• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ratio of colors in NATO 3-tone (M1009)

maetl

Greetings all,

I've decided to go with spray cans (CARC substitute) from RAPCO for my M1009.

I'm at the point of ordering the paint. I've read on here it takes about 17 cans do to a CUCV, and I'm going to order 24 cans (given the special price) from RAPCO to do it.

However, while I have the schematics of the NATO 3-tone pattern, it doesn't necessarily say just how much (in percentage) is used in the pattern for an M1009.

Mark at RAPCO suggested 25% black, 25% brown, and 50% green. However, it seems to me there is significantly more black in the pattern, and very little if at all brown.

My father, an owner of a 1951 M37 said he thought he had read that the pattern ratio was 45:45:10 (green, black, brown). That sounds a little more accurate, but I thought I'd check with you all and see if anyone knows for sure.

I'm doing the "final revision" NATO 3-tone.

Thanks,
-maetl

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is very little brown. It is mostly black with just a slightly less amount of green. The percentages are in the manual along with the color diagrams. If I remember correctly the #1 spots are black, #2 is green and #3's are painted brown on the diagrams.

rlwm211

I Just repainted my deuce in 3 color. Figure about 45% green. 35% Black and 20% brown. I found the same ratio to be in effect when I painted my Suburban 3 color also.
If you read the TM's regarding the painting of camo, they generally recommend painting the entire vehicle green, and then adding the other colors. Obviously, none of us have the deep pockets the Army does for this kind of extravagent use of paint. Still, as I recall there was a ratio expressed as to the amount of area each color covered.
My numbers are based on how much paint I used. I repainted an existing 3 color camo on my deuce, but I created a 3 color camo on my Suburban so I may be off some.

Just mny two Cents

RL

maetl

Ok, I found it. Just to help others who search for this thread, Army Bulletin TB43-0209 states the following:

44% Green
41% Black
15% Brown

Thanks for your help, all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks