• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on M796 Bolster Trailer

bbbang

I saw what was described as a M796 Bolster Trailer for sale. It was tandem axle, with pintle and was kind of odd looking. I was wondering what the Army used or uses this trailer for? Thank you.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolster trailers, I believe, are used to haul long items, such as telephone poles, pipes, etc. They should be towed behind the deuce bolster truck (I forget what model), but they are fine behind a standard deuce as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I bought one from Lavinia, Tenn, a while back. It is a cool trailer and I plan to mount my 280 shelter on it and take it to rallys.
When I removed the bed from the deuce parts truck I just hooked up to it and rolled the bed off of the truck onto the trailers.
I'll post some pics tonight.

beaubeau

I have 2 Bolster trls and there is no end of the immagination to what U can do with it. I use one for Logs, the other I may turn into a Low Bed trl. They have the same axels as an M105 11/2 ton trl, But they have I beleive 12.00 16.5, maybe 14.00 16.5 wheels and tires You can put these wheels on a Deuce, if U want a LOW RIDER!!That would be Different . They are also Heavy. Phil

Mike_Pop

The bolster trailers are very similar to the M1061 5ton trailer. Same wheels and tires. However, because of the telescoping tongue, I would imagine that you would have less "fish tailing" when towing a load. I had my M1061 loaded with a Unimog and over 60mph, it swerved all over the place. Very scary. The tongue is way too short for such a heavy trailer. Empty, they came in at 5,000 lbs.

CGarbee

Tire size on the M796A1 bolster trailers at Bragg is 12x16.5 on a six lug rim that looks to have a 9" bolt center (assuming that I remembered correctly how to measure a six lug pattern... ).

As Mike Pop says, they are the same as on the M1061 trailer, and I am in the market for one wheel/tire combination. I still need a spare for my tag trailer...

Mike_Pop

Cabell,

The guy that I sold my other M1061 was able to locate a spare for his. I'll try to get the info and pass it along to you.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love my bolster trailer it hauls logs like get out and never even was worked hard with a big load of oak. I got mine for less than $400 and it looks good with the super singles. The Army used them in Engineer units and they were used to haul pipe and sometimes wooden telephone poles. It tows very nicely behind a deuce although it would amost surely love being behind a five ton.

Mike_Pop

Cabell,

Info for a spare from Mark Mitchell in San Diego:
Yes, I bought a wheel. Had it made by Marsh Racing Wheels: 1-800-643-3625 or check on-line. My trailer has Rockwell hubs, "R4" with 6.5" back set. 9.75x16.5. Sears advertises the same Goodyear tires that are on it, for about $400 each.

Hope this helps.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here's my M969

This is the one I bought.

The plywood was a last minute effort to pass inspection in Maryland. It was at the inspectors and he was going to fail it but I asked him if I could make on the spot corrections if it would pass he said OK so I took out a sheet of plywood and my cordless saw and drill and mounted those to get the nod. Really going to weld up some real ones when the Army is done with me.

Attachments

gmayor

RE: Here

Being an old Combat Engineer, each squad had a bolster trailer that they towed behind their 5ton Dump Truck, the M51, then when the 800 series came out we switched to them. We used them to haul BOM (Bill of Materials). If we were building a timber bridge, logs to build road blocks, concertina wire, or whatever the project, we used the M796. In Korea in 78-79 we built big buildings on them and used heaters and while in the field each squad lived out of theirs.One problem I remember was the pindle hitch, it is suppose to tilt back and forth, for making turns, if not lubed they rust up and cause problems when towing. I have been watching to get one, but then would want a dump truck to pull it. You guys know how it goes.

gmayor

RE: Here

Being an old Combat Engineer, each squad had a bolster trailer that they towed behind their 5ton Dump Truck, the M51, then when the 800 series came out we switched to them. We used them to haul BOM (Bill of Materials). If we were building a timber bridge, logs to build road blocks, concertina wire, or whatever the project, we used the M796. In Korea in 78-79 we built big buildings on them and used heaters and while in the field each squad lived out of theirs.One problem I remember was the pindle hitch, it is suppose to tilt back and forth, for making turns, if not lubed they rust up and cause problems when towing. I have been watching to get one, but then would want a dump truck to pull it. You guys know how it goes.

jeli

Re: RE: Here

gmayor said:
What he said. My squad had an 8' wide, 8' tall, and 12' long hooch built on ours. We had brackets on the front for concertina and J hooks all down one side to hang an extra tarp off. Our whole squad could sleep inside and under the tarp. If you have a truck with singles on it you could always put 9x20 or 11x20's on to raise the trailer.

Aggie_90

M796 "Lunette" set up

I have just recieved my Bolster trailer and it is awesome. It was refurbished, new paint and new tires. It also has all the hardware with it. I extended the tongue but could not make heads or tails of the bracing system or "lunette". Anyone know where an instruction manual or drawing of this is???

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have one and I love it...hauled some long metal on it the other day and it did very well.

This fall I plan to try it out with a few loads of popular logs I will be cutting down.

You need to locate a Technical Manual (TM) for it.

That will give you all the info you need and help put you to sleep if you read it at night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks