• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RATT Rig

greg6459

Anybody here have a restored RATT Rig?
I have recently acquired an M1028 and will be looking for an S-250 Shelter for the rear and am looking for inspiration pics...

Thanks

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI! popacom BILL KAGIN III in Ky. here. There is a guy in Forum on S.S. M-715's who posted some real sharp pics of a GRC-106 RAT rig ,also if you are interested PM me and I will look up some sources I tracked down when I was hunting for an S-250 to go on my M-561 Goat.

Thanks! popacom /Bill:mrgreen: KI4QQB in KY.

ONTOS66

Get in touch with m38inmaine he has a restored rig in Maine. Some photos of his outfit in the this section in the S250 ham conversion thread.

Attached are some photos of my S250 on the M1028. Unfortunately all of the radios had been removed. I'm slowly cleaning it out and will install some HAM gear in it, keeping the original racks for conversion to shelves. Will probably get rid of the electrical panels, etc. and set it up with a power setup like a camper or trailer.

Attachments

greg6459

go to my website, lots of pics of a GRC-122 minus the TTYs, but they are on the way.

Great page!

That was a tremendous find!

When you said that you rescued it from scrap at DRMO...
Did you win an auction, or did/do you have some sort of other arrangement?

Thanks

Wile E. Coyote

Great page!

That was a tremendous find!

When you said that you rescued it from scrap at DRMO...
Did you win an auction, or did/do you have some sort of other arrangement?

Thanks
Can't answer for Richard, but before the DRMOs got all uptight you could walk over to the scrap side from the GL side and talk to the guys with the scrap contract and make a deal or two. The way it generally worked was that whomever had the scrap contract had to keep the stuff piled in their area of the base moving (i.e. you couldn't let it accumulate), but other than that the definition of 'scrapped' seemed to vary, as did the procedure for its disposal. Once I saw literally stacks of brand new mod tent center sections, tan FMTV tops still in the boxes, brand-new tow bar adapters, Bose combat headsets and all sorts of other crap in the scrapyard - where GL had nothing but triwalls of garbage on their shelves for four sales in a row (typically things like WIDGET, BRASS, QTY 1400, PN 9M31403, UOC NSN 2112-01-246-2183 FLEET OILER USS BILGEWATER..))

Anyhow, once there was this S280 shelter - complete piece of shyte as a shelter - but one that had a turret ring and legs of an M1025 Humvee bolted into the roof as a target-trainer. It was in the scrap. We made a side deal for it as 'good for parts', and the scrap guys sold it to us for its weight in rusty sheet metal and angle iron. Voila! One more demilled Humvee hardtop with its ring and hatch back. Saw a few boxfulls of Motorola Secure Saber radios, batteries, remote mikes and chargers too. Go figure.

For awhile there they'd make inexplicable choices as to what vehicles went to GL and what went to scrap. Two identical M1009 Blazers came up once from the same unit: one went through GL and got the usual $2250 or so bid -- the other went straight to scrap and was sold to someone for $800 without a title. A bunch of M52A2s came up through GL --- yet 8 or so M915 low-miler tractor units with nice Cummins 400s and Cat or Allison automatics went straight to the scrapyard. It was just...mindblowing...but knowing the outrageously lazy nature of the folks who work at some of the DRMS locations we deal with...hardly surprising.

For a good example of the kind of stuff going out for scrap at a DRMS near you -- hit up Ebay and check out vendor Austin Aviation ("beltfed34") - and that's only the smallest part of it. Evidently they've brained up with respect to the vehicle nonsense (at least this side of the Mississippi), but other stuff still goes to the scrapyard. I mean...operational jet engines and stuff? C'mon. Surely some third world dictator would give Uncle a pile'o'money for that stuff...or some of the FMS nations we support.

greg6459

I guess I will need to do some more searching and try to do something similar.
I really don't want to go all the way to Ft. Hood at 45mph, but I may not have a choice. It always seems that the best deals are not usually advertised/public knowledge...

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody here have a restored RATT Rig?
I have recently acquired an M1028 and will be looking for an S-250 Shelter for the rear and am looking for inspiration pics...

Thanks
Here is my AN/GRC-142(A/C). It was an "A" model but upgraded TTY makes it sort of a hybrid. Common military conversion when the UGC-74 became available so I swapped out the TT-98. 100% complete and operating. I use it on AC power, the 28 volt generator trailer or the vehicle power. I had to repair most everything in there and find some missing parts. Still need to repair the chair! In a following post, I'll show my latest acquisition.

Attachments

Rich Johnson

Really nice rig there rboltz. I just picked up the TT-98 and TT-76 for my GRC-122 rig this week at the Tower Park meet in Nor Cal. I also recived a UGC-74A V3, however, the common problem of the paper rollers, they melt at room tempreture so the gray rubber is now a gooy liquid throughout the machine, and the paper is glued in with it. Should be fun to try and clean that mess up.
I hope to have my TTYs up and recieving soon, Txin will be a while untill I can repair my GRC-106 amps.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also recived a UGC-74A V3, however, the common problem of the paper rollers, they melt at room tempreture so the gray rubber is now a gooy liquid throughout the machine, and the paper is glued in with it. Should be fun to try and clean that mess up.
Near impossible. I think acetone is about the best solvent I have tried. I have all "B" model UGC-74's and they don't have that problem. However, ribbons are the problem with the "B" & "C". If you find a "B" with a cartridge, you can replace the ribbon in it.

I missed ribbons from a guy in Virginia. He had 1,300 of them and did not know what they were. By the time I contacted him, he tossed them in the dumpster and they were gone. Missed them by 4 days!!

If you need "A" parts, I have a few totes full but no platens.

Rich Johnson

I'm unemployed right now, and I just got back from the tower park meet in nor Cal. I really cant justify going to the MRCG meet. Im so bummed. Ive wanted to go for a few years, but I could never really get away from the job, now they let me go and I still cant get up there.
Ed Z offered to let me tag along with him, but I really just cant expend the resources.

Thats a nice Humvee you have NF6X.
Ide like to get one when I get back on my feet and replace my worn out F-150 before it dies a horrible death.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks