• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on the turbo

jrlee5

Got a couple of questions that may seem elementary, but theres only one way to learn...firstly, I've read where some folks have used industrial pressure gauges as a boost monitor, and I'd be interested in doing the same, maybe later adding a pyrometer. Can anybody tell me what kind of arrangement needs to be constructed to do so. I know I'll need a pressure gauge and line to come back to the cab, but I need some clarification from there. While on the topic of turbos, I wanted to see if anybody could help me figure on what turbo I have in my truck. I looked this topic up as well, and found that my turbo appears to be a C, with the orange hose and hose clamps rather than the straight bolt on construction associated with the D, but there is no whistle whatsoever, which doesnt bother me, but I'd just like to know what kind of turbo I have, and the pics left me wondering a bit because it would appear that mine is identical to the C. I can try to get some numbers if somebody can tell me what I need to identify the set up. Thanks yall

jrlee5

The tag says the motor is a LDT 465 1D, any ideas on what kind of turbo? again, it doesnt whistle at all. Was this motor standard in the m35a2's?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1D is an engine version, not a turbo designator.

I can't see the pics, your links are temporarily unavailable. Next time, post the pics here(then they will always be here with the thread). Links to pics, suck.

Last edited:

ODdave

thats a D turbo, the exhaust housing is much wider than a C-turbo, the hose color means nothing, i will post some pics of my C in a day or 2 so you can see the difference.

jrlee5

Good deal, I appreciate the knowledge, i dont miss the whistle, just so long as I know what i've got, it sounds like the D turbo is the way to go anyways, a little more boost without all the whine

ODdave

i may be wrong but i figured this would be a good thread to piggyback a question on, i had a D on my truck and switched to a C and belive i felt a noticable difference in low rpm power (an increase) but lost some top end, anyone else have this?

BISME03

i may be wrong but i figured this would be a good thread to piggyback a question on, i had a D on my truck and switched to a C and belive i felt a noticable difference in low rpm power (an increase) but lost some top end, anyone else have this?
With the turbo spooling faster at lower RPM's you will have more power at the lower RPM's. You will also lose some top end power because the turbo can't produce anymore boost or it's being limited. So, yes you will feel more power at lower RPM's because there is more power. [thumbzup]

63sierra10

The whistler is the most desireable. The D turbo is a good turbo for those who have wide open driving. The C turbo is great for those who are off road and using the lower rpm range. I personally have been addicted to the whistler since the first time I ever drove one in the Army. It also makes people look and wonder.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
A industrial gauge will work fine. I'd suggest a 0-15psi gauge. You will find a 1/8"NPT plug in top of manifold adapter. Put a street elbow there and run a hose/tubing thru one of the holes in the firewall...

When I added a D turbo to my smokey LD-465 I found the maifold pressure would exceed 16psi at high rpm w/high egt. I turned the fuel down a couple turns and it is currently set at 12psi at 2500. EGT at this level is ok, about as high as I feel safe to go. EGT will get too high if run hard at the lowest part of the operating range. Takes a really big hill so it's pretty hard to get there. 12psi makes a lot more power than the non-turbo LD did. I'd guess the army/factory had the LDT-465 (turbo) set much lower, perhaps 6-8psi.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks