• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quotes with M1009 resellers

mikey

Thanks everyone for concerns and input. I did go to the ER today after the shock and adrenaline wore off and I realized I still had substantial pain. Looks like I have some nerve issues along with neck and back pain, but they suspect the nerve issues will go away when swelling subsides. CT scan was good on my back but they want an MRI on the neck as the CT was inconclusive.

I'd like to definitely buy that 09 back for parts if possible. It's a tough loss because after my M38a1 the M1009 was definitely my favorite mv and I have been using it a lot for local errands and joy rides.

Honestly that doesn't look to bad, if the frame is still good that should easily repairable with some replacement body parts. The rear would require some body work maybe. As yo your original question does past sell prices at auctions not work for them?
Damage is substantial. Axle and frame are bent and steering box is shot. He hit my wheel straight on. You can see the damage to the metal above my wheel, but my wheel sent his passenger side front wheel back about a foot. It was a newer Silvarado, so if they don't total his, it's going to be over $10k in repairs.

Oh, TnJMurray, Boyce, Memphis etc.
I already tried Easter, and Boyce. I got some leads on other sellers from the CUCV facebook group, but I did not try Memphis or TNJ. Neither Boyce or Eastern have any M1009's

You don't want auction prices since they're trying to determine value to pay him. You want to find the highest price M1009 out there for comparables. They should take private sales since these vehicles are generally not available through dealerships. Do a search for "For Sale" vehicles either through places like Craig's List, eBay, classifieds here, etc. It's THEIR job to find prices but if they do they're going to find the ones that sold for the least not the most and pay you based on that.
My insurance company is not going to be involved. He ran a stop sign and hit me and he was cited. I know for a fact that his company is going to lowball me. It took me two years to find a good M1009 and I'm just getting my ducks in a row now so that I don't lose more time replacing it. I'm expecting them to lowball me so I want comparable prices in my hand when they do. I've actually not yet heard from his insurer.

The problem is if you don't have a agreed upon value in your policy they consider it a total because repairs exceed the value. With no blue book for them it's going to be a battle getting a fair deal from a insurance company.
I'll be dealing with his insurance, so agreed upon value won't help.

First off, are you okay Mikey? Did you get checked out for whiplash? I'm also sorry for your loss. I'm a little concerned about damage to the front axle, front leaf springs, and steering components. If the axle is bent or if the leaves are bent, the truck could be totaled by the insurance company. The path you take depends on what the insurance company says. If they total it, fight to keep the truck with a clean title. I also strongly suggest that you keep accurate records of all communications between you and the agents. Document everything. Time is on your side, not on the insurance company's side. They will want to close the case as fast as possible. Do not accept the first offer that you receive to settle. I hope this advice helps you out some.
CUCVRUS is a great resource as well. Send him a PM.
I went to the ER today. I do have some issues, but hopefully I'll be fine. Thank you for your concern. Good call on the axle. Yes it's bent as is the frame and we never even opened up the hood. I'll try to get to the yard where they towed it this weekend. The engine was ticking very loud too, but I'm hoping that is the fan shroud of something touching the fan.

I'm not sure if he's a legal business entity. I'll refer to private sales if I must, but I know they prefer quotes from businesses.

Thanks again everyone!

Mikey

Last edited:

rustystud

Thanks everyone for concerns and input. I did go to the ER today after the shock and adrenaline wore off and I realized I still had substantial pain. Looks like I have some nerve issues along with neck and back pain, but they suspect the nerve issues will go away when swelling subsides. CT scan was good on my back but they want an MRI on the neck as the CT was inconclusive.

I'd like to definitely buy that 09 back for parts if possible. It's a tough loss because after my M38a1 the M1009 was definitely my favorite mv and I have been using it a lot for local errands and joy rides.

Damage is substantial. Axle and frame are bent and steering box is shot. He hit my wheel straight on. You can see the damage to the metal above my wheel, but my wheel sent his passenger side front wheel back about a foot. It was a newer Silvarado, so if they don't total his, it's going to be over $10k in repairs.

I already tried Easter, and Boyce. I got some leads on other sellers from the CUCV facebook group, but I did not try Memphis or TNJ. Neither Boyce or Eastern have any M1009's

My insurance company is not going to be involved. He ran a stop sign and hit me and he was cited. I know for a fact that his company is going to lowball me. It took me two years to find a good M1009 and I'm just getting my ducks in a row now so that I don't lose more time replacing it. I'm expecting them to lowball me so I want comparable prices in my hand when they do. I've actually not yet heard from his insurer.

I'll be dealing with his insurance, so agreed upon value won't help.

I went to the ER today. I do have some issues, but hopefully I'll be fine. Thank you for your concern. Good call on the axle. Yes it's bent as is the frame and we never even opened up the hood. I'll try to get to the yard where they towed it this weekend. The engine was ticking very loud too, but I'm hoping that is the fan shroud of something touching the fan.

I'm not sure if he's a legal business entity. I'll refer to private sales if I must, but I know they prefer quotes from businesses.

Thanks again everyone!

Mikey
I would be real careful about injuries ! I was hit on the Freeway years ago. Due to a terrible accident all traffic ahead of me stopped. The problem was the guy behind me. He was arguing with his wife and didn't see that traffic had stopped. He hit me at 60 mph ! Well I thought I was OK at first then weeks later my knee gave way at work. I had torn apart my Mencius. My father who also was with me at the time severally hurt his neck. So before you let them sign you off on all the medical I would get a complete body work-up from your Doctor now. You don't want to be left paying those medical bills ! Also I would get a "Kelly Blue book" and check out prices. Remember your M1009 is basically a stock GM vehicle so use there prices.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be real careful about injuries ! I was hit on the Freeway years ago. Due to a terrible accident all traffic ahead of me stopped. The problem was the guy behind me. He was arguing with his wife and didn't see that traffic had stopped. He hit me at 60 mph ! Well I thought I was OK at first then weeks later my knee gave way at work. I had torn apart my Mencius. My father who also was with me at the time severally hurt his neck. So before you let them sign you off on all the medical I would get a complete body work-up from your Doctor now. You don't want to be left paying those medical bills ! Also I would get a "Kelly Blue book" and check out prices. Remember your M1009 is basically a stock GM vehicle so use there prices.
Kelly Blue Book only goes back to 1992. That's why having older vehicles insured for a agreed value gives you a base price to start with as your insurance will require a appraisal , so there is a value set on that vehicle.

mikey

I have collectors vehicle insurance on mine. I have the Mule (Avatar) insured for $10K.
I have stated the value, but I wanted to drive the M1009 daily and with no restrictions for local errands so I went with A national company. They did not allow me to state a value, but all of that is a moot point because it will be his insurance company paying the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikey

New pictures. The frame is bent. The front passenger side tire is out 2" further than the rear. The axle may not be bent, but it sure doesn't look good.

13383402_10206625220138067_604202068_o.jpg13383428_10206625220658080_1930547539_o.jpg13383600_10206625223378148_1762092273_o.jpg13383716_10206625220538077_198501957_o.jpg13383787_10206625219258045_362147333_o.jpg13383968_10206625218778033_1118788254_o.jpg13405126_10206625218618029_415995411_o.jpg13405539_10206625218498026_1487458659_o.jpg13410510_10206625217097991_996390742_o.jpg13410453_10206625218938037_763292226_o.jpg

Mikey

richingalveston

If you are thinking of trying to keep it for parts, check the motor mounts and make sure bolts are not broken out of the block. The block is toast if this happens. If the frame is bent up front then it can cause damage at the mounts.

does not look like many parts are worth keeping. Nothing there that wont come with a running and driving replacement 1009. Unless You had some special interior and or radio stuff which they will let you take that out.

mikey

Thanks for the tip on the frame mounts. The frame itself is bent also, not just the front crossmember, but those pictures don't really show it well.

13410771_10206625217698006_915768846_o.jpg13388920_10206625217738007_677038914_o.jpg

Mikey

nyoffroad

Straightening frames is why body shops have frame machines. Most shops nowadays are equipped for unibody and don't have the clamps or the equipment for a full frame vehicle. Or the trained personnel. They are out there and your truck may be fixable (can't tell from just pics) the insurance company will decide and you won't have much say so in the matter.
If they price parts they can use regular Chevy Blazer book prices and times BUT DO NOT LET THEM DETERMINE VEHICLE PRICE BY COMPARING BLAZER TO A CUCV! Big difference in prices. Best of luck!

avlon01

Unfortunately, they will most likely use Blazer prices to determine value. I was involved in an accident with my M1009 (not at fault) and had it insured as a daily driver under a regular car insurance policy. I had to hire a lawyer in order to receive close to the value of the M1009 - both my insurance and the other drivers insurance were using the value of a 1985 stock Blazer to determine compensation.

I learned my lesson with that. I now use a collector car insurance company with agreed on value for the vehicle. I can't use it as a daily driver, but at least I have a better chance of getting the value of my vehicle if something happens to it.

stationjj

Mikey I am glad you are ok. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for your post. It's making me rethink insurance on M1009.

I wasn't aware of classic car insurance. This lead me to a question. How to best determine the value of your CUCV?
After some research. i couldn't find a single M1009 for sale in my area or Ebay. So its getting harder to find these CUCVs

I understand the value is based off current condition and upgrades. I am guessing there is based value to start from?

I am trying to understand how to present value your CUCV. These trucks are over 30 years old and parts are getting harder to find.
We all know the insurance company will give you a low ball offer.

Thank You,

stationjj
KK4LNG

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been forever since I dealt with a total loss, but each time it was a negotiation.
They picked the cheapest ones they could find for the value. So I picked the most expensive examples & we met in the middle.

One was a fully loaded low mile Trans Am and they were picking high mile Firechickens for their price.
Other time they wanted to total my car because 3 of the wheels & tires were stolen.

Ins adjusters job is to pay as little as possible.

So find every $10K + M1009 out there and send it to them.

mikey

Mikey I am glad you are ok. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for your post. It's making me rethink insurance on M1009.

I wasn't aware of classic car insurance. This lead me to a question. How to best determine the value of your CUCV?
After some research. i couldn't find a single M1009 for sale in my area or Ebay. So its getting harder to find these CUCVs

I understand the value is based off current condition and upgrades. I am guessing there is based value to start from?

I am trying to understand how to present value your CUCV. These trucks are over 30 years old and parts are getting harder to find.
We all know the insurance company will give you a low ball offer.

Thank You,

stationjj
KK4LNG
I have yet to hear from the other drivers insurer so a lot of what could happen at this point is pure speculation. But I do agree with most members that the insurance company will do their best to give me the lowest offer they can.

That being said, no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes doing the right thing winds up biting you in the ass. I don't lie or cheat with insurance, registration, title or any of that. I went with a normal auto policy that did not allow me to state a value because I knew I'd be using the vehicle for more than just the imitated applications outlined in a collectors policy. I have Hagerty for some of my vehicles that I use only for parades. I could have added this M1009 to my hagerty policy and stated $10k as the value. But I tried to do the right thing and it could cost me.

I'll update this thread as the negotiations progress and when I hear from the insurer. If I get a ridiculous offer, I will fight this. I'll negotiate first and if I don't get a reasonable value, I'll see legal counsel. I honestly don't mind losing money fighting for what's right. What I won't do is lose money by letting someone push me around. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and I also hope this thread does get some members thinking about their mv values, whether its a CUCV, deuce, m38 or whatever.

Mikey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks