• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R & R work (remove and repair)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see a pipe wrench in a vise and hands in pockets, must be a pic from Drew's house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, you see a pipe wrench, clamped in a vise, bolted to a NOS crated deuce t-case, not at Drew's house.

(I have a pipe vise mounted on a work bench here actually)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's not really explaining the picture.
OK, fine.

One time, at band camp.....................................

Alright, first............ clintogf bought a bunch of NOS transfers.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48432-A-trip-to-Redstone-Arsenal&highlight=

She sold all but 2 of them...... and I said "Honey, if you want me to keep putting up with you, I need one of those for HQ41 and I need another one for HQ43."

So the transfer sits in the garage, awaiting the day the transfer wears out in my '87 M35A2C.

And while it sits there, I need a place for a vice, since I am poor and can not afford to build a shop.

So the vice got mounted to the NOS deuce transfer case crate.

And........ one day, I needed to use the pipe wrench to hold something (one of the studs came out of a front knuckle and I needed to get the nut off the stud). The vice wasn't strong enough to hold the stud without it turning so the pipe wrench came out. And I only have 2 arms so I had to figure out how to hold the pipe wrench while I turned the wrench.

And all of a sudden, in a flash of brilliance I SAW THE VICE AND ALL THE UNICORNS SANG AND I KNEW THAT WAS THE WAY.

The end.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

And........ one day, I needed to use the pipe wrench to hold something (one of the studs came out of a front knuckle and I needed to get the nut off the stud). The vice wasn't strong enough to hold the stud without it turning so the pipe wrench came out. And I only have 2 arms so I had to figure out how to hold the pipe wrench while I turned the wrench.

And all of a sudden, in a flash of brilliance I SAW THE VICE AND ALL THE UNICORNS SANG AND I KNEW THAT WAS THE WAY.

The end.
Always love those. They're the best:

flash.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've said it before, I'll say it again, We need a vise forum for those of us who have a vise vice. One day I'll tell the story of the 3 foot 4 foot pipe wrench.

saddamsnightmare

June 29th, 2015.

Gimpyrobb:

You got yourself a great deal, you just have to remember that machine could be 75+ years old, and not all machine owners maintain their equipment properly....,. I would have said disassemble (and diagram) in your garage, then soak the parts in engine cleaner (or better yet, put it through one of those machine shop parts cleaner tanks), then carefully reassemble, noting any wear or defects, and cleaning all machined travelling surfaces (post, mainly) with crocus cloth. Use 90-100 wt gear oil lightly wiped on during reassembly, lubricate and you should be good....

I used to take care of 180 year old machines, you really have no idea what crud looks like until one of them goes under in a brown water river flood......:D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kyle, at the time it was friggin COLD out like 7*. I took it apart in the living room on a big piece of cardboard. I did take it down to its individual components and clean everything. The bearings were replaced and it was put back together. It should have another 75-100yrs of good service to give.

Another Ahab

June 29th, 2015.

Gimpyrobb:

You got yourself a great deal, you just have to remember that machine could be 75+ years old, and not all machine owners maintain their equipment properly....,. I would have said disassemble (and diagram) in your garage, then soak the parts in engine cleaner (or better yet, put it through one of those machine shop parts cleaner tanks), then carefully reassemble, noting any wear or defects, and cleaning all machined travelling surfaces (post, mainly) with crocus cloth. Use 90-100 wt gear oil lightly wiped on during reassembly, lubricate and you should be good....
I am not familiar with "crocus cloth", is that kind of like the fine-grit emery cloth plumber's use to prep a joint for solder?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks