• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ran out fuel today!!

rolling18

Went out today to pick up some used motor oil!! 200gal. of it.

on the way back from Enumclaw WA.
I found out my fuel gauge was a little "off" as I ran out of fuel on I-5 long way from nowhere..

... luckily I had LOTS of oils in the back, poured 5 gal. from the dirty bucket to the fuel tank! was purring like a baby kitten!!!:driver: talkin unfiltered, thick, cold ect ect ect.

I always "clean" up the oil too 1 micron b4 burning it, but not much choice this time! man was i nervous, and worrying about the fuel filters luckily only went about 20 miles then got $40 in diesel to rinse things through..
Man I love the Multi-fuel motor!

It may not be the newest or most powerful, but what good is 200 HP if you have nothing to feed it???:mrgreen:

srodocker

nice...so you stole a source of oil from us up here in wa...dang you!!! if you ever need help up here give me a ring i can help during the days

rolling18

nice...so you stole a source of oil from us up here in wa...dang you!!! if you ever need help up here give me a ring i can help during the days
lol yea! Portland is running dry!! (are the Iraqies taking it here too
?) no more than a few gals a pop!!
wayyy to much competition here. its not like it costs to go anywhere to get it hehe
and i was wanting to take a drive in the old girl (3 hrs)

Last edited:

reloader64

The only thing worse than falling victim to a lying fuel gauge is knowing that the gauge lies, doing a visual check, and running out anyway! Luckily, Pawnshop was convoying with his CUCV, so a quick trip to the fuel pump got me back on the road, unscathed except for my pride.

Scott

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious, do you pay for the waste oil or do you take it off their hands for free? I have had a truck company offer to sell it to me and was curious that the fair price was if anything?

ranchhopper

Curious, do you pay for the waste oil or do you take it off their hands for free? I have had a truck company offer to sell it to me and was curious that the fair price was if anything?
It depends on what part of the country your in as to what waste oil refiners pay I think our company gets sixty cents a gallon. I keep all the oil that comes from the hydraulic systems and axles and transmissions they give it to me if I want it much cleaner than waste crank case oil. I usually run a little through the truck but I get virgin canola oil real cheap to run through my trucks Im a little lazy so just pouring in the canola oil works for me. I usually get six or seven fifty five gallon drums of oil every spring when the maintanance schedule calls for the oil to be replaced in all the loaders and field equipment and usually give it to friends to run in their trucks.

rolling18

It depends on what part of the country your in as to what waste oil refiners pay I think our company gets sixty cents a gallon. ..
:ditto::ditto: I pick it up for free, most of the enviro-companies will pick it up for free if its over a certain quantity. some will charge if under a certain amount.
thats where I come in:wink: theres allot of people wanting the stuff here.
its not like the "good ole days" anymore

As long as people are willing to pay for WMO / WVO, word is getting around and soon no one will give it away:roll:

Goose2448

I ran my deuce out, the service station was in sight. I was happy to have 5 gallons of generator gasoline in the back. Fired it up and headed to the station.
My grandfather ran out once in the gas station. Just far enough from the pump that he had to push it. Worst part was, he had JUST picked up the truck from the dealer.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Angie and I ran the m109 out of fuel on the way to the Uharrie rally last year, and on the way back that same trip! Now every stop, I top off, or at least look. We ran out the first time on a bridge on the highway, with two service stations and a truck stop in sight! I was going to fill the can when we stopped, so I didn't even have that much. Ran down the hill with the can, got gas (truck stop was across the highway, didn't feel like playing human frogger.) And got her going, enough to get off and get to the truck stop. On the way back, I was going down Highway 29 in VA, in the mountains, and ran out, right in the road, no place to pull off. Dropped two cans of diesel in, and got to the next station. Angie, is super pissed about running out, so I keep it above half a tank at all times. I've got another tank to put on the driver side.

I love the m818, start sucking air, just switch the fuel switch! Unless, you've already done that trick once on a trip, and forgot!

The WMO is starting to be bought up around here. I still get quite a bit from work, when I change the oil in the locomotives. :-o

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may not be the newest or most powerful, but what good is 200 HP if you have nothing to feed it???:mrgreen:
Who cares about the WMO, I want to know where the heck you got a 200Hp multi-fuel? (Not an LDS-2)

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sro, if you can just barely see it around the bottom of the strainer, it is just under half a tank. At least it is on mine.

Who cares about the WMO, I want to know where the heck you got a 200Hp multi-fuel?

Could have an LDS, or he got it from the same place 75mph deuces come from.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sro, if you can just barely see it around the bottom of the strainer, it is just under half a tank. At least it is on mine.

Could have an LDS, or he got it from the same place 75mph deuces come from.
That reminds me, I have to call about my M35A3 that was built in 2000....... ;-)

Gunnar1071

DEFINITELY need to look into this WMO WVO oil thing.

Any idea how mouch it costs to set up a filtrering unit?
Depends on if you get the drums for free, etc...

A basic, full cost (no freebies) systems around me is as follows:

2 55 gallon drums = $45
400 micron barrel screen = $30
55 Gallon WVO Oil Filters - 75, 100, 200, 400, 600 Micron - Utah Biodiesel Supply

75 micron barrel screen = $30

Barrel heater = $190
Heavy Duty Drum Band Heaters / Metal Drum Band Heater / Poly Drum Band Heater / 55 Gallon - Utah Biodiesel Supply

Filter heads, filters, hoses and clamps = $100

Hand or electric pump = $65-$125

Just pump it back into the cleaned out containers you got it in.