• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions / discussion about General Mechanic's Tool Kit

Elektroman99

Dear forum administrators, if I started the thread in the wrong section, please move the thread, thank you.

Hello all,

at the American GM off-road vehicles there is a tool kit, which is called "Modernized General Mechanic's Tool Kit" - material number is probably "NSN 5180-01-483-0249 / 5180-01-483-0250; LIN T28688". Via Googel I found this US Army Shop, which probably offers some kind of GM Tool Box - Link

My question to the here experienced forum users, if there is possibly the possibility to put together a similar functional box via civilian manufacturers.
I realize, of course, that I can get all the tools included in the tool kit on the civilian market. I would now be interested to know if anyone knows of a similarly functional tool box (3 drawers, hard plastic, lockable) in civilian form and if there is a list of the tools one "realistically" really needs.
Has anyone dealt with this once? Is there perhaps a thread where the "GM Tool Kit" and alternative procurement is discussed?

Why do I ask the question, I would like to create a similar tool box, but of course primarily with the ulterior motive to have in the vehicle itself a tool box to be active in breakdowns / minor repairs without a workshop.

Best regards

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do a search for the term used here, which is GMTK, they were made (put together by really) by Kipper Tool among others. You should be able to find many threads discussing them that way. They do NOT have any impact tools (or powered tools in general). There were a large number of different tool kits made with the same external appearance. The differences were all in the tools that they stocked - mechanic, armorer, electrician, aircraft, etc. a good place to start learning more would be > https://www.kippertool.com/military/pdf-catalogs-skos-documents.html HTH.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a GMTK that goes with me on any trip. You can do an amazing amount on work with what's in this kit and maybe a couple other special pieces, from changing injectors on an LB7, to swapping a transmission in a Civic. I've added a couple tools but basically original.

That said, if I were to build a "civilian" version, I would probably start with something like Craftsman's Rally Box. I was looking at them before I got the GMTK. There were a couple versions, form 2 to 4 drawers. Top mounted carry handle. Had a kinda rough, bedliner-type coating.

1620052593674.png

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly, I have a gmtk and I prefer the horrible freight 301 piece tool kit. The biggest thing for me is the 6 point sockets. They are getting hard to find any more. Also, I've owned the kit for many years and can attest that I've mistreated it many times, it still gets the job done! I do reccomend a separate wrench kit, it does not come with enough wrenches.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
at the American GM off-road vehicles there is a tool kit, which is called "Modernized General Mechanic's Tool Kit" - material number is probably "NSN 5180-01-483-0249 / 5180-01-483-0250; LIN T28688". Via Googel I found this US Army Shop, which probably offers some kind of GM Tool Box - Link
This thread is a little old but a bit of additional info. There are other NSN’s for thes kits. The two provided above we often referred to by the last 4 of the NSN and ‘kit’. Both of these kits are 1st generation of the modern GMTK. The 0249 kit was assembled by Kipper with primarily SK and Cresent tools. The 0250 kit was assembled by Danaher (now out of business) and used KD (also out of business) And Allen tools w

Armstrong Tools also makes a kid In an improved tool box. There are others qlso

Guyfang

Staff member
The words General Mechanics Tool Kit, go way back. I had a GMTK in 1973, that has no resemblance to today's GMTK. There is or was, an SB, Supply bulletin, that was issued to us for each type of Tool Kit. It had an inventory and pictures of all tools, to insure that even slow pokes could know what to pick up when the CO. yelled out, "Half inch drive, 6 inch long, ratchet extension". In today's Army, they have SC's, or Supply catalogs. For instance SC 9999-01-SKO. I think this one is for medical tool kits. A little research in the net would bring up a SC for the "GMTK" I am sure. SKO stands for Sets, Kits & Outfits

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks