• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick and legal way to connect generator to home

Chainbreaker

Before purchasing my generators I considered installing one of those down at my shop/barn. My house already had a generator inlet box & interlock. The GenerLink looked like an clean & easy solution for my shop/barn service entrance with meter coming off nearby pole. However, the one thing that concerned me was their limits on current capacity. If I purchased any additional equipment and needed to upgrade to a 10kw generator I was concerned that I might bump up against their limit:

"WARNING

GenerLink™ allows for the interconnection of a 120/240 volt generator with a continuous output of 30 Amperes or less. Any source connected to GenerLink™ that does not meet this criteria or exceeds this rating could cause serious operator injury or damage GenerLink™."

"CAUTION
Do not turn on your home’s heat pump or central air conditioning while using GenerLink. The starting wattage for these devices exceeds GenerLink’s 30-amp or 40 amp capacity."

Edit: So, in order to have more flexibility to future proof myself a bit, I chose to install an interlock kit rather than go with the GenerLink. I purchased interlock kit from this outfit since they had one to fit my panel and it was relatively inexpensive and straight forward to install in my particular breaker box:

http://natramelec.com/

Below is shot of my install of their kit. It was fairly easy and the kit even provided the right size drill bit, allen wrench and operation decals, etc. for sliding interlock installation. All I had to purchase in addition to the kit was the additional wire, breaker, flex conduit and inlet box to mount on service entrance pole.

WP_20131015_009.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pull your meter and your power utility finds out about it you are in for a long azz chewing. If you have a "smart meter" they will know immediately.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pull your meter and your power utility finds out about it you are in for a long azz chewing. If you have a "smart meter" they will know immediately.
Their info states to have your local utility do the install.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also check your local building codes to see if legal in your area before purchessing. Much like insurance laws building and electrical codes vary from state to and can even vary by local regulations.

csheath

Square D makes breaker interlock kits to fit their panels. These allow you to back feed higher amp loads and protect from doing so unless the main is turned off.

Breaker-Load-Centers-QOCGK2C/203046553

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Square D makes breaker interlock kits to fit their panels. These allow you to back feed higher amp loads and protect from doing so unless the main is turned off.

Breaker-Load-Centers-QOCGK2C/203046553
I have one of these on the house and it works great and is simple. Located just below the meter in breaker box.Turn the main breaker off, slide the interlock up, and then you can turn the 100 amp breaker on that the generator wires to.
My power company installs these on new hookups for an extra charge, so they APPROVE them too.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The Generlink hookup is nice. It depends if your local utility approves it. Mine does here. If you have a totally finished panel area and wall, this makes your connection without opening the wall. You can use your whole panel for what you want powered.

Note: favors generator power. While the generator is connected, it will run on the generator. If utility power comes back on, you will not switch back until you shut down and disconnect your generator.

There are 2 sizes and Generlink units.

generlink.jpggenerlink cord.jpg

My local utility installed it in 5 minutes.

86m1028

I have done this a couple times now, your right it does piss off the electric company.
I refuse to pay for a permit for a disconnect that should have been there in the first place.
In our neighborhood the houses MAIN breaker does NOT kill power to the house.

Haoleb

I have done this a couple times now, your right it does piss off the electric company.
I refuse to pay for a permit for a disconnect that should have been there in the first place.
Not trying to be the electrical safety nanny here but anyone reading this should realize that it can be very dangerous to do this. The amount of electrical energy available at the meter socket is immense any if there is any fault protection for your meter feed it is not going to save your life in an accident. Just google search for arc flash.. and burned meter sockets... etc.

If you need to pull the meter for anything is it really worth the risk instead of just having an electrician come out and install a meter socket with a disconnecting means?

86m1028

Not trying to be the electrical safety nanny here but anyone reading this should realize that it can be very dangerous to do this. The amount of electrical energy available at the meter socket is immense any if there is any fault protection for your meter feed it is not going to save your life in an accident. Just google search for arc flash.. and burned meter sockets... etc.

If you need to pull the meter for anything is it really worth the risk instead of just having an electrician come out and install a meter socket with a disconnecting means?
I do completely understand what your saying & agree with you for the most part.
The amount of electrical energy at the meter base is the same at an open panel where the main does not work & is hot.
I routinely work on 3 phase 480v stuff, have electrician gloves & use them.

To stay on subject, I personally like the square D setup better.
Town we are in doesn't allow this type of setup.

Last edited:

csheath

What you have is a bad main breaker if it doesn't open when turned off. I just heard of this happening at someone's house the other day. It's best if you use an interlock to test your main while the house HAS power and make sure it is working correctly.

joel

I am confused, when you turn off the main breaker, it kills the power to breaker box, so the circuits the box feeds is not energized.but the top of the box is still hot from the meter socket, which gets it power from the triplex wire from the transformer/powerlines.Maybe I am repeating what is already said.? But as already said a bad breaker can still transmit power to box that feeds the house when in the off position.If I am repeating the same thing, then I hope someone deletes my reply