• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R Stands for Rev

tgtaylor64

My new M1009 project truck does not like reverse. All forward gears are fine, no slipping and good shifting and down shifting. Reverse is another matter. With some revving, it will start to slowly move backwards. Once it gets going, it goes. I have topped off the T fluid and put in some magic anti-slip fluid (probably AKA throwing a ten spot out the window). My next task will be to change the fluid and filter. Any suggestions?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for a rebuild. Runs about $500. One of the cheapest to rebuild.

Before you pull it out, check the linkage adjustment

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
R stands for rebuild.

SmokeyDod

I suggest that as soon as you get your newly purchasing truck or blazer home, as soon as it's off the trailer, that you drop the tranny pan and change the filter & fluid. I would do this even tho the fluid shows that its full and that it smells okay (not burnt smell). I have had two trucks that would not hardly move at all but fluid looked okay.
After dropping pan and checking the filter, it was't filty or dirty, just that if you closely at the filter, you could see that it had formed a hardened film like (kinda like way gas will solidify in carburator over time). I think this is due to the vechile just sitting for months on end and never being cranked. Once changed, trans. shifted just like it should.

Along with that, I always change motor oil & filter and check the front & rear diff. and also check level in transfer case. This is cheap investment for what savings you can get in long run. YOU CAN BURN UP A TRANSMISSION VERY QUICKLY IF FLUID IS NOT FLOWING. I MEAN 2-3 MINUTES IF YOU START REVING IT UP JUST TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET IT TO MOVE 30 FEET.

I am sure most of you guys know all this but this it mainly directed to all these NEW MEMBERS that just got a mv or going to get one and may not know how quickly damage can occur. Also I would hate to remove tranny and have it rebuilt & find out that it was just stopped up filter. JUST DON'T ASSUME IT NEEDS REBUILDING WITHOUT CHECKING ALL DELTAILS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU MAKE DECISION TO REMOVE IT.

tgtaylor64

I discovered some vacuum line issues between the modulator, IP, and tranmission valve. Could those be causing the slipping of reverse? I took it to a parking lot over the weekend and drove in reverse for several minutes. Once it gets going, it seems to be fine.

mktopside

Banned
:::shrugs::: My M1009 takes some gas to get going in reverse as well when it's cold. If it's warm it'll back up at idle, but backing out of my driveway I have to give it some gas. It hasn't gotten any worse, I just assumed "it is what it is"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks