• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio installation

BillIdaho

I just noticed this!! I have been a member here for quite some time, but have been away due to life. I am back now. I own an M151A2, an M54 A2CWo/W (with HEMMT wheel/tires!) as well as a GamaGoat. (And a yard full of various trailer.) Some of you here might remember, but I have had it for about 10-12 years. When I got it, I was the second owner after Uncle Sam was tired of playing with it. It had a million holes drilled into the carrier seat area, which as you all know is common with most vehicles--- that have been attacked by Bubba. I welded them all up and ground them down. (And did quite an admirable job if I might say so myself!).
I was able to actually search the history of this particular vehicle and found where it was assigned. I was then able to actually find out who turned wrenches on it!! I found out it has quite a unique history. You know all those holes I welded up?-----well, turns out my Goat was a RATT rig, but what made it so unusual was all the radio gear was NOT inside an S250 shelter as was done about 99% of the time with RATT rigs! All those holes were from the original radio mounts!! (At least I now had all the proper locationsa for the various mounts.sponsons, etc.!) So, boys and girls, I decided to return it back to its original configuration. It took a handful of years, but it is restored just like it was back in the day. The entire rear carrier is full of radio gear, and with the exception of (I think) one of the NUMEROUS radios, all are in working order! (I know, pictures or it didn't happen, but me and posting pictures is not a happening thing!)
I have that installation booklet. With all the antennas up, it looks like a pin cushion!!
Some day I will figure out how to post pictures.

Sadly, I just bought a brand new divorce, and once I crunch my financial settlement numbers, it might need to be turned into a " I USED to have a GamaGoat...."

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just noticed this!! I have been a member here for quite some time, but have been away due to life. I am back now. I own an M151A2, an M54 A2CWo/W (with HEMMT wheel/tires!) as well as a GamaGoat. (And a yard full of various trailer.) Some of you here might remember, but I have had it for about 10-12 years. When I got it, I was the second owner after Uncle Sam was tired of playing with it. It had a million holes drilled into the carrier seat area, which as you all know is common with most vehicles--- that have been attacked by Bubba. I welded them all up and ground them down. (And did quite an admirable job if I might say so myself!).
I was able to actually search the history of this particular vehicle and found where it was assigned. I was then able to actually find out who turned wrenches on it!! I found out it has quite a unique history. You know all those holes I welded up?-----well, turns out my Goat was a RATT rig, but what made it so unusual was all the radio gear was NOT inside an S250 shelter as was done about 99% of the time with RATT rigs! All those holes were from the original radio mounts!! (At least I now had all the proper locationsa for the various mounts.sponsons, etc.!) So, boys and girls, I decided to return it back to its original configuration. It took a handful of years, but it is restored just like it was back in the day. The entire rear carrier is full of radio gear, and with the exception of (I think) one of the NUMEROUS radios, all are in working order! (I know, pictures or it didn't happen, but me and posting pictures is not a happening thing!)
I have that installation booklet. With all the antennas up, it looks like a pin cushion!!
Some day I will figure out how to post pictures.

Sadly, I just bought a brand new divorce, and once I crunch my financial settlement numbers, it might need to be turned into a " I USED to have a GamaGoat...."
Well, that isn't good. AND you might not ever finish paying for that divorce. Get somebody on your team for sure!

Don't know that I could afford it, but maybe a PM just because I am curious what one might sell for?

BillIdaho

I had to go out and uncover it, and while I had it opened up, I figured I would write down all the radios:

a GRC106 radio, GRR5 receiver, an RT524 radio, an RT246 radio with the various required channel selecting boxes up front, an R442 receiver, a VRC-240T radio, an AM2411T amplifier, a GRC142 tele-typewriter, an MD522 modem under the GRC106, a VIC-1 intercom system (required on a Gama Goat!), a TA838 (direct wired) field phone. There are also numerous MX7777 circuit breakers, along with the correct MEP battery charger unit and power cord. Everything works, with the exception of the GRC106--which apparently doesn't transmit.
The Goat has a 100 amp generator (or is it an alternator?, I forget....).

I think I have a truss kit, an unused vinyl top and doors (not 100% certain about the doors, but I think so) and an extra fiberglass center console. I should know within a month or so if it is going to have to go. And, I have no clue in regards to a value/price. Maybe some of y'all could help with that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks