• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Racor Filter Options

spectre6000

I've spent a good amount of time this morning researching fuel filter options. I don't like that the popular NAPA base loses many of the desirable features of the stock unit, so that's out. I don't like that the Stanadyne base is plastic, so that's out. Racor seems to be fairly popular, so I looked into that next. I want a heater, water separator, and a hand pump; a WIF sensor would be nice, but not entirely necessary. Based on my research, the stock lift pump options were capable of pumping up to 32 or so GPH (from memory), so 30 GPH rating is marginal, and better is preferred. The DB2 wants 5 micron minimum filtration, so that's the other major limit. Racor has two models that fit the bill: 245R and 445R. Adding "122" to the end of each part number adds a 12V in-bowl heater and 2 micron filtration. The 400 series has an available WIF sensor add-on, but as stated, it's only a nice-to-have. The 200 series has one inlet and two outlets, where the 400 series has two of each. The stock unit has one of each, so either are fine to overkill for my application. The decision is essentially down to port size... The 200 series ports are 1/4" in and out and the 400 series is 3/8" in and out to the stock unit's 3/8" in and 1/4" out. Given that both have the same 45 GPH flow rate, I don't think the 1/4" inlet should be a major limiting factor with an extra fitting but I'm not completely sure about that. The 3/8" out is obviously not an issue, as that can easily be choked down with an extra fitting, but there is a $70 difference or so between them for that...

Does anyone have any input on the limitations or lack thereof inherent to a 1/8" choke on the fuel filter inlet from stock?

ssdvc

The set up the GimpyRob sells can do all that you are asking about. It has four ports (2+2) and you can add a fuel heater and pump to it, and the set up comes with 6 fuel/water 5 micron filters. The base is made of metal, not plastic. There is a plastic ring that secures the filter in place, but I don't think it sees any real stress.

Works good and you can't beat the price.

spectre6000

Found them. I thought those were plastic. After getting the quote to have my IP rebuilt, that's looking like a tough deal to beat though...

Last edited:

Skinny

The FM100 and FM1000 have aluminum heads. The FM10 is made of plastic. I personally think the lower end Racor units suck especially for what you pay for them. I have a pair of nicely optioned out FM100's including a manual primer and heater. They are great quality and priced right.

The higher end Racor's are nice, work great in certain applications, but to me just do not perform well on the lower end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks