• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RAPCO Spray Can paint issues

rolling18

Seems a bit of a harsh condemnation of a vendor that many endorse and seem to defend ? Understand you may be having problems, as we all have with products from time to time, but from one newer member to an even newer member, I have to wonder if asking for advice or input first would have been better recieved ?

its a spray can.. should not be rocket science or need tip cleaning maintenance and/ or modification.

once again I have done ALL the steps listed by these great members.. is it just maybe possibly I got a thicker than usual batch?

i JUST tried all the above steps yet again.. SAME results. 2-5 seconds of spray time them to splatter and dribble all over.. only this time during the intense long term shaking of the can, the dribble mess got all over my recently black painted wheels!!! F*** these cans!!

I cant account for those who defend them MY experience has NOT been good.
I used up all my new tips, SAME result..
all I do is F***ING shake shake shake do I need a spray can agitator??

there is NO "operator error" maybe you missed where in my first post i have used 100's of spray paint products NONE with this many consistent problems.

Not at all telling you how to do anything, but I have to believe that thier product is by far thicker and heavier than the average, so adjustments and techniques may have to be changed ! Have read several remedies and solutions that may help, but just seeing the thread title seems to rub the wrong way, in my humble opinion.

I have tried those things.. they help for maybe a second or two longer,
how about this....
since others have also had problems, why doesn't the VENDOR buy QUALITY spray can tips appropriate for their "special" paint???

and yea as i said b4 I DO LIKE THE PAINT ITSELF!! My beef is with the cans/ tips
and lack of good customer service. and unwillingness to do the right thing.

Hope you find a remedy in all the posts, and will look forward to seeing how it works out ! Good Luck !

thank you I will need the luck because its very likely nothing will come of this
Have to add this, nopics
I don't know what i would take i picture of, my tan splattered black wheels?
the paint dribble splatter all over my hands from shaking? the clogged tips?:mrgreen:

for the very very brief few seconds it actually works its GREAT! :roll:

rolling18

I have used their rattle cans for years. This paint is thick and needs more that a brief shake to spray correctly. This sounds like operator error...

Before you blast them for not cutting their rattle can paint to a water like solution I ask that you learn how to use what they offer.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Whatever, I been using spray paint over 30 years.

I did everything suggested.

but thank you for your support:mrgreen:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spraying can be a problem but it's the nature of the paint. Most spray cans you buy at stores are very "watered down". That is why spray can paint generally doesn't hold up as well as other paint. The Rapco cans are the exact same paint you get when you buy gallons and will hold up just as well as the gallon paint.

I've had problems with the tips also but I'll admit it was operator error. I got in a hurry and didn't shake it enough. I know you said you shook it but you didn't shake it enough.

About the only other option you have is to go with Aervo if you want it in spray cans. I've heard that tan will turn pink over time though.

DLJ

I've bought spray cans from Rapco 3 or 4 times,had one batch of about six cans that would not spray. I ended up throwiing them away. Swore I'd never buy them again. But, about a month ago I bought 6 od green cans and they sprayed fine.

rolling18

The spraying can be a problem but it's the nature of the paint. Most spray cans you buy at stores are very "watered down". That is why spray can paint generally doesn't hold up as well as other paint. The Rapco cans are the exact same paint you get when you buy gallons and will hold up just as well as the gallon paint.

I've had problems with the tips also but I'll admit it was operator error. I got in a hurry and didn't shake it enough. I know you said you shook it but you didn't shake it enough.

About the only other option you have is to go with Aervo if you want it in spray cans. I've heard that tan will turn pink over time though.
yea I like the "paint" itself!!:mrgreen:
maybe ill just have to cut the can open and brush it on!:drool:
im NOT a big guy and my arms get tired of shaking a can sooooo much. and then all the sputtering dribble that goes all over the place what a mess!

who need the "Shake weight" as seen on tv when you got cRAPCO cans! lol:twisted:

3dAngus

On the gallons, RAPCO recommends you turn the can upside down and shake in a shaker for a whopping ten minutes to get all the sludge off the bottom. If the spray cans come from the same source, I can imagine a two minute shaking by itself would not be enough. Also, on the gallons, you dilute with a 80/20 mixture of xylene for spraying. You can't do that with a spray can, so it stands to reason extra care in handling the spray cans would be a necessity.

rolling18

I've bought spray cans from Rapco 3 or 4 times,had one batch of about six cans that would not spray. I ended up throwiing them away. Swore I'd never buy them again. But, about a month ago I bought 6 od green cans and they sprayed fine.
yea thats odd, I would expect some type of "customer service" from a company who clearly knows MANY people are having problems with their spray cans. and does nothing to change that. to me it is unacceptable, to throw away something you paid for.:roll: that was not your fault

rolling18

On the gallons, RAPCO recommends you turn the can upside down and shake in a shaker for a whopping ten minutes to get all the sludge off the bottom. If the spray cans come from the same source, I can imagine a two minute shaking by itself would not be enough. Also, on the gallons, you dilute with a 80/20 mixture of xylene for spraying. You can't do that with a spray can, so it stands to reason extra care in handling the spray cans would be a necessity.
yes I also noticed that when i read the directions,
but for sure im not going to buy a shaker/ agitator for a few cans of touch up heh

Capt.Marion

Just out of curiosity, does RAPCO package and sell the gallons and spray cans of GCI paint, or are they just a vendor (i.e. RAPCO buys the paint pre-packaged in gallons and spray cans from GCI)?

3dAngus

One other thing. I called Rapco to put in an order today. Long message, no human. Told me to leave a message and phone number in the end. I did, explained the problem I had with the web site, told them I wanted to make an order, but they never returned my call. I went back to the web site and solved the problem and order both the 4 gallon case and the 12 can mixed case. Hopefully, it willl all go well. I will definitely put them under the heat lamp overnight and warm the paint to thin it out. Thanks for the thread, even though it was not positive. Still a warning worth listening to, so I will take extra precaution because of it.

tlessin86

I have used both spray and gallon with no problem. Have received 2 different batches and still good. Like others have said its the paint. The original formula for this stuff is older than the hills and nothing like new paints. If you get a bad can just suck it up we all get screwed sometime in our life.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with SCSG-G4, I have learned to bring the box/case to home depot and ask them to shake them up for 30 seconds. Thats all it takes. 2cents

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Mark at Rapco when I had my first problem and he offered to replace defective cans. He only wanted me to return the problem cans for testing. I thought that was fair. I have placed four online orders so far with zero problems. They did call me once for clarification on an order prior to shipping.

Good luck

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished an m109 with their paint, no problem. We have painted 4 trucks recently all good results. My advise is to buy by the gallon. For touch up use a jam gun and thin with xylene. I have never had any luck with spray cans.

Bill W

No its not the same viscosity as gallon containers, rattle cans are reduced quite a bite more. Spray a rattle can of gillespie on a artist brush and you'll see how much thinner it is compared to dipping it into a gallon can of the same stuff even when its been reduced 4 or even 3 to 1.:wink:
I've been using Rapco spraycans since 1998 and I always seem to get at least one ( per order ) that gives me a problem spraying.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, does RAPCO package and sell the gallons and spray cans of GCI paint, or are they just a vendor (i.e. RAPCO buys the paint pre-packaged in gallons and spray cans from GCI)?
They buy the gallons and then fill the spray cans at Rapco with the gallons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks