• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rain water in exhaust

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a stupid question, but what happens if a lot of rain water gets into the exhaust pipe?

Until now, I never thought about it, and my exhaust pipe (M51A2) had several holes in the horizontal part before entering the turbo part, so it used to be no problem. However, I welded some plates on it, so it is mostly closed. Also, the truck now is standing with the exahust opening in the direction of the prevailing rain storms and the Netherlands had the wettest recorded summer EVER.

So what happens with the water is if cannot escape through the rust holes?

Alredneck

Banned
How much do you consider a lot?

Dont worry about it unless its been a hurricane. It will all blow out when you start the motor. If your worried about premature rot in the j-pipe then drill a small hole so the water can drain.

Flyingvan911

I bought an empty gallon paint can from the hardware store and painted it green and black. I use a bungee cord to keep it down during storms. It works well. The biggest challenge is remembering to take it off before I start the engine. rofl

Coldfusion21

I don't have a 5 ton to say for sure but I bet somewhere the exhaust has a low point and the water collects there. If the truck doesn't ever run it'll stay there till it rusts out/evaporates. If the truck runs it probably will evap/blow out next time it starts.

I'd cover it if I were you.

steelandcanvas

Don't park your Wifes white car next to the Deuce (or 5 ton) with a exhaust full of water, then start the Deuce (or 5 ton). Ask me how I know. Doctor says I should heal up OK though. :shock:

Barrman

Mermite can inserts fit great. Leave dents when you start the truck and forget to remove them though. Best cover I have read about is 2 liter soda jugs cut to a snug fit over the pipe. If you forget, they don't leave dents in what they fly into.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The can and such I already figured out I will do next week when I am back.

My main concern is, if there is persistent rain with winds blowing the rain in the uncovered pipe. IF the water does not go out quick enough, it can somehow enter the once cylinder that is just on its outflow stroke and mess up things there or is it blocked from ever getting there?

91W350

That would be a lot of rain! It would have to fill that horizontal tube from the fender to inside the hood, then up the pipe a foot or more. I would guess a 36 inch rainfall right down the tube would not get it that full.

91W350

I just know Karl Kostner took advantage of my rookie experience with the exhaust stacks. When we recovered my deuce from Ellsworth, it was cold, really cold outside. It was sweet music when that old girl started. We had brought in ten gallons of fresh fuel, good thing too as the tank was about empty. Karl was in the cab and I was reluctantly giving it a small shot of ether when it started. We had sooty ice chinks and debris flying everywhere. As the engine ran for a few minutes, Karl tells me to pour in the last five gallons. He could not have timed it any better. That thing started blowing little wet black hail stones and pelting me as they can down. I had soot marks all over my face, in my hair and on my coat. He still denies doing it on purpose, but.....

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I do not have in my head, how the exhaust goes. With the M51A2 (multifuel with airfilter on the right fender), I thought the exhaust did not go up but stayed horizontal until the turbo or am I wrong here.

As said, we had the wettest summer ever since they started measuring in 1906. The average for the summer was 14 inch; the highest location actually had 18 inches. On a few days, the rain occassionally ran up to 4 to 5 inches within 24 hour. We Dutch are used to water from all sides, but even for us this was extreme.

R Racing

When we get hurricanes or tropical storms on the east cost , You can get up to 1 to 4 " inches a hour of rain and it can rain for 24 hrs or more . Talk about flooding . But some how the trucks do fine. they just spew little black water spots everywere !!!!:shock:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I had the gasser m52 (has a low exhaust), I took my wife on a planed over night outing, had the 52 prepacked at the motel, for the ride home in the morning, went out in the morning and started the truck, as I was walking around looking for leaks, it was then I noticed the NEW, lite colored CAD, moisture build up at start up in the exhaust had changed the drivers door a lite runny gray, , told the wife," I think we need to GO"-'NOW".

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the Amish guys were building my barn they went around back and saw the two Deuces sitting there. They were standing by the passenger side when she lit off.

I got one guy real good and a few others had spots all over them.............

Well why do you think I wanted a barn?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M818 has a pipe plug on the muffler to drain out the water. It looks like it would take 10 or 15 gallons of water to get into the exhaust port.

If you get enough water in the exhaust, you can blow a head gasket. I saw a Freightliner with a Cummins pull started that hadn't run in a while. There was a lot of water in the exhaust and GALLONS blew out of the stack when it started. There was also a loud pop, pop, pop, pop, pop while it was idling and lots of white smoke out the stack. It had blown the head gasket with all the back pressure from the water.

Do yourself a favor and cover the stack.

KsM715

I use a 6" long piece of 4" drain tile tube with a drain tile plug on the end of that. Fits tight enough to hold it self on, but will blow off when started (if you forget to remove it) and lite enough not to do any damage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks