• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick question m1008 rims.. 16 or 16.5?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't factory with the 16.5s, came with 16s. The M880 did have 16.5 rims. Don't ever try to mount one size tire on the other rim, certain death will occur.

Dabba

aww crap what should i do here? The rear tires say 16 and the front tires say 16.5. So can you mount 16.5s on 16s or vice versa or do i have 2 differnt size rims?

papercu

I don't think any tire shop would put 16.5 on 16 rims and I don't think they would air up if they did. My vote is for two different sets of rims. Did the truck come from a private sale? Wayne

jimm1009

Check your rims (wheels). You may have to clean them real good around the stem area but they are stamped with the size and some other data as well which does not mean too much.
You should see something like 16 x 7.5 JJ or similiar.

If you have 16.5 stamped into the wheel then they are not military issue wheels.

You don't want them if you have 16 on one axle and 16.5 on the other.

If this is the case, don't drive it in 4-wheel drive until you replace the wheels or you will have drive line bind due to different ratios due to different tire outside diameters.
All tires should be the same size if you use 4-wheel drive.
If you have 16.5 tires on 16 wheels, I would not drive it at all except in the driveway or yard.
It is an accident waiting to happen if some dummy put 16.5 tires on 16 wheels.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jim

jimm1009

your 16 inch wheels

I found a place here in Louisiana that sells steel wheels with a tire for $13.00 each. You just walk around and pull offf the wheels or other parts that you need and take them home.
This is a very common 16 inch wheel and should not be too hard to find.
This yard is called "You pull It" and their numbers are growing.

They are in several states now.

Dabba

yeah, def different rims in the front. I already used 4x4 a bit and didnt feel any binding, but my front seal on my tcase is leaking now. Guess im in the market for rims now. Anyone got a source

2mtrucks

The bolt pattern is 8x6.5. It is a common bolt pattern that was used for 30+ years. A civilian wheel is identical. Any GM 16" 8x6.5 will work as will any Ford or Dodge 16" steel wheel, although Ford/Dodge may have a slightly larger pilot or center hole to accomodate the larger flanges on Dana or Ford corporate axles. It wont make a difference because they are not hub centric wheels, and were probably all made at the same factory anyway.

2mtrucks

One other thing...Ford used this wheel until 1997, Dodge until 1993 but Gm only to 1987. Starting 1988 the bolt patern is the same but the offset entirely different and doesnt bear much resemblance to the wheel on your truck. These should be very easy to find and very inexpensive...less than shipping alone on a non local wheel.

MilitaryRestoration

haha sounds so familiar... i just ran into this problem the other day. I was breaking down tires off the old cucv and one of the tires just came off so easy... :) i was a 16.5 tire on a 16 rim, dont know how they ever got it to stay on there and so glad I never drove the truck with it like that... defin dont do it, way too dangerous

allrevup

On this subject. The gent that sells tires in N.C. said to me that the CUCV truck wheels are different from the civilians, as they were riveted and welded, mine are off the truck and in storage 50 miles away? Any one knows if that is accurate. Also, at a Pro Mod Bog a spectador told me "that they some times run in addition to different tires (F. to R.) different ratios!! would any one here Know, why they would run different ratios?

Last edited:

BobM

Sorry, I sold my original wheels with tires when I put the Outlaw 11s and new tires on. I had some old rims, but sold them to a junker when scrap was high. Surely someone has original tires and wheels for sale?:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks