• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick question about driving M939 truck without rear prop shaft

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gambled and purchased a non-working M929 and had it towed to the house. The tow company removed both the middle prop shaft (between transfer case and middle axle) and rear prop shaft (between the middle and rear axle) , hoisted the front end off the ground, and used tow truck air to release and operate the brakes for the tow. I reinstalled the middle prop shaft but haven't installed the rear shaft since I need Soldier B and don't have one at the moment. I got the truck running by replacing the rubber fuel lines but need to park it out back for a bit until I have more time for other things like upgrading alternator, rebuilding PCB, etc.

So here's the two part question:
-Can I drive the truck without the rear prop shaft? Mainly for short distances on the road to verify all is working. I think the answer is yes but wanted to verify as it may be a while before I can get a capable Soldier B to help reinstall the rear shaft.

-Can I engage the front axles to make it a 6x4 in high only (not low) so I don't get stuck (or at least get unstuck from where I'm sitting. LOL!) Again, I think the answer is yes but wanted to verify with the expert since I understand there are limitations with being in low gear and backing up. Not sure if there is anything else to be concerned about.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gambled and purchased a non-working M929 and had it towed to the house. The tow company removed both the middle prop shaft (between transfer case and middle axle) and rear prop shaft (between the middle and rear axle) , hoisted the front end off the ground, and used tow truck air to release and operate the brakes for the tow. I reinstalled the middle prop shaft but haven't installed the rear shaft since I need Soldier B and don't have one at the moment. I got the truck running by replacing the rubber fuel lines but need to park it out back for a bit until I have more time for other things like upgrading alternator, rebuilding PCB, etc.

So here's the two part question:
-Can I drive the truck without the rear prop shaft? Mainly for short distances on the road to verify all is working. I think the answer is yes but wanted to verify as it may be a while before I can get a capable Soldier B to help reinstall the rear shaft.

-Can I engage the front axles to make it a 6x4 in high only (not low) so I don't get stuck (or at least get unstuck from where I'm sitting. LOL!) Again, I think the answer is yes but wanted to verify with the expert since I understand there are limitations with being in low gear and backing up. Not sure if there is anything else to be concerned about.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't, assuming the brake lines are all still hooked up like normal so the spring brakes release. You're basically making a bobber without actually removing the back axle. Just be aware that since the two rear axles share load, it's going to be more prone to getting stuck like that. You might need the front axle engaged more than you think.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
although I don't own any M939-series trucks, you shouldn't have any issue doing what you want on-road other than the obvious "tractive" issues which others have mentioned..

I have for several years operated a couple of my M809-series trucks without the rear/rear driveshaft as well as without front driveshaft on extended (250-mile) road trips ..

One of my M818's had been run a couple months without the rear/rear driveshaft as "a 4x4 with tag axle", for lack of better way to describe.. ... It did just fine as long as operator stayed away from bad ground.. The front axle kicked in occasionally to assist the one "slippery" rear axle... But on the blacktop, the transfer case sprag sure made it known that it did not like running without a rear/rear shaft, only because of how the M39/M809-series sprag works on slippery ground or by wheel hop generated on rough surfaces.. The sprag situation was worse while bobtailing. I thusly removed its front driveshaft to experiment with one-axle drive OTR (6x2) .. Let's just say it was very slippery when wet and not inducive to any noticeable fuel economy, not in my kind of operation anyway.. But I had to try the experiment to verify my pre-assumption it wasn't going to work well for any of my operational situations. Curious cat here.

If you're running radials you might notice some wheel slippage at bridge joints, lateral road cracks, and on rough road whenever your tandem set starts to bounce.. In my case I still run OEM bias tires and they hop pretty good on rough road no matter what.. I don't believe you will have any serious problem with your M939-series, but you will probably notice how slippery your truck can be if it's propelled by one rear axle.

Unrelated to your situation but included here for the curious, my other M818 has been without its front driveshaft for almost 16 years.. Up until a couple years ago when I obtained a FLD120, the "de-fronted" M818 had been performing a few 250-mile road trips flawlessly every year in that configuration as long as an operator treats it as a commercial rig with two live rear axles, in relation to the ground its operating on

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks