• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick free fix for flopping mirrors

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just thought I'd share a quick free fix for flopping mirrors on the CUCV. Simply remove the screw at the base of the cover for the mirror mount. Then loosen the two clamp bolts that hold the mirror arm in place. I took a section of tie wrap that I had cut off from a wiring job and shoved it in around the mirror arm and clamp. Then tighten everything back up and replace the cover. Done!

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't see it posted when I searched, since I was goofing off on the truck I decided to snag a quick pic.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MORE great ideas

THANK YOU FOLKS

and I hope OTHERS have a different way to fix it...

thanks - my mirrors are tight, but it never hurts to have this little trick in your bag

Anubis8472

That pic is worth a thousand words.

Never dealt with these mirrors before as I've always had 70's chevies (always thought the 80's style looked terrible) so I've always had the tri-pod style mirrors. I was actually considering swapping some 70's mirrors on mine.
I didn't know there was an actual clamp under that cover, I figured it was a plastic fitting/tapered insert sort of thing.
Simple fix then, may even just be a matter of tightening it up.

Still think a 1009 would look amazing with 70's body panels and round headlights.

unaffiliated

I'm thinking a slice out of an old anti-freeze jug might work too. We used to use anti-freeze jug "shims" on Mercedes rear trailing arm pivots to keep them from making noise. Even with new bushings they were still sloppy. The "shim" was just the ticket. I may have to fix my mirrors soon. They move with the slightest bump. I finally marked the stalk so I could adjust the right side without having to walk around the truck half a dozen times to check it.

cucv1833

Good info.
I have not tried to fix mine yet but everytime I close the doors the mirrors swing in a little at a time. I will now try to adjust them.
Thanks

Disciple

Thanks! What a pain in the rear end (not the 14ff, either) this has been! Next project for sure. I think I looked at it quickly once and didn't do anything about it. I need to look at it again, but I think I have a stripped screw holding the cover on, or something stupid like that.