• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Repair and Improvements

JasonS

I've had my radiator out a few times to re-solder the top of the fan shroud to the top tank. By chance, I was looking at a few spare radiators and noticed that those had much greater overlap between the top tank and shroud and therefore greater strength. I cut a new shroud with a jigsaw, tinned the tank and shroud with a propane pencil torch, painted, then soldered in place. These kinds of radiator repairs really aren't too hard if you clean and tin parts before mating.

I have also been using a heim joint and "normal" radiator hose on the top. I think that using the rigid radiator hose on the top contributes to shaking the neck loose.

Attachments

rustystud

I've had my radiator out a few times to re-solder the top of the fan shroud to the top tank. By chance, I was looking at a few spare radiators and noticed that those had much greater overlap between the top tank and shroud and therefore greater strength. I cut a new shroud with a jigsaw, tinned the tank and shroud with a propane pencil torch, painted, then soldered in place. These kinds of radiator repairs really aren't too hard if you clean and tin parts before mating.

I have also been using a heim joint and "normal" radiator hose on the top. I think that using the rigid radiator hose on the top contributes to shaking the neck loose.
I went to a "silicone" hose for the top years ago for that very reason. Silicone hoses are much more flexible then normal rubber hoses. Good idea on the shroud too. That should increase the strength of the core considerably.

JasonS

I went to a "silicone" hose for the top years ago for that very reason. Silicone hoses are much more flexible then normal rubber hoses. Good idea on the shroud too. That should increase the strength of the core considerably.
I don't think that there is a joint in the radiator that I haven't had to repair. I am hoping that these repairs last awhile...

ToddJK

Great job on the radiator. Looks like it's pretty strong, should hold up for a while.
Did you buy that hose that length or was it cut down?

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks