• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions for those who’ve done dump bed conversions

162tcat

Hey guys,

I’m getting ready to start a dump bed conversion on my m923 so I though it would be good to learn from what others have done before I venture out on my own and do something stupid. I have a general list of questions below but feel free to add any pics or comments you may have.

1. What did you do right?

2. What did you do wrong or would do differently?

3. What did you use for a hoist and how much weight have you dumped with it?

4. What did you do for hinges? Custom or ?

5. How is the bed and drop sides holding up? Did you reinforce?

6. What did you do for tailgate?

That’s all I can think of for now but please feel free to add any other useful info you can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyReb

I did a 24 volt electric driven pump on my M35A2. It is slow but since I am not doing commercial work, the speed is sufficient. Chose the electric for better control. Have had the standard PTO driven system on commercial/civilian trucks and it can be a pain shifting between gears and neutral to raise and lower the bed while trying to move OR NOT move. Again, it would be insufficient for a true business or commercial application but works for use on the farm. Did nothing to strengthen the bed or tailgate. Choose to simply make more trips with less weight. The standard bed design is not really user friendly for dumping operations like trying to spread gravel evenly, etc. Can't remember the make/model of the unit. Hope this helpful.

Kbarnes0

I'm in WA. Not a 900 series, but have the M1090 dump truck. If it helps you are more than welcome to get your eyes on it, or just ask what you need to know. I can pull deminsions from pivot points etc, diameters etc.

From what I've seen the dump kits seem to work really well in the youtube vids I've seen.

162tcat

I have an m817 but I just don’t need 2 trucks and I’m coming to the end of the bigger projects around my property so making the m923 a dumper should fulfill the need when I need a load of this or that without having to maintain, store and insure 2 trucks.

Here is my plan.
Hydraulics: clutch pump so I can run winch and dump without the limitations of tranny PTO.

Hoist: PH625 rated for 24k installed at center of bed should get me slightly over 50 degree and 20k+ dump capacity.

Bed: minimal reinforcement around where hoist attaches and hinge area.

Drop sides: as-is for now because they are convenient when loading pallets and whatnot but will weld to bed if it becomes an issue.

Lukes_deuce

I have an m817 but I just don’t need 2 trucks and I’m coming to the end of the bigger projects around my property so making the m923 a dumper should fulfill the need when I need a load of this or that without having to maintain, store and insure 2 trucks.

Here is my plan.
Hydraulics: clutch pump so I can run winch and dump without the limitations of tranny PTO.

Hoist: PH625 rated for 24k installed at center of bed should get me slightly over 50 degree and 20k+ dump capacity.

Bed: minimal reinforcement around where hoist attaches and hinge area.

Drop sides: as-is for now because they are convenient when loading pallets and whatnot but will weld to bed if it becomes an issue.

I have a PH520 on my 923a2. This is the 10 ton version. I used their entire kit but ordered it with a 24v electric over hydraulic pump. I routinely had 7 yards loads of fill and crushed concrete in the bed and it would dump every time. 7 Yards seems to be the limit on a stock bed before it starts spilling over the bed sides. If you were raising the sides, then you could add more. The hydraulic scissor has been good, no leaks in 3 years so far. The hinges seem to be on the smaller side but I keep them greased and no issues as of yet. I had a mounting plate made for the very end of the truck for the hinges to be welded too.

As for improvements, I would add in reinforcement to the frame where you mount the scissor. I have it on the factory cross brace over the rear end and with a full load it bows a little.

Other than that, I had to lift the bed a few inches, to gain enough clearance. I used a 4x4 under the bed rails instead of the original wood spacer. Your hoist is quite a bit bigger dimensions, so I would think you need to make a custom upper hoist mount to the bed.

Artgtr

I have a 923 & I’m planning on doing the dump conversion. I’d like to keep it looking as stock as possible. I had contacted a local truck fabrication shop, they said they have done a lot of these. Conversions for local onion farmers ( they only use Military trucks) in the Black Dirt area of Pine Island, NY.
He gave a price of $5k completely done, & take about 3 weeks once he starts. I didn‘t get into the details because, I didn’t want to waste his time. Figure a 10 ton kit off of eBay would run roughly $2K +/- . So about $3K labor & fabrication. Considering throw some cash & credit card & done - 3 weeks pick up truck. His work is guaranteed & stand behind it. Been doing the take truck to quarry put 6 tons +/- get home sweep off with back hoe, than shovel the rest off. Also used a small dump trailer - put 4 tons - thought I was going to kill it. it did work out nice dumping the load all in one spot. Also wigged out my trucks towing system.
Good luck - keep us posted on your progress & pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks