• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about serpentine conversion

jesusgatos

In the middle of a serpentine conversion on my CUCV using what think are 'early' HMMWV parts, including 200amp 12/24V alternator and the big cast bracket with integrated p-pump mount. Wondering if can add a pulley with a clutch to this alternator. SS member bought parts from said he didn't think so, that the clutch pullies were all made for newer style serpentine kits, and aren't compatible, won't line up. Is that right?

jesusgatos

Lemme try asking this another way. Anyone able/willing to take a measurement for me? The distance from the face of the alternator behind the fixed pulley to where the forward edge of the serpentine belt rides on the pulley is right around 2", what is that measurement with any of the over-run pullies? Or maybe it would be easier to take a measurement from where the fwd edge of serp belt would ride to the face of the pulley the nut tightens down on to? Doesn't really matter, any reference point would be super helpful.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is new style serp setup and old style, only new style gets the gen clutching pulley.
also, I assume your aware you need a new serp water pump and backing plate? As well as correct fan blade....

jesusgatos

Yes, thank you. From what understand, have a complete 'old style' serp setup, with the big cast alt / ps pump bracket. Found a clutch-pulley and am going to attempt to modify the alt mount to make it work with the old serpentine system.

603 water pump is the last revision of the high-flow 6.5L civilian water pumps, and is supposed to do a better job of balancing coolant flow between L & R cylinder banks, but the shaft is much larger diameter. Going to modify the HMMWV water pump pulley to press onto that shaft, and thread it to accept a spin-on fan clutch and Duramax fan.

Have to make custom AC compressor mounts too, red dot won't work with serpentine system and banks turbo kit, and want to mount a second AC compressor for onboard air. It's a whole wacky custom deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks