• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quiet cab?

wilco

I am taking a long trip in my M35a2 and would like to not melt in the cab , as well as NOT have to wear any ear protection.

I am instaling the popular NAPA muffler fix as well as using spray on bed liner in the cab floor.

I am installing sound deadiner on the underside of the hood , side pannels as well as the out side of the Valve covers.

Any other suggestions?

Flea

I'll second the windshield trick. Although, I just like driving with the door windows down... I'm one of those "drive with one elbow out" people.

Flea

RE: Re: Quiet cab?

I'd recommend putting some 3M insulating tape along the edges of the hood panels, as well as most anything else that opens and closes. It really does well to get rid of rattles while driving. I can't stand rattles, even on a 40-year-old MV.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

they all sound like good ideas to me. a super nice qt riding duece. what is the price and part number on that napa muffler? thanks TIm

Capt.Marion

Also, if you can get a canvas shifter boot that goes over the whole bottom of the shifter column and seals in the hole in the access floor panel, that keeps the hot air from blowing up off the engine and transmission/transfer case and right up into the cab.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: Quiet cab?

Capt.Marion said:
Also, if you can get a canvas shifter boot that goes over the whole bottom of the shifter column and seals in the hole in the access floor panel, that keeps the hot air from blowing up off the engine and transmission/transfer case and right up into the cab.
John Tennis sells real nice repops of these, I need to order a set.

neilhendrix said:
I`ll have to try the window/windshield trick. Mine get pretty hot
Trust me and the many folks I've told about this, it works. I learned this trick from G744 (Dennis Gilliam)

davidkroberts

RE: Re: RE: Quiet cab?

Quiet cab ..... in a deuce...?????? HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

rofl rofl rofl :roll:

let us know how it works out. I kind of like the noise in my trucks, keeps people from asking questions when im enjoying my drive. I can see how it would get irritating on a long drive though. To keep cool go to your nearest motorcycle shop and get one of the neck bandana/ gaiters that you soak in water, We've been using them for awhile and they really make a difference.

desertfox

:funny: Yea, keeping cool in a deuce. But the idea of sealing around the trans and transfer case shifters is a good idea. I have 2 trucks with this set-up and makes a difference. The last recovery from Ok I took the blue paper towels and cramed them around the trans shifter. Kept some of the heat out. The other tirck I have learned is take a hand towel and keep alot of water in the truck. Soak the hand towel, perferable green, in water and put it on your head. Looks stupid but I guarrantee it will keep you kool. Acts like a swamp cooler. Keep you head cool and your body will stay cooler and you will not suffer from heat exhaustion which can ruin your trip.

Barrman

The window open in the front and everything else closed trick is great. Above 30 mph.

I also have to tell you that the muffler does help. Especially at low speeds. Once you get about 35-40 though you get transmission noise, transfer case noise, tire noise, valve noise and a lot of wind noise. My Gasser is not much louder than a new vehicle at idle outside or inside. My exhaust is between the axles on the passenger rear too. At speed though, I can't tell you it is any different from a multifuel. I need hearing proctection.

The difference between a multifuel with a muffler and one without is about the same as driving down a hill compared to the same truck going up a hill. Just different degrees of loud.

wilco

Valve cover

The valve covers act like a speaker for the Diesel knock. Coating them helps stop them "ringing" . My wifes VW TDI has a large insolated box over the valve cover and the top of the head.
Sealing the shifters in in the plan as well!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks