• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about the deuce fuel system

Lonesome715

I am now addressing a very nasty fuel system on the deuce I am trying to get running. The tank was full of bad fuel when I got it. I have drained the fuel out but the inside of the tank is nasty with slimy build up. I am assuming the rest of the fuel system is just as bad. I have several questions before I dive into this portion of this resurrection.

First, I have never gone this deep into a deuce. In the last photograph will some one please identify the parts? Which one is the fuel pump? Also, how do I know if the fuel pump is any good? How does it work, is I electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic driven? Can I tear it apart, clean it, and reassemble it, or is it the type of part I throw away and replace?

Next, there is a crimped line that is stick out of the frame. I have a red circle around it. What is that for? Also, what is the empty threaded hole for? Is that threaded hole and that crimped line suppose to connect?

What is the round thing at the rear portion of the tank? Is that for the fuel gauge?

What should I do about the IP and injectors? Will clean fuel from the rest of the system clean them, or do I need to tear them down as well?

And the last question for now, I am assuming the sending unit the large round thing close to the opposite edge with the large fuel line coming out of it. I know that thing is covered in gunk. Is that something I can clean and reinstall or is it a replace and toss part as well?

Attachments

det rebel

first off you need to disconnect the fuel lines from the injection pump that would be the rubber line comeing from the fuel filters remove the fuel filters then remove the line from the tank now for the hard and inprotant part you need to run gas down each steel line till the fuel runs clean then fun diesel and transmition oil (about 2 cups per gal) to relubricate the lines send me a pm with a phone number if you want to know more or want to talk about what you need to do next

Lonesome715

Are you referring to the steel lines that run to the injectors? Those are still lose because some of the plastic line that runs between the injectors were missing when I got the truck. I replaced a fuew of the as well as the line that runs from the fron of the IP to the first injector.

I sure would like to pick your brain if you have the time. I am going to hoefully get back on this job tomorrow.

det rebel

no those lines should be ok because there won't be air to the ones between the injectors and the injection pump i am talking about from the tank to the injection pump

Lonesome715

Are you referring to the pump under the cab, or the one on the side of the engine? i know some people call the first pump lift pumps or injector pumps as well as the one on the engine.

det rebel

make sure they are a good shop cause some of them don't know what there doing and i am always glad to take on a challenge and help another ss member

det rebel

it will take a lot of work but you will be able to do it and the only problem i have had with them sitting for a long time is the metering valves in the injection pump (side on engine) sticks and the idle is high but yea but you need to make shure that the lines from the lift pump (tank pump) dont have the sludge in them and that clean fuel is getting to the injection pump(side of engine) before you try and crank it

Lonesome715

The shop I am going to use did a tank of an air craft tug I have. It turned out great. I hope to have the same luck with this one.

If this truck has a lift pump in the tank, what is under the cab?

Lonesome715

It sounds like there is not a big difference in this truck and other oild burners I have worked on. Hopefully that will be no more surprises. But I know that is wishful thinking.

Clay James

The last pic is the air pack for the brake assist. Don't go pouring fuel in those lines! If that's behind the battery box you've got a split brake truck. Lucky!

Heavysteven

Yeah airpack I made some videos of how to pull the tank pump with some tips maybe this can help.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FRVangtoQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Lonesome715

I was wondering why the deuces I had in the past does not have all that behind the battery box. It looked as though the fuel lines ran to it. I am glad you cleared that up for me. This truck is different in a lot of ways compared to the older models I have owned.

That is a helpful video, thanks. That is alos a fine looking truck you have. So the in tank lift pump, is it rebiuldable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks