• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick head light question

Hey everybody thanks for reading
I have what you might call "horror movie headlights" the type where you can't see the dude with a machete 50 yards ahead... or a deer for the curmudgeons among us.
Now that I'm finally getting around to the smaller stuff I've been looking for some better ideally led headlights eventually I found these-

https://www.amazon.com/SPL-Brightes...=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1#customerReviews

if you prefer not to click links search"ppl 105w brightest 5x7 7x6 projector led headlights"

These fit my budget nicely and the reviews like them but I'm not sure if they will fit. The description claims they will fit a K30 but makes no mention of year. Also how can they be both 5x7 and 7x6? If these won't work does anyone have any suggestions for other options? I've seen mention of the "LMC Truck 36-0282 lights" And the "Hella E code rectangular lights" on this site but was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these options

Sorry for my ignorance I have very little experience with headlights

Truck is a m1008 with nearly stock electric systems expect for a plow mount

Thanks very much for any responses

Nick

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a 1984 K-5 Blazer search within Rock Auto to help with part numbers.

I used halogen Silvania Silverstar headlights on mine - obviously not as bright as projector headlights, but made a big difference from what my M1009 came with...

Also, consider headlight adjustment - maybe your lights are shining too low/too high/too much left/right?

Use a 1984 K-5 Blazer search within Rock Auto to help with part numbers.

I used halogen Silvania Silverstar headlights on mine - obviously not as bright as projector headlights, but made a big difference from what my M1009 came with...

Also, consider headlight adjustment - maybe your lights are shining too low/too high/too much left/right?
I'll look at those light and thanks for the tip on using the k-5 to search

Thanks
Nick

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
His truck is a M1008 not a M1009.

Search for 1984 K30 pickup, not a K5 Blazer.
Same headlight for both.

I have had the Truck-lite LED headlights installed for over 5 years now.
Zero issues and plenty of light.
Made in USA.
Low power draw.

The regular halogens can cause heat issues with the old wiring due to a higher amp draw.
Several threads have discussed the issue.

If your budget allows, recommend a set of them.
They also have a heated version.

IMG_1864.jpeg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you're at it, get the headlight relay setup from LMC.
This runs the headlights directly off the battery instead of through the headlight switch, the switch wiring then just activates the lights. Quick simple install, and is $24 well spent.
I put the relays and the Sylvanias mentioned above on all my CUCVs (I want to maintain the stock military period-correct look), and it's like having modern headlights. You can see just fine to avoid the deer, or draw a bead on the machete-wielder so he can sample the grill guard.

As mentioned above, headlight adjustment is also essential, the adjusters on these CUCVs are notoriously weak. But a set of new adjusters is around $7 at the local auto parts store, and again a quick easy install.

Cheers

Barrman

I have the Truck lites in my Cowdog truck as well. 4 years of trouble free super bright lights. If you can swing the price, they are worth it. I had the Sylvania Silver Star H4 lights in 4 trucks at the same time for a few years. O’Reilly’s had a 1 year free replacement on them. Between the 8 lights, it seemed I was swapping one out every other month or so. I just kept the most recent receipt in my wallet because they were going to fail. Haven’t thought about it for years now until this thread came up.

ehuppert

I've used the Hella conversion headlights with H4's on numerous vehicles. they provide a substantial improvement and are right around $100 for the set. I did install them on my 1008 along with headlight relays and improved wiring (to include ceramic headlight plugs). Much better than the sealed beams and the H4's last fairly well.

My 1008 is a work vehicle, not a daily driver..... I'm sure there's better lights, but these worked well for me!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Truck lites in my Cowdog truck as well. 4 years of trouble free super bright lights. If you can swing the price, they are worth it. I had the Sylvania Silver Star H4 lights in 4 trucks at the same time for a few years. O’Reilly’s had a 1 year free replacement on them. Between the 8 lights, it seemed I was swapping one out every other month or so. I just kept the most recent receipt in my wallet because they were going to fail. Haven’t thought about it for years now until this thread came up.
Interestingly, I have had about 3 years of trouble free not-needing-replacing service from my bulbs on the 1009 and 1028 I use routinely. I'd say 'daily driver', but I only leave my property once or twice a week. :)

Cheers

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
His truck is a M1008 not a M1009.

Search for 1984 K30 pickup, not a K5 Blazer.
Same headlight for both.

I have had the Truck-lite LED headlights installed for over 5 years now.
Zero issues and plenty of light.
Made in USA.
Low power draw.

The regular halogens can cause heat issues with the old wiring due to a higher amp draw.
Several threads have discussed the issue.

If your budget allows, recommend a set of them.
They also have a heated version.

View attachment 915245
My bad on vehicle, good catch Tinstar!

No issues with my Silverstars, but yes - depending on the headlight wiring condition, H4s may be too much of a load on stock wiring...

cucvrus

I would definitely be checking the grounds. I drove these trucks for years on stock halogen headlamps and never had an issue with brightness. I have used the Truck lite H4 housings Good. I used the Truck lite H4 housings with HID conversions Better and then finally the Truck lite LED headlamps Best. If you go all LED you are doing the whole electrician system a solid,. Good Luck.

87cr250r

Phillips has LED H6054 framed lights that are DOT approved.

Truck-Lite uses some weasel words in their description.

When properly mounted, the lamp is designed to conform to the requirements listed in the Department of Transportation (DOT), FMVSS-108 and Transport Canada (TC), CMVSS-108|Headlights marked with the DOT symbol signifies the lamps are street legal|
"Designed to conform to" ≠ approved.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my newly acquired USAF Mobile Command vehicle (1979 GMC Vandura) the H6054 headlights are sylvania brand and supposed to be sealed but water condensation is inside both lights and no cracks are visible. Both still work.

Ordered a new set of Wagner lights,……….Made in China.
I thought Wagners were still made in the USA.
Back to Amazon they go.

New set of heated Truck-lites ordered.
Made in USA

This vehicle won’t be driven much and originally wasn’t going to install LED headlights, but the
China thing I can’t do if I have USA options.
Expensive yes, but I will never have to worry about headlights again.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On my newly acquired USAF Mobile Command vehicle (1979 GMC Vandura) the H6054 headlights are sylvania brand and supposed to be sealed but water condensation is inside both lights and no cracks are visible. Both still work.

Ordered a new set of Wagner lights,……….Made in China.
I thought Wagners were still made in the USA.
Back to Amazon they go.

New set of heated Truck-lites ordered.
Made in USA

This vehicle won’t be driven much and originally wasn’t going to install LED headlights, but the
China thing I can’t do if I have USA options.
Expensive yes, but I will never have to worry about headlights again.
Dang Right!
Made in the USA... It ain't that hard to do it right!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks