• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Cap alternate part number Stant/MotoRad 10230

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts reference spreadsheet only lists the Stant AA02516 - this being a military part number without any cross-reference. Doing some digging around it appears that a Stant 10230 is a proper fit and is stocked at nearly every auto parts store in the USA. Autozone part number 7016 (it's a Stant/MotoRad in a Duralast box), O'Reilly part number MCS7016, NAPA part number BK 7031699, etc.

Thanks MWME for making their SKU on their web site using the Stant original part number followed by the interchange 10230 number and marking up a $6 radiator cap to $20. :ROFLMAO:

My cap was leaking and for some reason was a 15lb cap not the proper 16lb cap that's supposed to be there.

coachgeo

how did you decide a 16lb cap was the proper poundage?

have seen others say their cap was 14lb... but they upgraded to 15 for to accommodate drive to AZ

wonder if they were adjusted up and down to accomidate where they truck would be mostly (Alaska, or Kuwait)

Ronmar

Anywhere in that range is fine. A psi more or less doesn’t significantly change your boiling point, and if you are that close to the edge you probably have other issues you should address:)

Yea they took the fan control solenoid I researched($26) and did a youtube video on, and they added about $30 in fittings and connector and are asking $309 for it… I see it has no reviews yet:)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter

have seen others say their cap was 14lb... but they upgraded to 15 for to accommodate drive to AZ

wonder if they were adjusted up and down to accomidate where they truck would be mostly (Alaska, or Kuwait)
I googled the NSN of the AA02516 and found the listing with the specifications including the dimensions and the pressure rating.

I'm guessing that the mil spec unit probably has different materials used for the seals, etc. Just like they use silicone for much of the hoses on these trucks while consumer products use rubber for the most part.

I think my truck just plain had the wrong cap for unknown reasons. If anything you would want to increase the pressure for a higher boiling point in the desert and my truck was in Kuwait and El Paso it's entire life so I can't come up with a reason for a lower pressure cap. The old cap was a "TVS RC15" which I haven't found referenced anywhere in terms of the proper NSN..... It could be that BAE just bought a bunch of caps that more or less fit the application and that's what they threw on the truck. Or perhaps the filler necks that the manufacturer of the overflow tank bought to weld on came with the cap included...... I doubt it had ever been replaced in the history of my truck. When it was acquired from the military it had about 1500 miles on it and the cap was obviously much older than the few years it has been in civilian hands so I've got to assume it was original.

But as Ronmar points out - a few PSI one way or the other won't make a significant difference. Mine was simply leaking past the pressure seal due to age and I was getting coolant dribbling out of the overflow hose every time I drove. The new 10230 fit perfectly and solved that problem.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2020 though...... as in.... would that not be the C7 engine and not the previous engines?

anyway...... all the previous part numbers in this thread are for 16lb caps anyway
That's the date of FLIS management - where they probably changed pricing information only. You have to look above that to the NIIN issue date which is March 17, 2000 - that was when the NSN was created. It could be that trucks prior to that date had a different cap but they all supersede to this cap now.

Ronmar

With 13 PSI added to atmospheric pressure, water boils at ~245F.
With 16 PSI added to atmospheric it boils at ~250F… you are gaining about 40F of delta over an atmospheric pressure boil…

quite frankly, if you are unable to dissipate the heat generated with the delta provided by a 212F atmospheric pressure boil you have a heat exchanger or coolant flow problem... Most cooling systems leak anyway as that cap with it’s large sealing surfaces is a weak link that without regular and proper service often leaks. You can test the cap, you can test the system, but it is more difficult to actually test the system with the cap in place so you have no idea if it is actually capable of sealing to that rated pressure when installed…

Reworked LMTV

My 13# one started leaking the other day. Replaced with the Autozone 16#. No more leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks