• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R. Lee Ermey in person in Birmingham May 22?

jrou111

Yeah I've know about it for about a month now. I'm bringing my M35A2. Do you have an MV? What time are the other deuces going to be there?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
James...send me specifics as soon as you get them.. Can you recon the site and see how many MV's could fit (if it is a stripmall or such).

We might want to bring a crowd of SS and MVPA folks to meet the Gunny.

I'll see how many of the North AL gang want to head down.....we can do a convoy.

Be great to get some shots of him in member vehicles.

jrou111

WM, I've been to the place a few times. There's decent parking for a few MV's. On the attached picture which is from google streetview you can see the parking lot. The lot kind of slopes down from US 31 like you can kind of see on the left side of the parking lot.

I'll get in touch with the folks at Hoover Tactical Firearms on Monday and let them know an approximate number of SS and MVPA folks that'll be there.

Could anyone who's planning on bringing an MV or know someone who's bringing an MV please let me know via PM or on this post?

Thanks,

James

Attachments

Last edited:

jrou111

I just heard about it from your post on CAOS4x4. I'm planning on bringing my deuce, but now that Wreckerman has found out we may have the MVPA involved which means we might have folks show up with Humvees, deuces, 5 tons, etc.

I'm going to call the folks at HTF tomorrow and give them a heads up.

jrou111

Update - I spoke with the owner of HRT today at lunchtime. The main parking area in front will be blocked off but he said that we will be able to park our MV's up in the front grass area right by the road. He also mentioned that there were some marines that will be bringing Humvees as well.

Please let me know if you are planning on coming so that I can give the owner an update on the number of SS/MVPA folks planning on coming since space is limited.

:jumpin:

jrou111

Well it turned out with just me and two other MV's. When I got there the line was wrapped around the building and navigating the cars was tricky to say the least.

The line wasn't hardly moving at ALL and it was HOT, there was even a woman who passed out. :( It didn't look like I was going to get to meet the Gunny so I just left the truck up there and headed home. :(

Here's some pics:

Attachments

notso

Sorry you werent able to get in jrou. We did appreciate you bringing your truck!

We were really surprised at the turn out and how it went. I think we learned a lot about what to do different next time.

All signs right now point to there being a next time. Mr. Ermey was quite happy with how his visit went, and was interested in doing it again.

I will see if I can get any of the photos from the shop and put them up here.

WreckerMan, wish you guys could have made it. We had the two '35s, a M38 and even a couple of Army HMMWVs later on.

ETA- Ok, I just looked closer at your pics, Im the guy in the Khaki shirt and green pants in the 7th pic.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

MAy 23rd, 2010.

R.Lee Ermy::beer:
"I'm gonna PT you untill your a-s sh-ts diamond cufflinks" A memorable line from a memorable man.... BOY, did they ever line up to see the Gunny! I was nowhere in the area, but I still think we ought to ally ourselves with the Gunny by showing up and supporting him at events like this.... He would have been worth an M105 on the MV question up in Madison, Wisconsin.... Say way you may, but he is recognizeable to many Americans, much as John Wayne was in his time....
Now drop and give me 50......:shock:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I met "Gunny" one time at the Knob Creek MG Shoot. He was shooting a episode of "Mail Call" and spent his time between shots mingling with the crowd. There's nothing fake about him. He is the same person you see on TV and is just as nice as you see on TV (minus his role in "Full Metal Jacket" :D). IMO his the greatest, most honorable actor, by a long shot, out there these days.

notso

Ok, heres a couple of pics that I got from the folks at the shop.

I had the privilege of driving Mr. Ermey to the shop in my M35A2.

First is the truck as we waited for them to arrive. The rest were taken as we arrived at the store.

All in all, a great day.

Attachments

Alex400

Ok, heres a couple of pics that I got from the folks at the shop.

I had the privilege of driving Mr. Ermey to the shop in my M35A2.

First is the truck as we waited for them to arrive. The rest were taken as we arrived at the store.

All in all, a great day.
That guy is awesome! It is so cool that you got to drive him around a bit and with his favorite gun none the less. The "Ma' Deuce." very very cool stuff.

Last edited:

ABN173

Man.........If I had still been stationed at FT Benning, GA I would have made it up there. Birmingham is my hometown too. I spent much of my teenage years at Hoover too.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's way b!tch!n'. What an honor to chauffeur the Gunny in your MV:driver:. Did you have him autograph your dash board??? That is what I plan to do if I ever meet him[thumbzup].