• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick and easy air chuck off of deuce air sytem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeepster

This is a very simple modification you can do in just a few minutes with a pair of channel locks and a pair of vice grips. The entire install costs less than 10.00 and gives you usable air for airing up tires, running small impact wrenches, pneumatic grinders, air chisels etc. You can also use the glad hand at the back of the truck, but then I have to have a special air hose set aside to attach only to the glad hand. This way I can plug any standared air hose into it and if I need the hose some where else it works on other compressors to.

Attachments

greenjeepster

The first picture shows the drain off valves on the air tank just behind the spare tire. The fitting on the tank is 1/4" so to do this mod you need a 2 inch long 1/4 nipple, a 1/4 tee, a 6" long 1/4 nipple and the airchuck. Dropping the valve down the two inches puts the air chuck just below the frame and behind the spare tire to protect it a little from stumps, rocks etc.

It is a good idea to remove both air valves to make sire they are clear....with them out fire up the truck and allow the air compressor blow the tanks out good.

tm america

most guys just use the gladhand at the right rear of the truck or the air hose hook up on the right side of the dash that all these trucks have and it doesnt cost anything to do they are already there and functional

tm america

also running a hose off the bottom of the air tanks will give you the most water to your air tools. the drains are in that location because that is water is going to settle .at the lowest point . this is why the air hookup is on the dash up high . it works like an air compressor drain on bottom air hook up at the top

robr

also running a hose off the bottom of the air tanks will give you the most water to your air tools. the drains are in that location because that is water is going to settle .at the lowest point . this is why the air hookup is on the dash up high . it works like an air compressor drain on bottom air hook up at the top
very good point

RANDYDIRT

That 1/4" galvanized nipple will break off right where it mounts to the tank leaving the threads of the nipple still in the tank. Don't believe me? Just go out and kick it just one time. This will make a nasty piece of fod for your tires or for the folks behind you, and will drain your tanks leaving you with no brakes. I wouldn't even do this with schedule 80 black pipe, much less galvy.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He has it tucked up out of the way.
Good ponit about the moisture. Although closer to the tank for the air tools is better.
I have 4 deuces and none of them have a quick disconnect under the dash.
It is easy to install though.

tm america

the hook up on the dash doesnt have a quick connect on it . it has a shut off valve and a plug in the hole you need to buy a 99cent quick connect and screw it on there . . the bottom of the air tank will give you enough water to ruin your tools .protected or not that is the worst place you could put the hook up other than putting it on the bottom of the other tank which is the wet tank but either way the amount of water will be unacceptible.the hook up under the dash is in the tms.

tm america

if he had it coming out of the top of the tank instead of the bottom it would be ok . but wtaer is haevier than air an settles to the bottom of the tank . putting a hose hook up onn the bottom of the tank is using your tools as a water catch can for the air system

Last edited:

greenjeepster

TM: You know you can fit a lot more in a single post rather than filling a thread with post?

Good point on the moisture.... I don't like the other two locations you mentioned because of the distance from the tanks and the small diameter of the lines that supply those two locations. I could re-run them with a larger diameter line, but then my goal of quick and easy in not met

This is not a shop compressor and will not be used to power pneumatic tools for major projects.... But if I need air in a tire or need to quickly swap out a wiper, or fan belt it is quick and easy access to air to power the tools.

Randy:
I will keep in mind that if the nipple gets snapped off I will loose air pressure and be driving a 14000 lb truck with hydraulic brakes:wink:

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GJ. they are right, vibration alone WILL break that nipple, with the quick disconnect way out there on its own long nipple will put side load on the tank nipple, so between this and vibration it WILL break not IF but WHEN. its the WHEN id be worried about, like going down hill, coming to a light with a lot of traffic. the point I'm making , you wont know when its going to give out but please believe me it WILLL. also one hard pull on the air hose will CRACK the tank nipple
My above comments are just trying to help avoid a accident and somebody getting HURT or KILLED

Last edited:

RANDYDIRT

Randy:
I will keep in mind that if the nipple gets snapped off I will loose air pressure and be driving a 14000 lb truck with hydraulic brakes:wink:[/quote]

You may need to not be such a smart arse. Didn't anyone tell you not to mess with us old dudes?

Westech

CPL
You know this really really pisses me off. Green Jeep made a mod.. I sure it works fine, Im betting he is smart enough to drain the tank or at least give the drain a good blast to get the water out before using. I would do that mod to mine and I have done that type of mod to my 6x6's and I also have the glad hand adapter. Sometimes you don't want to use that or have something else needed.. just whatever! I ALWAYS see you guys going.. well you should have done this or that...or this is better then that, you know then YOU DO IT! He made a workable cheap ez to use mod. END OF STORY!

jatonka

This site is heading the way of the old MV list. If some people don't like other people's ideas, why not just ignore them or hit the delete button? I feel bad for the guys who think they have come up with a good ides, share it with the forum and then get flamed, not once but multiple times. But I feel worse for the people who don't have more productive thoughts than how to shoot someone else down. If we use some pleasantness in our posts, I bet the point would still come across that the first poster might have not come up with the perfect answer, BUT , we might not make the first poster get a real bad taste of some of us. Hey, I know I don't always say it right, but I really try not to make enemies of all the new guys. They will be regulars in a while, just like us. JT out

RANDYDIRT

I ALWAYS see you guys going.. well you should have done this or that...or this is better then that, you know then YOU DO IT! He made a workable cheap ez to use mod. END OF STORY![QUOTE}

Westech, is this directed at me?

Status
Not open for further replies.