• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about lights and super singles

Redneckbmxer24

I should be picking up my deuce this weekend if everything goes according to plan and I'm looking into the first thing I'm going to do to it which is proper lighting.

In VA we're required to have lights at the 4 corners of the bed if its over 7' wide, roof clearance lights, and 3 running lights in the middle of the rear. We're also required backup lights and a tag light. I have the roof clearance light figured out, my buddy is a great welder so we're going to fab up a headache rack and put clearance light on it and I've already found the 24V lights I'm going to use on ebay.

I'm a little puzzled about the rest of the lights though and could use some help. I'm wondering first off where everybody gets their lights?

I found "M35A2 Brackets for Side Marker Lights" at spunkys motorpool for $5 a pair that I figured I'd buy for the side markers on the bed. What lights would properly mount to these? For the 3 running lights on the rear what do you guys normally use and how do you mount them? I've seen some deuces with them mounted to the right of the trailer power plug in on the rear but the pictures aren't detailed enough to see exactly what they are and how they're mounted.

For the reverse lights I found some OD green spot lights at eastern surplus that are $200 a piece but look very nice I was considering. How do you go about wiring these to light up in reverse? I could always just wiring it up to a toggle switch since the law doesn't say they have to automatically come on when put in reverse, just that it has to have reverse lights. Also what do you guys usually use for a tag light? This 24V stuff isn't easy to find.

The tires aren't as critical as the lights since all the tires are the NDT's and have good tread but supposed I wanted to put super singles on it with the rims that don't require modification to the axles, would I have to do anything to the body to clear the larger tires? Would a lift be required?

Thanks in advance.

Redneckbmxer24

bill2444

I'm a day or two from posting a few pics of my completed headache rack with built in clearance lights for the cab. Went with 12v LEDs from wally world. I tried one out attached to 24v from the truck. Left it on for 24 hours and it was still working, so i'm giving it a shot. ( local parts store was going to be a few hundred dollars for 24v clearance and marker lights)

steelandcanvas

Are you adding all these lights because it's required or because you want to? Does Virginia require all those lights even though the vehicle came from the factory without them? I can understand a tag light, but the rest? Maybe think twice about $200 a piece back-up lights, there alot less expensive ones out there. Just my 2cents.

bill2444

They are required in michigan, "If not factory equipped then you need to retrofit" quoted to me from the guy that writes the tickets.

Redneckbmxer24

I'm a day or two from posting a few pics of my completed headache rack with built in clearance lights for the cab. Went with 12v LEDs from wally world. I tried one out attached to 24v from the truck. Left it on for 24 hours and it was still working, so i'm giving it a shot. ( local parts store was going to be a few hundred dollars for 24v clearance and marker lights)
Thanks but I'm going to use 24V bulbs, it has caused harm to electrical systems, not just burning up bulbs.

Are you adding all these lights because it's required or because you want to? Does Virginia require all those lights even though the vehicle came from the factory without them? I can understand a tag light, but the rest? Maybe think twice about $200 a piece back-up lights, there alot less expensive ones out there. Just my 2cents.
Yes Virginia requires them for vehicles after 1969 even if it didn't originally come with them. Even though I'm registering with antique tags I can still be pulled over and ticketed and cops around here will do it. Not to mention if I sign the paperwork and have it notorized saying I did my own inspection for the VA antique tags and that it has all the lighting it needs to I can be charged with a felony if I get pulled over without the proper lights.

I did a little searching last night and found 24V KC daylighters for $55 each. I ordered 2 for extra headlights, 2 to mount on the headache rack I'm going to build and 2 to mount on the rear as flood/reverse lights.

They are required in michigan, "If not factory equipped then you need to retrofit" quoted to me from the guy that writes the tickets.
Yep same here in VA. I don't want to get a ticket for it after filling out a form for antique tags saying that it has proper lighting and then get pulled over and charged with a felony for not having it.

At this point I've got the reverse lights figured out and I found a 3 light bar for trailers on ebay I'm going to try for the rear and go match up 24V bulbs at a parts store. I'm still trying to find some heavy duty marker lights for use as roof clearance lights and side marker lights. I found a ton of lights that would work but it would only take one whack with a small branch to break them.

steelandcanvas

Atankersdad had some very cool armor headlights for sale, look in the classifieds. Prices were very resonable. I got two from him and mounted them on the rear of the Deuce this past weekend.

Redneckbmxer24

Thanks for the advice, I already got the reverse lights taken care of though. I ordered 4 KC daylighter 24v flood lights 2 of which I'm going to use for reverse light and 2 I'm going to mount to the bumper. I had initially ordered 6 but I called and changed 2 to long range lights and ordered 2 H3 24V bulbs to go with them that I'm going to mount on the headache rack I'm going to fab up.

Rodger

I like to have back up lights and a back up alarm. I use a headlight switch. A short pull gives me the lights and a long pull gives lights and alarm. 24 volt back up alarm is cheap on ebay.

-Rodger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks