• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ramdough Cab Modifications Build Thread

ramdough

Well, made a little progress and then found a problem.

for the progress, I converted all of my doors to take m6 hardware (passenger side already had m6 rivnuts).

I also did the treatment on the passenger door as well.

I also put some Noico Ref on my passenger side kick panel.

I temporarily bolted in the driver side door panel and found a problem. The spline for the door release handle does not reach past the panels now. I may be able to suck it down a little better, but once I line the panels with the padded, perforated vinyl skin, it won’t reach.

any thoughts on alternate handles that can reach into the door panel?
4A714D95-9F67-47EF-B3B3-A5BAF34DA463.jpeg

Third From Texas

Good stuff. There are a lot of places that can use some insulation behind the dash. When I pull my heater to do the AC I intend to stuff as many spots as I can find.

Yeah, the handles are a tight fit. I'll be looking for a solution myself when I do my interior. I'm thinking it's either going to require having an extension fabricated or do some sort of upholstery work to make a circular indentation/flat spot at the handles.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, made a little progress and then found a problem.

for the progress, I converted all of my doors to take m6 hardware (passenger side already had m6 rivnuts).

I also did the treatment on the passenger door as well.

I also put some Noico Ref on my passenger side kick panel.

I temporarily bolted in the driver side door panel and found a problem. The spline for the door release handle does not reach past the panels now. I may be able to suck it down a little better, but once I line the panels with the padded, perforated vinyl skin, it won’t reach.

any thoughts on alternate handles that can reach into the door panel?
View attachment 839051
I have seen a few builds "on the tube" where there was a thick carpet (heavy weave) affixed to the door panels. That somewhat eliminates the "hose it out" function, but all that foam insulation has possibly already fixed that situation. I saw one with really thin sound deadening material on the inside and carpet outside...

Maybe that could work for you?

ramdough

I have seen a few builds "on the tube" where there was a thick carpet (heavy weave) affixed to the door panels. That somewhat eliminates the "hose it out" function, but all that foam insulation has possibly already fixed that situation. I saw one with really thin sound deadening material on the inside and carpet outside...

Maybe that could work for you?
At this point, I have already affixed my insulation.

Getting a better handle is the best solution.

I really like the performance in the panels…. At least the knock test is extremely dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Here is the spline problem.

0C5299D6-A2C5-4154-9C3F-AE14F4A36903.jpeg

I need a spline that can reach into the hole. I can always make the hole larger…. But the spline has to go into the hole.

ramdough

Ran across this. Seems in some cases the straps were in fact used with the old hand grab.

View attachment 839082
Thanks for the post…. Just need to find the hardware. Anyone have a spare set or a parts truck with some?

[mention]Third From Texas [/mention] I was in your neck of the woods this week…. Spent Monday night on Mustang Island….. almost had to swim to get out of the tent.

Third From Texas

Thanks for the post…. Just need to find the hardware. Anyone have a spare set or a parts truck with some?
I bet I could make the brackets and the inboard backing plate with a trip to Lowes and a hand grinder.

[mention]Third From Texas [/mention] I was in your neck of the woods this week…. Spent Monday night on Mustang Island….. almost had to swim to get out of the tent.
Yeah, it's been "tropical". You got out before it got really bad. Rained all week with the worst being the past two nights/mornings.

My garage has about an inch of water in it and I can get shit done till this stops.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ran across this. Seems in some cases the straps were in fact used with the old hand grab.

View attachment 839082
That looks exactly like mine. Definitely looks like "factory" to me.
The strap comes across the front of the hand grab.

Both sides look the same and both brackets are beefy and carc painted.
Pictured the passenger side of my 2002 truck M1088

The other S&S is a 1996 that has no brackets and looks like it never had any (no picture).

M1088 (2002) Door Stop Strap.jpg

Third From Texas

That looks exactly like mine. Definitely looks like "factory" to me.
The strap comes across the front of the hand grab.

Both sides look the same and both brackets are beefy and carc painted.
Pictured the passenger side of my 2002 truck M1088

The other S&S is a 1996 that has no brackets and looks like it never had any (no picture).

View attachment 839203
Yeah, it was a change that came with the A1 best I can find. The A1R's got the new grab bar (not sure why other than it may have pinched an LT's finger or BAE saved money on the shorter bar). LOL.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
search internet for "window crank handle extensions". they are sold on amazon as well as hotrod outfitting places etc.
Wow. Neat idea. Nice find coachgeo !

I guess that was what the people used to use "back in the day" when shag carpeting was used to build out "leisure vans".
Those extensions appear that they would solve your problem.

Picture attached because I was curious too...

Window Crank Extension.jpg

ramdough

Wow. Neat idea. Nice find coachgeo !

I guess that was what the people used to use "back in the day" when shag carpeting was used to build out "leisure vans".
Those extensions appear that they would solve your problem.

Picture attached because I was curious too...

View attachment 839438
Yeah, that looks promising. I would like to find one that had an internal spline as well (not just a set screw). I also need to measure my splines to see what they are.

coachgeo

Yeah, that looks promising. I would like to find one that had an internal spline as well (not just a set screw). I also need to measure my splines to see what they are.

only guessing but thinking the ones you posted have splines inside the coupling as well as a set screw.

PS- one of the threads in here on window cranks has the spline count

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks