• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on M816 Summer project

madsam

My 816 got about 5mpg from Baton Rouge to Cripple Creek when I drove it home.

The thing that activates the air cylinder is air from the transfer case if I remember. When you pull the handle behind the seat. (correct me if I am wrong guys..) Mine is missing the cylinder so I just capped it off. I run my crane at idle.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my wrecker right now has the wrong ip in it came off a cargo. so i too run my crane at idle. i recently located another pump the correct pump. so later this year ill cnange it out. so i hope that will make mine run better. i avager between 4.5 and 5 mpg on mine, madsam did it make any difference in speed vs milage? that was with me running 1600s

Gamagoat1

Joe ,
Here is a pic of the valve in question.
It's attached to the front of the power divider and is actuated when you engage the crane drive, the lever on the rear deck, in front of the rear winch. When the crane drive is engaged the valve supplies air to the air cylinder which, then, actuates the governor limiter on the ip.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Ok, I found the switch and unhooked it from the linkage and it works fine. It holds the engine at 1K RPM when engaged. I thought the crane was supposed to run at 1250 +/- 50 though.

Next question... the large bellcrank that the linkages from the rear controls run to under the truck just behind that picture seems to be frozen solid. Is there any way to work that free without taking it down, or is that going to be a remove/clean/reinstall job?

Thanks,
Joe

madsam

I have used lots of WD40 on mine for everything. Some stuff I was able to get loose with out removing. Other stuff, I had to remove. Spray it - tap it with a hammer - spray it again - let it sit - tap it - move it. Some times I used brake fluid. I had to readjust my boom rollers and that was a pain in the @#$%!!! They were rusted solid. I used an air chisel and a cold chisel and a BFH to get it to move.

timntrucks - that 5mpg was with the 11-20s at rev limiter most of the time on the highway. I have not noticed my new 11-20s make any difference, although I do get less mileage here in the mountains. Down to 3 coming up the mountain.

Gamagoat1

If the air cylinder is extending and the VS portion of the ip gov. is in place and working the engine should steady at 1200 1250 rpm.
Madsam's right, unless u want to disassemble the cranks just take your time and soak, wiggle, tap,and soak somemore.
I use KROIL, it works a lot better than PB Blaster and others but you have to let it soak.
I'm taking an old CAT apart that bolt heads have nearly rusted away yet, they still come loose using KROIL.

sdflatfender

My 1st post so I hope this werks...
First let me say thanks to all that started and contributed to this post. It's been very informative and helpful.
Here's a picture of my rebuilt M816 pump. The company that did the rebuild said that they can only allow for one cam/lever to turn but not both? I didn't realize this until I got this IP back in the truck and fully hooked up. They left the upper cam free to move but locked the bottom completely.
At this point I have to take this IP back down to them and have them make both top and bottom cams/levers move freely so I can have all the controls work for throttles, govenor etc...
Has anyone had a rebuilder tell them this and why are they saying it's not possible to run both? Do i just tell them they are not dealing with a cargo type pump but rather an ""mvs"" type pump. This pretty much sucks right now so any help GREATLY appreciated.
ps.... also looking for a crane hook/pulley. My M816 was kinda stripped of all tools, tow bars and that pulley. Thanks!

Attachments

Csm Davis

My 1st post so I hope this werks...
First let me say thanks to all that started and contributed to this post. It's been very informative and helpful.
Here's a picture of my rebuilt M816 pump. The company that did the rebuild said that they can only allow for one cam/lever to turn but not both? I didn't realize this until I got this IP back in the truck and fully hooked up. They left the upper cam free to move but locked the bottom completely.
At this point I have to take this IP back down to them and have them make both top and bottom cams/levers move freely so I can have all the controls work for throttles, govenor etc...
Has anyone had a rebuilder tell them this and why are they saying it's not possible to run both? Do i just tell them they are not dealing with a cargo type pump but rather an ""mvs"" type pump. This pretty much sucks right now so any help GREATLY appreciated.
ps.... also looking for a crane hook/pulley. My M816 was kinda stripped of all tools, tow bars and that pulley. Thanks!
I would take it to them and tell them if it is not fixed properly this time that it will not be brought back and you will be asking for a refund and or doing write ups online about the bad service.

sdflatfender

All over that and thanks. They're not looking forward to my visit on Monday, I can tell you that.
I'll read back through this thread to find the correct TM info that they appparently don't have, and bring it with me when I go back down there.
Also, I'll run an ""M816 Parts Wanted"" add for all the other stuff my rig is missing. Just thought I'd mention this before I get werked by the local police
Thank you, and thanks to Steel Soldiers.... Love this place!!!

sdflatfender

MVS IP / Fuel Pump for an M816

Yes and thanks for asking!!! The IP is back and waiting to install. Mark Olson and the guys at PCE in San Diego fixed the unit and now both top and bottom levers are rotating freely.
Turning to a 45' GPW project for a cpl weeks then back to the M816 to get her running again. I haven't operated any of the winches or crane etc so I'm excited about looking into all that and locating those missing parts :sad:
When I have the IP installed and she's running, I'll post a video link here and do a walk around.
Stay tuned...

M816 TONKA truck

Just picked up a summer project of an M816 to work on and found this old thread that seems to apply to part of what's in front of me ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13054) Going through the fuel system now and replacing the old hoses and rebuilding the selector valve. I suspect may need to send the pump off for a freshen up. Truck is idling like a champ when it warms up, but it goes to the governer limited rpm of 2100 and is very slow to fall back to idle when you take your foot off of the pedal. Other interesting note is that when you are in neutral and pull the throttle lock in the dash back just two detents, the governer takes it all the way to 2100 rpm. Still have lots of rotation left in the throttle lever on the side of the pump. I'm new to a governed Cummins but it just doesn't seem to be what I would suspect.

Cabell, can I ask you who you used in the area to rebuild your pump and what their prices were like ?

Next question is about the temparture gauge in the dash. Is it the same unit as a deuce or is is specific to the 8xx series. I'm chasing the wiring with a meter this weekend.

Ther will be winch questions in the future, looks like someone wond the front one up like a clock spring and bent some of the cable guidance system.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jim McGuffin
Quite interested in your winch problem! The clutch handle on my winch is stuck in the "IN" position and won't move at all. Like yours, looks like it was overwound, actually broke the right side roller off, and bent the bumper inward. Trying to figure what I will have to do. The winch can be operated from inside the cab, but not on the outside. Could use some advice from you or anyone else who may have an answer.
Thanks in advance
Dave Anderson

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks