• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Internals

TheControlVoice

I hope this is not a stupid question but I was checking the coolant level and noticed the inside of the radiator. To me it looks like it has a lot of buildup. Adding a picture below. Just courius if this is an issue or not.

PXL_20220622_004917527.jpg

Keith_J

Solder bloom, common problem with age. You could try cooling system flush but you can cause cooling system leaks.

If you can find a radiator repair shop, they might be able to clean and resolder the tubes plus seal any leaks for about $500.

chevymike

Yeah, that's about what mine looked like. Took it to a local radiator shop to have the boil and clean it but when they inspected it, they showed me how thin the tube are getting and cleaning it would result in lots of little pinholes. I had them re-core it and haven't looked back. Wasn't cheap but it was done right.

ssdvc

This is the radiator I purchased for less than $279 shipped and a seller rating of 99.7 with close to 6000 sales: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2249683485...s=Year:1984|Model:K30|Make:Chevrolet#shpCntId

I am in the process of installing it now. She was well packaged, arrived within days, looks good and and all fittings look correct. Baring any unseen weld issues (doubtful) she looks like she will function great and last longer than the truck she is getting installed in. The one you reference from Amazon looks to be for an 87 up and may not be for your 84 spec truck.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the radiator I purchased for less than $279 shipped and a seller rating of 99.7 with close to 6000 sales: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2249683485...s=Year:1984|Model:K30|Make:Chevrolet#shpCntId

I am in the process of installing it now. She was well packaged, arrived within days, looks good and and all fittings look correct. Baring any unseen weld issues (doubtful) she looks like she will function great and last longer than the truck she is getting installed in. The one you reference from Amazon looks to be for an 87 up and may not be for your 84 spec truck.
That is a good deal on your radiator, I hope it turns out great for you and others that might be looking for a radiator to fit their vehicles. The CU850 radiators fit the cucv vehicles. It is the same one I have in my vehicle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks