• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radial tire chains?

ODdave

I have done some looking around and i havent found anything helpfull yet (found some bias info). I am curious if they made mill spec tire chans for the 37in radials? also how availible are they? I would realy like to find some (set of 4) but am only finding ones for the 36's. Also what should i expect to pay?

If no luck i will try to find civi ones but surplus makes me feel better !

dilvoy

I have a couple of sets of the mil tire chains for the radial Humvee tires. Call a place that sells tire chains and give them the tire size and that should be all you have to do. Make shure to ask for chains and not cables and to ask at a place that caters to trucks and not just cars for city folks.

motomacguyver

Tire chains are available by tire size. The best ones are "case hardened" they will last MUCH longer on the road. If all you can find in your price range is surplus, you can add a few chain links, (hardware store) on the side links to make them fit your tire combo. Also chains are not meant to go over 30 mph.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, if you can't find what you need, it's always possible to make your own custom chains based on a chain "stock" size/dimension. I made 4ea for the 8x8 according to the TM pictures since nothing was to be found. Modified the 1100-20 tire chains, which had the same chain dimensions (side chains and cross links).

Attachments

M1075

I have a barrel or two of new HMMWV tire chains. Let me check the NSNs to whether they fit the 36s and/or 37s.
I checked the chains I have and the bags are marked for 36x12.5x16.5. Not sure if they would work on 37" radials or not.

sgtmike3

Don't know if this would help or not, but I have the NSN's for the older style chains and the new "improved" chains. According to PS issue 646, page 61 the new chains are a square design and have a self-tensioner.
Old? - NSN 2540-01-214-1264
New - NSN 2540-01-530-6341