know a lot of questions have been asked about getting deuces insured. But I am having a year and brand specific problem. We just sold our 1967 Kaiser Jeep and it was easy and very cheap to insure. Now we are trying to get my 1987 AM General insured and we are hitting brick walls. The issues we are ruing into is it is too new, too big, or they just do not insure Am Generals. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can speed this up? I have got to have something to drive.

roady

That is interesting. I am getting ready to insure my 1987 Deuce in MD as soon as I get my title. I hope I dont have no problems

Lonesome715

I am not sure if we tried GEICO yet.

Who made your 89? A Kaiser Jeep is easy to get insured. If you have an AM Genral who do you have it insured through?

flyusn99

Lonesome715, I have a '71 AM Gen M35A2 and called about 18 different insurance agencies before finally going with Gulfway. It seems to be VERY state specific on who will or can cover what.
All the agencies that came recommended on similar threads wouldn't even touch my truck in Florida (and its not me, I've got no tickets or accidents in the past 15 years and that still didn't help).
The only one that came close was State Farm but they would only insure my Deuce if I ALREADY had a policy whith them. When I asked about insuring my daily driver with them to get the policy they said they still wouldn't insure the Deuce (since I could not be considered an existing customer) I never thought I'd hear of an insurance company actually turning away business but there you have it.....
Good luck....

flyusn99

I think so. A couple of the companies had VERY restrictive requirements, you have to have it in a locked garage, you can't drive it to dinner, you can't drive more than X miles a year you can't drive it farther than X from your house. Gulfway doesn't have any of those restrictions, but you pay a little more for that. The restrictive policies were only $80 a year but what is it worth to you to know your insurance company isn't going to back you if you get in an accident that transcends their myriad of restrictions? My Gulfway policy for the Deuce and the 105 trailer is $280 a year, no milage or distance restrrictions, don't need a garage and you can actually drive it around, just not use it as a daily driver..... Its all about what you're after...
If you decide to go with them, Carol Smith is the lady to talk to and she's very nice.... Tell her I sent you...

ctmustang

Be very careful and ask if your potential Ins. carrier has restrictions on a 13,000 lb. vehicle. I had a policy with Grundy for over a year before I read in the policy that they wouldn't insure anything over 10,000 lbs. I found that alot of ins. co.s have the same restriction so be sure and ask.
CT2cents

greenjeepster

I am not sure if we tried GEICO yet.

Who made your 89? A Kaiser Jeep is easy to get insured. If you have an AM Genral who do you have it insured through?
It is AM General but my insurance card from Progressive has it listed as an American Ambassador. You cannot put it on your personal vehicle policy through them... has to be a commercial policy, it cost me about 260.00 per year.

NRG

I have a 1985 AM General M35A2. I have it insured through Farmers Insurance for liability on a personal policy ( non-commercial ) for $24.00 a month.

Lonesome715

The 67 Kaiser I just sold was around a $100 a year through USAA with no restrictions. I wanted am AM General to be my keeper and sell the rest. Now I wash I kept one of the Kaisers and just switched the beds. I appreciate all the suggestions so far, I would love to hear more.

dittle

What kind of insurance are you after (collectors/regular/commercial)? That will help with some of the suggestions.

MARINE BRAT

Anyone that has ins on 1987 or newer Am General Please give me the Agent's name and number that you got ins through and how you got around insuring 1 13,000 lb vehicle. I am running into very large brick walls. I have contacted USAA, Progressive, Geico so far. I have tried personal, collectable and now am trying commercial.:evil:

jimm1009

I'm not sure if it would help but perhaps if you show them a picture of your older truck and take a picture at the same angle and elevation of the newer truck and then take them to the agent and say "what the ****, over"?
The trucks are the same no matter what year they are and who makes them.
Ask them to tell you the difference between the two and go from there.

I have Gulf State on my 1972 AM General that was made with Kaiser-Jeep tooling. Not too much in the way of restrictions and no garage requirement.
i can also have rear passengers (for parades only).

10/20/10 here is Lousiana for about $140 per year (Now 15/30/15 after 01/01/10).
Next year it will be 100/300/100 for about $180 per year as I worry about "suit happy" drunks pulling out in front of me and getting squashed.

jimm1009

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have State Farm insurance on my 1969 Kaiser Jeep. When I got the insurance, they didn't even ask the manufacturers name. I simply told them it was a 1969 M35A2 and gave them the weight and bed type. They contacted the regional office for a quote and I didn't tell them the manufacturer until they wrote the policy. Mind you that this was for liability insurance only.

greenjeepster

Anyone that has ins on 1987 or newer Am General Please give me the Agent's name and number that you got ins through and how you got around insuring 1 13,000 lb vehicle. I am running into very large brick walls. I have contacted USAA, Progressive, Geico so far. I have tried personal, collectable and now am trying commercial.:evil:
Progressive Direct: Commercial policy.

MARINE BRAT

I think so. A couple of the companies had VERY restrictive requirements, you have to have it in a locked garage, you can't drive it to dinner, you can't drive more than X miles a year you can't drive it farther than X from your house. Gulfway doesn't have any of those restrictions, but you pay a little more for that. The restrictive policies were only $80 a year but what is it worth to you to know your insurance company isn't going to back you if you get in an accident that transcends their myriad of restrictions? My Gulfway policy for the Deuce and the 105 trailer is $280 a year, no milage or distance restrrictions, don't need a garage and you can actually drive it around, just not use it as a daily driver..... Its all about what you're after...
If you decide to go with them, Carol Smith is the lady to talk to and she's very nice.... Tell her I sent you...
Looks like I may be having some luck with this one. I am waiting for Carol to call me back. She is the one that quotes the policies for these vehicles. YAY! Keep your fingers crossed, Im getting an insurance quote search HEADACHE!

NRG

A 1985 AM General M35 is the same exact truck as a 1987 AM General M35 other than being 2 years newer. Heck all the M35A2s are the same truck. The only problem I had with insurance was that some of the other agents weren't able to find AM General as a manufacturer they covered. So they couldn't give me a quote or anything. Farmers Insurance didn't give me a bit of problem.

The Janiter

People - just a suggestion - look at my post in SF-97 goofs - you will find name and # for Jean w/GL titling dept.

The reason I requested a SF-97 that said "Jeep - GPD" was for simplifying title and insurance problems. General Products division means nothing to them and does not show up on listings for vehicles - or AM General or the other different manufactures names.

Insurance underwriters and title registration offices have so much trouble - they don't recognize The manufactures name.

Remember if it's not in the computer the way "THEY" have it - it will not show up.

Even the same truck you insured last year (M35a2c )with a different manufacture name and year may not list the same way this time, in there books.

Simplify - ask for a name on the SF-97 Recognizable to every one - Remember WE are not dealing with fans of Military Vehicles.

Jeep-GPD -- Jeep-AMG or what ever the year and designation is.

This MAY solve some problems

It may require a duplicate SF-97, but GL did not charge me for this, it just took 3 more weeks to get.

Hope this helps - ask those you are dealing with if the word "Jeep" in the title would solve the problem.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks