• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R-442 with an AS-1729??

762luver

Hey Folks,
I looked and looked but maybe I'm missing something. I'm trying to set up a VIC-47 in my M1009 back to original or close enough. I have two AS-1729's and would like to know how well will the second one work for the R-442?

I know it matches frequency wise, but I've seen in the TM 11-5820-401-20-1 that the AB-15 or AB-558/GR is the "correct" antenna, but what from practical experience will the AS-1729 produce?

The assumption would be that the base would be manually switched to the correct frequency. I can see no reason why I should have a problem.

Anyone reverse engineer the tuning control signals to work with the R-442?

The TM also NOTES:
The Antenna Element AT-1095/VRC may be substituted for the normally used three elements (MS-116A, MS-117A, and MS-118A).

Why would you cut down your antenna?

You typically want to get as close to full wave as possible.

Any advice or performance input would be appreciated before I spend money on an antenna that I might not need.

Thanks!
KB1THX
73's

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You nailed it when you said "manually switch the antenna". As long as you do that the AS-1729 will work fine for the R-442 receiver.

Using the AB-15 and its elements avoids having to do the manual switching, plus it's a much cheaper antenna.

Bob WB4ETT

762luver

I was swithching the base to get as much out of the unit as possible. Matching is not as much of an issue on Rx as Tx.

I have it so I'll use it. It will most likely sit on one freq since the 6m band is so narrow with these sets.

Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry too much about "what is right", versus what you have. I have run vehicular radios on RX with coat hangers (literally coat hangers) as antennas, and pretty much anything RF conductive will do on RX. Set it to the right manual tuned freq band and you should be good to go.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But the R442 like the RX in those transceivers is not the most sensitive, so getting the ant. somewhere near 5/8 wave or 1/4 wave around 52Mhz may do some good, just get it close. I like 5/8 where possible because it seems to match well. Next to that 1/4 wave. Others may like what they like!

length in FT from bottom of radiator to tip:

50______51______52______53______54______MHz
_4.92____4.82____4.73____4.64____4.55___1/4 wave
_9.84____9.65____9.46____9.28____9.11___1/2 wave
12.3____12.06___11.82___11.6____11.39___5/8 wave

Last edited:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i use the same setup on mine and although RX isnt as critical on length and matching as TX its still very important. i recommend just rotating manually the tuning knob on the bottom of the MX6707 to the range the R-442 is on, you will find much greater sensitivity on the radio.

its amazing how much that matters..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks