• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions for those that have done the electric fuel pump mod

SRB1976

I have some questions about doing the electric fuel pump mod. I want to bypass and eliminate the mechnical pump. My question is how did you guys run your fuel line from the inlet line on the frame rail to the fue filter inlet line? and what can I use as a block off plate? Would a small block Chevy plate work? How well does the the pump work when going off road or climbing steep grades? Truck doesn't starve for fuel or no over fueling problems? I am going to run the Airtex E8153. Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

I ran mine to the stock location and cut the metal hose that comes off the fuel pump abd bypassed the mechanical one.i installed the pump on the passenger side on the frame rails. you can use a SBC block off plate. my pump works great i have no stalling issues. but since i am crazy i run both a mechanical and a electric fuel pump.

cucv1833

I had a Mr-Gasket electric fuel pump on my M1008. I just used it as back-up and for changing fuel filters (bleeding). I plan on Changing all my rubber fuel line and adding and electric to my M1009 and use the same way. But looking for a better brand. Mine was install on frame rail pass. side like most people have done it other threads.

kapnklug

I'm running a Walbro FRB-22 electric pump mounted outside the pass. frame rail, just behind the pass. door. Electric pump is really the way to go. A small-block block-off plate will work, but I left my non-functional mechanical pump in the loop for a year or so. When I finally removed it, I bent the metal fuel line up vertically just as it passes the firewall, so that it comes up under the stock filter about 6" away. Then connected with short hose.

Dukeboy

I abandoned the stock fueling route when I added a second tank. I replaced all the fuel lines with bio safe stuff, can't remember the name. After the tank swithching valve I run into a spin on NAPA prefilter then a Mr gasket pump all on the drivers side frame rail, then up to a spin on racor filter/seperator mounted on a bracket I fabbed that mounts between the fender and the master cylinder. I think i made my block off plate and adapted it for the oil return from the banks turbo, but again my memory is horrible. over all very happy with the electric pump.

SRB1976

I did the conversion today and I'm glad I did. Removing that old mechanical pump was a pain in the butt. I can't imagine replacing it with a new one.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember the N12 Mr.Gasket pump is made to push fuel so mount it at the first hard line break coming out of the tank. Leave the mechanical pump in place.

keefer

are you guys mounting the fuel pump on the inside or outside of the frame rail. im wondering if the exhast will be a problem. doesnt seem like a whole lot of places that i can mount it that isnt right next to exhast. my instruction manual says not to put it anywhere that is 140 degrees or higher. thoughts?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
INSIDE the frame rail

At least on the M1009 it's NOT an issue for the exhaust pipes - can't say for an M1008 though

I have NOT needed it for my M1028A2 so I can't say for any of the pickup variants

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks