• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick solargizer question..?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a solargizer this week on a 109. When in the full sunlight the small red led light on the charge controller is not on. Is this normal, whats the purpose of the red led anyway..?

Jones

I would think it should be on if it's working. I've got them, new in the box, but never used one.
Everyone says they're "battery maintainers", not battery chargers. The Solargizer site says they help batteries charge faster and hold that charge by keeping the cells de-sulfated.
I don't get the impression they put out any kind of a charging voltage themselves.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Their newer models also charge (now sold as solar conditoiner/chargers) , it seems they have dropped the solargizer name from these now, but for a while these same models (look the same, and same part numbers) were being sold with the Solargizer name. The older models did "minimal" charging, meaning less than the self discharge rate of most batteries, instead they sent a low current rapid pulse through the battery which help prevent sulfication caused by crystal development on the plates.

3dAngus

Don,

What type or model number is it? There's a few different types. Not sure if you have the standard blue one used by the miltary a while back or a different COTS model. Is there any other LED, like a green one not lit when the red is on?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one with the little red light. I need to be in a dark room with it in order to see the light. Outside in ambient light it is very difficult to see, even when it's in shadows. Easier just to check with the VOM set on A/C in the 25-100 volt range. If you are getting over 45 volts, it's working! That's how the solargizer works - it sends very short bursts of voltage that are about twice (or a little more) the voltage of the batteries hooked to it. Because of the short duration, all it does is to desulfate the cell.

I have, however, used one to charge up a one AH Clansman radio battery. Took over two months the first time, now it's only a week (with lots of sunshine). YMMV.

Isaac-1

Mike KK4AIF that is the way the traditional units work, the newer ones add that on top of a DC charging circuit, then revert to the mode you describe when the battery if fully charged.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You Gentelmen. I was getting 57 volts so I guess as I age my eyesight is getting worse.

Here is a PDF to save a copy if yall don't have one.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be able to guesstimate the charging ability by looking at the solar cell capacity. To restore charge in a reasonable time may require 20 to 50 Watts.
I'd say a minimum panel size for charging would be about one foot square...

Isaac-1

The current pulsetech 24V solar products (which are used by the military, have an NSN number, etc) are rated at 6 watts, their 12V units range from 3-25 watts, as a rule of thumb a well placed fixed solar panel will generator 5-6 times its peak output rating in watts per day from a typical mid US location, a poorly angled or placed one will generate considerably less. While looking for information after buying one of these current generation 6 watt charger models on ebay a while back I found a military PDF reference that says this model is not always capable of keeping up with the self discharge rate on some of the larger truck batteries in some conditions, but did exceed the self discharge rate of batteries in all current MEP series generators. This test included a chart where they tested 4 of these solar chargers in various conditions somewhere in the souther U.S. (I think AL or GA). What this means is one of these solar chargers if well placed will keep all but the largest batteries fully charged in most conditions, but will do little to charge a drained battery.

Ike

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ios-24-l

Don,

What type or model number is it? There's a few different types. Not sure if you have the standard blue one used by the miltary a while back or a different COTS model. Is there any other LED, like a green one not lit when the red is on?
Dell, Its a IS-24-L unit. The solar panel is green. The red light on the charge controler/desulfater does not light up. Im getting 57v so its working. Just putting it out there. its real dim.

Attachments

Csm Davis

Okay I like mine but, I have seen lots of trucks with these with dead batteries but after recharging they were generally still good most of the trucks without them the batteries are generally not good. This is just my observation and not anything more, also I have seen many solargizers with burnt wires and one the little box had actually caught on fire :shock:. But until I have a problem with one of mine I will keep using mine.

196thprober

I have a couple of them installed, and the red light is always 'on' (you're right, difficult to see) which I beleive means they are working. Then I had someone with some brain power over here (I don't psses any) that checked them out and confirmed that. I just downloaded the manual and have to read it- bit that's my experience/2cents,

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
196thprober
I decided to bring you that LG, GA Rally T shirt you asked about.

Will see ya in Oscoda..K

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks