• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on a Deuce

Norseland

Hello all,

Ive been combing the Duece thread for a while but decided to ask some questions I have.

I have a '68 Kaiser Diesel, non turbo.
Anyone know the quickest place to get a manual?, I see the TM's are posted but thought I'd fair better with a book in my hands.

I Have a leaky head gasket that may be worse than I thought, any thoughts on where to buy and price?
Besides that I see my atmospheric tube (i think thats what you call it) that goes down towards the ground smokes a bit, is this normal?

And I suppose lastly, how the hell do I work the wipers?
Havent figured that one out yet, Is it something to do w/ working it maualy first, how do I get the red button out again! Ha!

Any help, thanks

john

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Questions on a Duece

Manuals can be had from many vendors and almost always on Ebay. Reprints available at Portrayal Press anytime. As far as the head gasket, most vendors should have them. Specify that you want the latest head gaskets. Some blowby on the road draft tube is normal, no need for alarm. The wipers are air controlled. Crank the wiper valve counter clockwise until airflow moves the wipers. Each wiper motor has a red reset button if needed. I'd wait and read that manual before you operate this truck much. You need to over the brakes with a fine tooth comb before operation and check the brake fluid almost daily.

Norseland

Thanks Kenny,

Well as of now the brakes will send ya through the sheild!, but I see in the other post you talked about replacing backing plate bolts I beleive from White Owl.
Ive checked fluid earlier today (after reading your post!) and looks good, any other tips for the brakes?
Thank's

john

ida34

They will lock up right up to the point that the pedal goes straight to the floor. It is a single reservoir and when the fluid is gone it is gone for all the brakes. Newer Air Force trucks have a two chamber master cylinder but most of our trucks do not have this setup. Most modern cars on the road have two chamber MCs for safety. If one side develops a leak then you still have a little bit of braking from one of your two brake circuits. I just picked up a truck and the brakes were touchy. When you put the pedal down it would stop hard like you were going through the windshield. I checked the fluid and it only had enough to slightly cover the bottom of the reservoir. The single chamber master cylinder is why we need to check the fluid all the time. Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I enjoy mine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was playing with my wipers the other day and I pushed the red button in and it wouldn't come back out. The wipers won't work with the red button stuck in. I tried every way in the world to pull the button back out with my knife blade and such but couldn't get it back out. I finally cranked the air valve wide open and the air pressure popped the button out and the wiper started back working. I don't remember for sure but I think the red button is to "park" the wipers. After having the button stuck I think I'll just use the manual lever to park from now on.

Norseland

Ha! thats funny, but I didnt go as far the kinfe, but I played w/ it a bunch!
Ran my fingers all over the damn device and didnt see or feel anything.
I then realized you out screw the metal relief valve and eventualy they work and the button comes back out!
Thanks m16ty, and thank you ida34.
So the skinny is, I can be going down the road and at anytime I can lose'em, so preventive matainence is the key.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your statement couldn't be truer. Check all your steel lines ans rubber hoses real good. Any failure and you're brakeless. Also consider adding a remote reservoir to the system so that it can be visually checked every time you mount the truck.