• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick bearing quest.

BEASTMASTER

M-51 rear axel had my bearings ready to grease up and my nephew decided he wouuld help. i had them in an order inner on left and outer on right but i don't know which he started with ??? qeustion is are they the same ?? they sure look and fit in each cone nice and snug. i''m thinking yes they are the same. i can't read any of the nuumbers.

INFChief

M-51 rear axel had my bearings ready to grease up and my nephew decided he wouuld help. i had them in an order inner on left and outer on right but i don't know which he started with ??? qeustion is are they the same ?? they sure look and fit in each cone nice and snug. i''m thinking yes they are the same. i can't read any of the nuumbers.

INFChief

The stock # for the front & rear inner bearing is 3110-198-1468. Stock # for the rear outer is 3110-100-0649.

the different stock # hints that they are different bearings. My guess is that the inside diameter of each bearing is likely different. Measure up the ID and compare to the OD of the axle housing bearing surfaces.

Ajax MD

Wow, I'll be dipped. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut, I thought for sure that inner and outer were the same.

And: This thread caused me to check the -20 for the M809 series trucks and I discovered the same thing. I will make darned sure to keep track of which is the inner/outer bearing when I start servicing the rear and intermediate axles this fall.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

@INFChief Parttarget shows that you are correct- the only difference is the inside diameter. Wouldn't this be obvious when you attempt to put the wrong bearing as the "inner" bearing? It wouldn't go on all the way, correct?

Ajax MD

Yes because all spindles are tapered.
Whew, good to know. I did my front axle last year and I was hyperventilating that maybe I assembled it incorrectly and I've been driving on it.

Thinking back, I believe that I removed, re-packed and replaced each bearing individually rather than pull them all apart in a bunch so this happy accident prevented me from trying to put the wrong bearing in the wrong place.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I'll be dipped. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut, I thought for sure that inner and outer were the same.

And: This thread caused me to check the -20 for the M809 series trucks and I discovered the same thing. I will make darned sure to keep track of which is the inner/outer bearing when I start servicing the rear and intermediate axles this fall.
I do not know about the M51 but if I remember the Deuce ran the same race's just the outer bearing had a bigger face on inner ring where the inner nut tightens up on.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Whew, good to know. I did my front axle last year and I was hyperventilating that maybe I assembled it incorrectly and I've been driving on it.

Thinking back, I believe that I removed, re-packed and replaced each bearing individually rather than pull them all apart in a bunch so this happy accident prevented me from trying to put the wrong bearing in the wrong place.
Don't think it will only hurt the ball club

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks