• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rats........ broke my j-pipe

TIGERFANS2

for about a year I've been getting excessive slobber out of the exhaust, specially after heavy rains, this WITH a coffee can over the end....
last year I had a coffee can on that I'd put a dent in to help hold it on when the wind blows ( Kansas.........) but it bit the dust when it rolled under the tire and I forgot to get out and check before I drove off so I replaced it.
so anyway, we had about 2" of rain this week and when I started the deuce I again got a Bunch of water out???
hmmmmmmmm and it wasn't just coming out of the end of the pipe. The j-pipe is split near the top of the straight part behind the tire. Nice big split that lets water in.

methinks my old coffee can stayed on a bit too good once and the pipe relieved pressure another way :sad:

since it's on top and not obviously rusted out I'm going to try to have it patched, shipping on a j-pipe to kansas is likely to be a beatch and I know a guy ...

DieselBob

While your at it be sure to check the elbow pipe (#16). They seem to have a habit of rusting out on the back side where you can't see it. When my "J" pipe was toast so was the elbow. 2cents

Attachments

197thhhc

They are easy to repair. When you do put a small hole at the lowest point to let the water stay drained out and it wont rust out again or shoot out water.:grd:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And use a two liter soft drink bottle. Just need to cut out a little of the top so it will slip on. They stay on here until the engine fires up, then go sailing. If you're lazy and there is a Sam's Club, get one of the Pub Mix plastic containers. Eat the contents, throw the top away and slip it onto the top of the pipe. Because they have very little open at the bottom, both of the above will stay in place under most wind circumstances.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some parts on these trucks that are getting harder and harder to find...and a good J pipe is one of them. They are almost non-existent in NOS form. Unless someone starts to fabricate them, this is a part that will be tough to find in the coming years...at least in my opinion. I know some surplus dealers won't even sell good take offs because they keep them for their own trucks.

Seth_O

Could an exhaust/muffler shop fabricate a new j-pipe? It seems like it wouldn't be too complex a job for guys that do this for a living.

Mine will eventually give out - but my gut says I am years from that still. That means there will likely be no j-pipes out there when it gets to be my turn.

randini

I have the dreaded "Rust Hole" in my J-pipe. I just ordered exhaust pipe bends and fittings, and will try to weld up the pipe myself. Has anyone else done this? I cant be that hard? Can it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had repaired one of mine with a few 90 elbows of new exhaust pipe that I bought somewhere.

Was easy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Could an exhaust/muffler shop fabricate a new j-pipe? It seems like it wouldn't be too complex a job for guys that do this for a living.
Unless you can find a muffler shop that can work with larger diameter pipe that may be difficult. I had problems when I put a muffler on my NA M275. There are big rig shops that can do it. Most of the time when you get to larger diameters you have to use the band clamps to join the pipes together.

ryan77

Find a bus repair shop they can bend them for you! Or a commercial electrician with a bender! Ive seen them bend 4" and larger conduit on the job site with a portable bender!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks