• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on M796 Bolster Trailer

randall4483

M796 Brake conversion

Anyone convert the AIR-OVER-HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM on the M796 to electric? I need brakes to pull behind a pickup truck. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Randall

Verkstad

Anyone convert the AIR-OVER-HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM on the M796 to electric? I need brakes to pull behind a pickup truck. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Randall
The easiest albeit expensive is to install an electric over hydraulic brakes actuator in place of the air unit. They seem to start around 500 $USD
These things are already 12v. What I assume your pickup truck is 12v ??

Good luck,
Jakob

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the pics here of the bolster trailer are different then the ones that are shown in the 260-10 tm, this one shows 1100 duels, NO second bolster (bolster Centered on the duels), a round reach. this trailer shown in the tm is designed to ride on the rear of the 815 with the axles straddling the trucks bolster and the reach on the cab protector. i see a problem with the ones shown with the second extended bolster and some other things doing this

the m796 bolster trailer in the 260-10 uses tm 9-2330-287-14

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I've always kinda wondered is that as "common" as M796s are, why don't we see more M815s? I think an M815 with a fifth wheel added would make for an awesome tractor.

Boreal21

I've been looking for a trailer to toss my Jeep on and tow behind my M1031. There's a bolster trailer for auction local on GL, but I'm not convinced that'd be the best solution. A decent tandem axle retail trailer around here is gonna be $1,500 - $2,000. Getting this bolster on the cheap sounds tempting, but not sure if a Jeep riding on top of it would be ideal.

Thoughts?

**Edit** I was initially worried about it being long enough, but figured the short-wheelbased Jeep would fit ok length-wise. After looking at the pictures again now I'm thinking it might not be wide enough for the Jeep to drive up on there. Hmmm...

Last edited:
I think it is far from the best solution. The jeep would probably fit OK, but these trailers are meant to be pulled with a larger truck. A Deuce or 5 ton. The Bolster trailer has air/hyd brakes and has a pintle height of about 35in.
The M1031 does not have many military trailers for it to pull, and I don't know of any that would be good for your jeep. Civy may be best.

Boreal21

Thanks for the reply.... kinda what I was thinking. Would've been nice to get something surplus to match the truck, plus that bolster just looks beefy!

Nonotagain

I've got a M796 going to the scrap yard in the next two weeks.

Trailer is complete minus the tires and wheels.

Asking going scrap rate for steel, which is $165 a ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks