• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio, speakers, & antenna

M1008driver

My M1008 speakers sounded terrible and my radio is an 8-track. I sprayed electric cleaner heavily on the speakers and to my surprise they sound great now.

I needed a AM/FM/CD radio and bought a inexpensive Boss from Walmart. I also bought a hideaway antenna and wanted to pass it along. I just needed some radio and don't care about stereo.

(Please note this is not spam. I actually bought this antenna.)

Tune Trapper Antennas

The Tune Trapper antenna was designed to be Hidden and mounted almost anywhere: headliner, trunk, under dash, rear window tray,overhead console, behind seat, glovebox, etc.. The TT no ground plane design works well on all vehicles - especially fiberglass cars, boats, Rv's where a good ground plane is non-existant. In steel, only a minimum clearance of 3/4" is required. Most vertical whip antennas are a 1/4 wave ground plane. The Tune Trapper is a full 1/2 wave helical dipole wound with solid copper wire and requires no ground or power. Each TT is hand tuned to FM resonance (88-108MHz) with special instruments and individually tested prior to packaging. The cable is high quality 95% copper braid shielded cable for elimination of EMI noise from wipers, fans, engine, blower, etc.. Motorola termination to plug directly into your radio. Handles AM-FM-WeatherBand-HD. 24" long, 1/2" diameter with center mount including 3M double-side tape. May be secured with tie wraps. All connections soldered for durability/performance. Unique, flexible and sealed housing is weather-tight and durable. May be spray painted with nonmetallic paint to match interior.

Attachments

Last edited:

CPAPPY

What the heck is a 8 track just kidding , I havent seen one of those in 30 plus years . You do have good taste of music I do like Jonny Cash . Pretty cool antenna, if you dont mine whats the price on the antenna .

M1008driver

I brought my Walmart radio back. I would have to cut the slot and really did not want too. I bought this radio that fits in the hole I already have. It does not have a cd player, but does have modern features so I can play my music.

Retro Sound

I bought this thing too. What is cool is one side has power and the other side has the ground so I don't have to find a good place because the unit is grounded. I just need a good place to mount it. Strip about 1/8" is all I have to do. No connectors for accessories.

AP-1 Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel

Last edited:

JSF01

I took a metal box and installed a radio and and a cut apart an inverter, turned on with toggle switches. I took that whole set up and placed it on the radio rack. Still have to get an antena for my set up but since it had a aux cable I used it all the way from MT to VA

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I find a free 8-track player, I smash it. Send it to electronics ****. They don't ever deserve to be collectible.

M1008driver

I finally got my radio installed. I decide to put the aux fuse panel under the hood so that it is easier to get to. The radio does all I expected. The Tune Trapper Antenna does not perform as well and I will be replacing it after some research.

I made a new accessory hole in the fire wall and lined it with a rubber grommet. I also use 120 volt lamp wire as it is small and exceeds my needs for power.

One concern is I did not wire the radio to the ignition and the clock is always on. It is LED, so I am deciding if it can stay that way without messing with my batteries.

EDIT- Disconnect your batteries. If the radio makes contact with the starter relay (doghead mod), July 4th will not be as pretty as the spark storm you will have. Trust me on this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Red_506

If you have an amps clamp put it to the ground and see what the draw is. If you are less than a half amp you should be fine as that is about what a normal car draws when off. If you don't drive it on a regular basis and you store it outside install a solargizer; if it's stored inside get a battery tender (make sure it's 24vdc).

forest522

Great looking stereo addition! Did you put speakers in the stock dash location? The LMC kick panel speakers might be pretty good, not sure though. I am seriously considering installing one of these RetroSound stereos - my kids will like the remote and the ipod connection. Wait, maybe I should hide the remote...:shock:

M1008driver

I already have the solargizer and so far no problems. I used the original speakers and they sound decent. I only wanted some music, so I am not concerned about better sound at the moment. I did spray the speakers with electronic cleaner awhile back and they sound better. Maybe some day in the future I will get some modern speaker updates.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks