• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radio gear

johnsr

i have been tring to find out what radios where used in the m1028. i have had no luck. i am wanting to put to geather a working comm truck (or as close as the law will allow).

Wile E. Coyote

M1008 pickup (yours is the shelter carrier version) had a radio rack that sat in the cargo area up against the back of the cab and fitted various items from the VRC-12 family radios depending on vehicle role etc., but most seem to have been stripped out and the vehicles re-roled to straight cargo/GP vehicles very early on in their careers. In fact, the only one I'd seen still fitted with the rack was in an old Air Guard CUCV surplused through GSA which had obviously been sitting around the RCP for a decade or better.

However, if you want yours to be a shelter carrier, Fred431 is correct. S-250 shelters are all over but most have been stripped at least to the main rack, if not further. You can look up "AN/GRC-142" on Google for an idea of what went in the beast etc.

papakb

The 1028 is the shelter carrier version of this truck and would most likely have had an S250 shelter mounted in the back. Beyond that it could have had almost anything inside. The common rigs were RTTY (radio teletype) rigs for long range HF communications. Early RTTY shelters were the AN/GRC-46 that were replaced by the AN/GRC-142/144 systems.

Beyond that these same shelters were used for VHF comm systems, UHF aircraft control systems, SATCOM systems, tactical jammers, tropo scatter systems, the list goes on and on.

A "working commo" truck will require you to have an amateur radio license for anything beyond a CB or FRS/MRS system so keep that in mind if you intend to transmit. Monitoring (listening) is still free unless someone plants a bug up the FCCs behind and they outlaw it.

Have fun, it's a great hobby

Kurt KG6KMJ