• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions b4 I buy a deuce

amick

I have been reading this site for several months and I am now ready to buy my first deuce. But I have a few questions I couldnt find answers for. First, the deuce I like dosent have side gates. Are they difficult to build? Secondly, how much can I expect to pay for a set of bows and a cover? Help greatly appreciated. jon

SMOKEWAGON66

Side gates as in like, a drop-side bed, or do you mean the troop seats that support the bows and tarps? You'd be better off to just buy a set of troop seats rather then build them in my opinion, unless your a master crafstman versed in metal and wood working lol. Im not sure about the prices of these, or the bows and tarps, but Im guessing 300+ for each set.

amick

To be honest, I dont care ff their are troop seats or not, i just want to be able to add the bows and cover somehow. Thanks

SMOKEWAGON66

Well, troop seats include the frame that makes up the bottom part of a bow and tarp set. The fold down seats can be removed and are not necessary, but the stakes and runners that they attach to are. If you could fabricate some solid rectangular tubing "stakes" to go in the pockets of each side, then a bow and tarp would still easily work. I think it would still require some lateral support (like the 2 rows of wood on top of troop seats) to keep the frame rigid. I think you could make your own easily, and once you aquire a bows and tarps set, it should mount no problem. Im not sure the measurements for them, but Im guessing you might find the info about all that in one of the TMs. Good Luck! [thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:
It all depends on the condition of the vehicle, the number of bidders, the distance you are going to have to drive/transport vehicle, if the vehicle starts/runs/drives or not, and probably at least a dozen other criteria. We've seen them go for as little as $300 for a nice-looking unit to $5k for a base-model with rust. I've bought an M109A3 for $4500 that was restored from the frame up a few years ago in KS, and found another in almost as good of shape for $1600 about a year later. So to answer your question regarding how much should you pay, the answer is it's all up to you. How much do you think you should pay that makes you comfortable with not feeling like you stole it (which in these days, probably won't happen thanks to too many big-mouths out there letting everyone know about the GL website - and yes, I'm guilty too), to not feeling like you need to take a second mortgage out on your house. One thing you don't want to do is get into a bidding war over it. I usually look the pictures over really well then make a mental note on what the very most is I would pay for it, then if we get to that amount, I walk away and tell myself it was not meant to be. I have also found the private sector is now getting flooded to the point one might find a better deal on one of these machines there than on GL.
And that's about all I have to say about that...[thumbzup]

SMOKEWAGON66

Still don't know what you mean about 'side gates'. I'm thinking drop-sides too, but not real sure.
He means the troop seats, not a drop side bed. I also think his price question was aimed mostly at the bows and tarps kit, not so much the truck itself....but I could be wrong.

eagle4g63

Actually the bows "legs" go through the troop seats to the bottom of the bed so I don't think you really need the troop seats at all. I am sure that they might add some strength to the rigidity of the bow set but you can always just add some 1x4's to the bow legs to do the same thing and only have a few dollars into it instead of buying the troop seats.

Just a thought.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Actually the bows "legs" go through the troop seats to the bottom of the bed so I don't think you really need the troop seats at all. I am sure that they might add some strength to the rigidity of the bow set but you can always just add some 1x4's to the bow legs to do the same thing and only have a few dollars into it instead of buying the troop seats.

Just a thought.

That is correct.

paulfarber

Any decent sheet metal shop should be able to make the stakes and legs.. they are simple 90deg bends. Measure the ID of the stake pocket and reduce be 1/8 or so for wiggle room.

Buying them is an option.. shipping them may be a deal breaker... unless you just get the metal and add your own wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks