• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Ran when parked" thread.

R3Fab

"Ran when parked".
Post up your desert, forest, farm field, bomb-range, and barn finds.
Bonus points if you rescued the truck or found someone else to do so. ;)

Here is one sitting "Up on the hill" where I work part-time.
Ran When Parked, owners son says they used to drive it in the hills, might still run, but the seats and tires are all shot.
Not certain how long it's been sitting, don't know if it can be rescued, or would be worth the effort.
I think the tag on the dash says it's from the late 80's.

IMG_0256.jpgIMG_0258.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0257.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Being that is a 5 ton and not a deuce, maybe this belongs in the conversation section?

with the thin 5th wheel plate

Last edited:

R3Fab

Being that is a 5 ton and not a deuce, maybe this belongs in the conversation section?

818 with the thin 5th wheel plate
OOPS!
I know almost nothing of U.S. military vehicles despite having several friends who own a variety of them.
I frankly cannot imagine playing with something so very large and heavy out in our rough desert hills, who the heck could rescue you if you messed up?
Perhaps a Mod can move this to another section as suggested?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an M52 tractor, and it's likely still the old Continental R6602 gasoline engine in it. No fender mounted air filter gives it away. It looks fairly clean though not really valuable as it's about as gluttonous as a HEMTT without the fun.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20180828_115340.jpg

Two Canadian built M35 (Medium Logistics Vehicle, Wheeled - MLVW) daydreaming of better days. Junkyard close to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Ran when parked".
Post up your desert, forest, farm field, bomb-range, and barn finds.
Bonus points if you rescued the truck or found someone else to do so. ;)

Here is one sitting "Up on the hill" where I work part-time.
Ran When Parked, owners son says they used to drive it in the hills, might still run, but the seats and tires are all shot.
Not certain how long it's been sitting, don't know if it can be rescued, or would be worth the effort.
I think the tag on the dash says it's from the late 80's.

View attachment 798749View attachment 798750View attachment 798751View attachment 798752
Good grief, there is no rust on that thing! Even the windshield frames look pristine!

CMPPhil

Hi

Nice idea for a general thread showing MVs that ran when parked, but to put it in perspective need to have a picture of the same MV restored.

Cheers Phil

R3Fab

OK, so I guess I should put my Rover 101-FC in here,
In "The barn" the day I rescued it from Kalifornia.
Very low kilometers on it.
Did have to rebuild the brakes and replace a stuck clutch.

Sorry to have posted this thread to the wrong topic, maybe a Mod. can move it to conversations?

IMG_1063.JPG

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I frankly cannot imagine playing with something so very large and heavy out in our rough desert hills, who the heck could rescue you if you messed up?
Before I go down a strange road, I try to stay within 1 day's walk of some road that gets traffic. However, I am also considering getting a satellite phone in the future, or if Elon ever gets his project up and running, probably use his network. If you're referring to getting the vehicle out, well, that just takes a combination of time & money - the more you have of one, the less you need of the other.

R3Fab

Out here there is very little traffic in the hills.
Even the kids on quads/UTV's mostly play within sight of the paved roads or go out in groups.
I was mostly referring to recovery, even my Rover 1-Ton with Nokken PTO winch might not be able to right a 5-Ton.
I also know the local tow service would just laugh, they are not going to risk their 2WD slide-bed tow truck.
Personally I would like to see this 5-ton rescued, but the owner has weird ideas about value and virtually never sells anything.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
their 2WD slide-bed tow truck.
For what it's worth, a much larger tow truck, used for semi trailers is used for deuces. Towing isn't the only way to recover a vehicle though. A ten ton winch on another truck would probably do the trick to pull it out of something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks