• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rare 1/4 ton Mystery trailer

M casey stock

Hi everyone!
Who made this trailer? I bought this trailer a few years back under the impression that it was a home built unit. It was in very poor shape and because I was told it was home built I did not worry about any mods or paint color I chose to make (glad about that, because I really enjoy it like it is) also because I thought it was home built I didn't bother to take pictures before I started or during the resto. (sorry about that, I'll take pictures from now on regardless) Anyway, after restoring it, I thought it would be nice to show it to the old man I was told built it. He thought it looked great and was very glad to see it fixed up and back in use. I particularly liked the fenders because they have a vintage look, so I asked him what they came off of. He said "I have no idea, they were on it when I got it" I was like what, wait...I thought you built this trailer? He said "no, I bought it from a guy in Alabama and it was just like this when I got it" he went on to say he thought it was a "KIT" trailer. I had used it for a couple years after fixing it back up and one day I was bored and thought I would see if I could find anything out about an old trailer kit offered by Sears and Roebuck or whoever. Well, there was nothing out there at all on the "Kit" trailer subject, but plenty on old 1/4 ton trailers. The more I looked the more I was intrigued, but soon realized that I was having trouble finding a match. I was just about to give up and call this trailer a "one of homebuilt" figuring, that it must have been the Owner in Alabama that built it, and then I stumbled across a picture of one that looked just like mine did when I got it (except it looks a lot better than mine) same blue paint fading off the red oxide primer, same fenders, same same same, everything about it was the same except it had extra set of tail lights with guards on them (probably original, where the others are add on aftermarket like mine) So, I no longer figure it to be home built, because the likelihood of two of them being built exactly the same with the same blue paint and all in someones back yard are slim, not impossible, but slim. Well enough of my chatter, here are some pictures of mine and the one and only picture I have been able to find of another one like mine (no, the person that took the picture hasn't a clue of the manufacture either)

1a.jpg 1b.jpg 1c.jpg 1f.jpg 1i.jpg 2 tail lamp.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

M casey stock

That is as close as I have found too, but no exact matches as of yet. Converto has been in business since 1939, so I guess this one could be pre-WWII? The way my frame is built is different than the pictures of Converto frames I've seen, similar, but enough different to make you wonder. I haven't seen any Converto trailers with the same fenders as mine, at one point I figured the original ones got bent and these are just some that got put in place of them. Then I found the picture of the blue trailer above, same exact fenders. So I feel my fenders are indeed original. Many other characteristics are so much alike that one can't help but feel that they have to be related. I would just love to see some pictures to confirm the manufacture and a date would be nice too.
4.jpg 1948-civilian-converto-trailer7-650x365.jpg
My axle is the same as one you would find under an early 40's Spen trailer, but I don't know if Spen made their own or purchased them from someone else? I haven't seen a Converto with this type of square tube axle, screw on grease caps on the hubs and wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts. Here is an example of the axle I'm describing, it's from under the Spen m100 military style trailer in the back ground.
spen16_zps158ed4b8.jpg
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and post the links, I'm not quite ready to call it a Converto, but most likely that is who made it.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Nice trailer, and as stated earlier a state is required, "Mid South (paid for and well kept)" is not a location as we have members from all over in different countries. Location can't be US(A) either. Don't have to put your city if you don't wish, just a state.