• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rattle can paint advice

flynhi

Hello, Anyone have any experience with "Remington" camo paint? I came across the firearms branded paint in spray cans in 3 colors at my local Farm & Fleet. I need to do some touch up on my new 923.

Thanks,
Scott

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about ready to paint. I just finished the majority of the mechanical work and frame work. I just threw the body panels on yesterday....bed is still off. I have a few more things to do and I should be laying down paint next week. I still have to get one of those pistol grip things for the cans. Wally World didn't have any. I'll have to make the 1/2 trip to Home Depot.
You might need to stop by a bonifide paint store...have not seen them at the wally world or big box stores.
Please post your progress!

hillbillygmc

You might need to stop by a bonifide paint store...have not seen them at the wally world or big box stores.Please post your progress!
Unfortunatly, there are no bonified paint stores in my area. I live out in the sticks. I'm a bit behind schedule because of the weather but I'm hoping to lay down paint on Monday. Pics will follow.

hillbillygmc

Just got done with the green portion of the truck. The rattle cans worked ok. I'm sure it'd be better using a compressor. Doing it in my yard so I couldn't control the conditions.....dust etc. I have a couple of gnats forever immortalized in the paint, which is kinda cool. It aint a show truck. Just wondering if wet sanding would help get rid of some of the imperfections, or if it'd make it worse. Maybe I'll try it on a small section. Tomorrow I'll lay down the black portion for the bottom half. Going with Rhino liner for that.
paint 1.jpg

BAZYRKYR

I followed everyone's advice when I started painting my M818. Got a small wire brush and used it on all the surfaces with flaking paint and rust.. Then I pressured washed the entire truck (soaping it down first before using clean water). Then I primed all the bare metal areas and where there was remaining rust (Rustoleum self priming). Then started using the Rapco rattle cans (desert tan). I am about halfway done and am very pleased with the look and the results.

View attachment 443904

Only thing is rattle cans do not work well on large flat surfaces such as the hood and roof. Paint tends to drip off the can. I also have a gallon of the Rapco paint and will roll the large top surfaces. The weather was also perfect, not too hot and with low humidity. Looking forward to a finished job.
How did rolling the paint on the flat spots turn out? Can you tell it was rolled on and does it blend nicely with the parts of the truck you used rattle cans on?

gpp111

I did use a paint roller on the roof, hood, and the deck behind the cab. Turned out great. You can barely see the roll marks on the hood from inside the cab, so I will do some light rattle can spraying there, but overall, the paint roller worked very well. It also allows a thicker coat on the top surfaces where you need it. The color is desert sand, so I can not tell you how other colors would work out with the same process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks