• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Random hmmwv question- why are there velcro strips all over body

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would there be 4" strips of Velcro all over the body of my m998? Its very frustrating to get those dang strips off. Rant over.

Pierreab

Why would there be 4" strips of Velcro all over the body of my m998? Its very frustrating to get those dang strips off. Rant over.
Warming them with a heat gun or hair dryer should help to remove them and alcohol or prep solvent should remove the glue; you can also use the glue on the just removed strip to dab and pull off the glue quickly... good luck !!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Action

Did your HMMWV come from somewhere up north? The strips are likely from it having an arctic kit on it. The velcro is used to seal all gaps. You can find the kits in the TM and see if they are in the same places.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your HMMWV come from somewhere up north? The strips are likely from it having an arctic kit on it. The velcro is used to seal all gaps. You can find the kits in the TM and see if they are in the same places.
I got it on auction out of Alabama. It had been overseas at some point, Europe maybe? About 3-4 inches up from the bottom edges of tub, all the way around vehicle. About 30 of them. I'm going to have to burn them all off. No matter of razor blade or easy pulling gets them off. Just shreds, leaving residue. Oh well.

ikoinu

When you rip the velcro off and it leaves residue, you can use goo gone to get that off. Heat gun or hair dryer also helps, as previously stated.

Scrounger

If it is the hook side of the Velcro it may have been installed for use with MILES. The old MILES sensors were on strips that were held on with Velcro. I think the new system is different. The best thing I have found to remove the glue, stickers and what not is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Just make sure to wear gloves, safety glasses and use it outside. I find it easier to use in cold weather since it doesn’t evaporate so quickly.

54reo

My M1009 had them all over as well; came from a Guard unit in Arkansas.

Wide strips (~4") as stated.

Always wondered what they were for...

319cssb

Mines from TX had the strips too. Around the tailgate and window frame. I also wondered what they are for

Scrounger

I should add something else about MEK. It is OK to use on CARC; however, it will affect enamel paint. Just as acetone is used to determine whether one is dealing with CARC or enamel, MEK does the same thing.

DHAN12435

I got an 86 M998 that had Velcro strips placed on just about every panel you can think of. I was told the vehicle was used as some sort of decoy vehicle. Panels would be attached to the Velcro. In some cases to look like a tank or other more intimidating vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks