• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator spectra CU850

richingalveston

Just passing along my experience here. I am refreshing my 1009 motor and had the radiator out and wanted it cleaned. Finally found one place left in Houston that would clean it and test it and of course it was bad after cleaning. Cost to repair is more than new.

In preparation for the possibly bad radiator I shopped for several weeks trying to buy the Spectra cu850 copper and brass replacement.
The three auto zones in my area say they can no longer get it and only the aluminum one with plastic tanks is now available at auto zone.
At oriely's they were able to find 4 still in warehouse but they could not order it new. They say Spectra has discontinued it.

I bought one of the four available and because of shipping it cost $649.00
The crappy plastic one was $375.00

Just passing this along. Maybe elsewhere they can still be bought. If not, those planning on a radiator change in the near future may want to get one while some are still out there.

Radiators are expensive for what you get. I am getting rebuilt IP, 8 new injectors and return line from badger diesel for $600

The radiator cost will double my motor and cooling system refresh cost.
I did get hoses from Rock Auto, although they have not been installed, when compared to the old, they look like a pretty good copy.

cucvrus

I was rather fond of the GM replacement radiators. The last ones GM offered were plastic tank and aluminum core. I like them over the copper brass. They are OEM Harrison were available till about 2011. Then I was buying Autozone replacements. The last one I bought was 3 core not 4 core. I have a few OEM radiators that could possibly be repaired. But they are not inexpensive to have re cored. I have a few that did not leak when I removed them. they were just originals and I wanted to change them as a PM item. i hung onto them for scrap or as spares for Terminus M1009. I was unaware that Autozone did not carry the CU850 any longer. I am sure I could make something else work if the need be. Thank you for the word on that. I will start hoarding radiators for CUCV's going forward. i have 5-6 used ones and 1 new Harrison.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as far as I'm concerned do not get rid of your OE old rads, I get all my rads re-cored , there is so much cheap junk out there, the old saying you get what you pay for, the rads were designed to do a job under harsh conditions and with so many of us working our trucks in one way or another you want that BIG rad out front,

richingalveston

There are no more shops left that re-core radiators unless they are industrial and that is even getting hard to find. I found one in Houston that would touch mine and their labor rates to re-core because they were industrial would have cost about $1000. They kindly cleaned mine and tested for no charge. It was going to be $100 but since it failed he did not charge me.
I instead spent 650 to get what I was told was one of the few remaining brass and copper on the shelf.
If it does not last, I think the only option left is plastic for almost 400

Radiator shops are a dead business.

richingalveston

I tried to order from summit and got a back order and it was showing 3 to 4 weeks. I canceled the order. I then decided I wanted one from a shop I could return it to and hopefully grab another one the same day so I went to the recommended Auto zone where they were able to pull it up on the computer and actually started to ring it up when the computer would not complete the order it showed out of stock. I went to two other auto zones in my area because I know the people behind the counter are often wrong. Same thing at other two shops.

I went to orielly's " that's where I do most of my parts shopping since it is closest to me. They could pull it up on the computer but had to call for a price. On the phone they quoted me 325. I was waiting on word from my radiator that was being cleaned so I waited two days before going to oriell'ys to purchase. They pulled it up on computer and could not ring it up. found out then it was discontinued by spectra is what I was told. I asked them to search for any still available and about 4 hours later they had one but the shipping was expensive. I bought it because I was tired of looking and if it shows up damaged I get my money back.

I am sure there are plenty out there in warehouses. Spectra may still be making it, but that would be strange for the two largest auto parts chains not selling it.

I only put this out there so others could be on the lookout. It may be a false alarm and It may not.
Take the info as you wish.

GunnyM1009

Thanks for the heads up. I wish I could go ahead and order one being that mine is going to need replacing soon. Just looked at it and it appears the po may have done some wooded trail riding in this thing. There are alot of fins damaged. Its still doing the job for now though. Hopefully they will still be around when mine finally goes.